Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Our problems with the 770 LMT has been that on two occasions the routing has taken us far out of the way. One time it lengthened our drive win very rainy weather. Fortunately the second time we knew the route and ignored it's advice and did not encounter any RV obstacles that would have justified the routing it gave.
Texas John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
Yes, and add my voice to all the praises of Garmin. Now another story for Chrysler, Ford, and GM. I bought all those fancy Navs for my Cars and Truck including one from Honda. The systems are harder to use and don't offer any reasonable updates like Garmin. I wish the powers to be would make the automakers to allow Garmins to be integrated into their fancy systems. All of my newer cars and trucks with all the features are dead ended systems with expensive yearly updates that can not touch the features of my Garmins.
Now wait a damn minute! My Ford offered updates.... to the tune of $159.99 each.
It just ain't fair to say they weren't offered .
I told then no thank you, I'll just use my Garmin, stuck it to the screen for my next oil change to the Ford dealership... lol
Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Check again. I missed it the first time.
Checked again. Nope.
There is some sort of a card slot on the back, but no data port.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #46

Harmon 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Update... update
So I checked my Garmin Express this AM and updated GE
Now RV 770 connects AOK to PC w Win 7 and not only recognizes the device but shows software and map updates available... yeah!
Updated the S/W and firmware first (quick)
Map update underway (hrs?)

So far happy camper today!

Thanks to those that confirmed they were able to update.
I don't understand the tech support yesterday unless they also provide paid assist and he was trying to track up paid service??
You do not need a PC to update the 770. It connects automatically thru WiFi to Garmin site, I never use a computer to update.
Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #47

Quote:
So up to now I have been pleased w/ my Garmin RV 770
Getting ready to leave on a spring trip and wanted to update it per the "Lifetime Map Update" it was marketed as having.
Would not connect - would not update - connected w/ Garmin map update page and chatted w/ agent and a "tech" called me back immediately.
He floored me by telling me my Garmin had lifetime "Mapr" updates but the drivers had not been updated and it would be $135 fee to update the drivers to allow the map updates.

This is pure garbage IMHO and simply a $ grab by Garmin
If they advertise free map updates but don't tell you the driver needs to be updated very 3 mos or the "fail" / self destruct it is just a marketing scam to me.

I guess it's the last Garmin product I will buy
Encourage others to BE AWARE - There are no FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES

I just updated mine about a week ago.

Did all the driver updates automatically.

But............she screws up more than ever on route selection.

So...........????
MajorOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have the Garmin 770 also and - in the last 4 months - it has seriously taken us to 1) the wrong place, 2) on the wrong route, and 3) been unable to find a street address. I have consistently updated the Garmin via the Garmin Express app on my iMac. We now regularly keep Waze running on my iPhone for better directions!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Agree. I had to purchase yearly updates for my Honda Pilot's navigation system. Garmin is portable.

My new Equinox has the ability to use Google Maps and Waze and I believe another. Goggle is new to the 2019 models. Now my car does not have the built in Nav maps. I believe they are getting away from that system. Also I can put in a turn by turn in my phone from inside the house and then plug into the car and upload it. I hope I explained this correctly.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Makes you wonder who’s lifetime they are refering to, the GPS or you life?
Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions
<snip>
if your Garmin product comes bundled with a nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription, you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. </snip>

So actually its the lifetime of the device. If the updates are too big for the memory, for example, the lifetime ends.!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #51

Major disappointment Garmin RV 770

So I’ve been thinking of this issue and my new truck has Apple Car Play so when I plug in my phone, waze, google maps and the Apple maps can come up to give directions. It’s very cool.

There are so many tools to use. I have the motor carriers book, next exit, mountain east and west, all paperback for planning: got rest stop, lovees, blue beacon, myPilot, and zillion other apps for Campground reviews plus harvest host, all these appsand I’m sure you guys know more than me.

So I got thinking.....I don’t need a GPS to plan, I need it to accurately get me to a place so I encounter no low bridges and no unforced errors up a mountain dirt road.

So it’s good to hear you folks like the 770 LMT-S. I have the Rand 7710 right now, it’s 6 years old maybe 7 and it is prone to lock up at times.

So have any of you considered getting the Garmin trucker app?

I’m also worried about information overload. I have the rear camera on my new fifth wheel, New Garmin gps if I get it, I could run google or waze for a backup on Apple car play, got my Ezee tpms. Truck tpms, temperatures while towing and I was thinking of getting the garmin 45 or 55 or one with lane departure. Geez!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #52

I had a torque me off experience w Google Maps last year coming back from the Hershey RV show. Google must have seen an issue somewhere and routed me North to Akron Ohio instead of by the big Cableas in West Virginia. And it didn’t notify me or I just missed it. 45 minutes of extra driving by the time I caught the issue.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
So up to now I have been pleased w/ my Garmin RV 770
Getting ready to leave on a spring trip and wanted to update it per the "Lifetime Map Update" it was marketed as having.
Would not connect - would not update - connected w/ Garmin map update page and chatted w/ agent and a "tech" called me back immediately.
He floored me by telling me my Garmin had lifetime "Mapr" updates but the drivers had not been updated and it would be $135 fee to update the drivers to allow the map updates.

This is pure garbage IMHO and simply a $ grab by Garmin
If they advertise free map updates but don't tell you the driver needs to be updated very 3 mos or the "fail" / self destruct it is just a marketing scam to me.

I guess it's the last Garmin product I will buy
Encourage others to BE AWARE - There are no FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES
I suspect a scammer is on staff and was trying to collect your personal info. We have had Garmin for years and have never had this problem. Call again and ask to speak with a supervisor.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Be sure it is the Garmin 770 LMT-S made for RV's; my works perfect. My RV has an integrated Rand McNally in the dash; that is worthless.
RCouttolenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I suspect a scammer is on staff and was trying to collect your personal info. We have had Garmin for years and have never had this problem. Call again and ask to speak with a supervisor.
I haven't read every line of the four pages on this post but it seems to me that everyone is missing something the OP has said. Post 12 "Now RV 770 connects AOK to PC w Win 7 and not only recognizes the device but shows software and map updates available... yeah!". He is using a PC with Win 7. Those may be the drivers that the Tech was talking about that are the problem not within the Garmin. MS has stopped supporting Win 7 a few years back.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I haven't read every line of the four pages on this post but it seems to me that everyone is missing something the OP has said. Post 12 "Now RV 770 connects AOK to PC w Win 7 and not only recognizes the device but shows software and map updates available... yeah!". He is using a PC with Win 7. Those may be the drivers that the Tech was talking about that are the problem not within the Garmin. MS has stopped supporting Win 7 a few years back.
What he said. [emoji115]
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote