Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #15

I've got an older garmin and am done with alluvem! My Smarty-phone is the best GPS I've ever seen....constantly updated with everything....very reliable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #16

Update Success - Thanks to All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I realize you've solved the problem, but for future reference and for others. I updated the map on my 770 earlier this week (and the firmware last week) by connecting the GPS to my home wifi and let it download the update itself. No need to connect GPS to the computer, just connect the GPS to wifi and then have it check for updates.
As I recall, both the wifi connection and the 'check for updates' is under Settings. I don't recall the exact steps, but neither of them are hard to find if you're looking for them (and IF you know to look).
Yes you are correct and that's actually what I ended up doing.
When connected to PC my GPS wasn't charging so I connected a charge line to GPS and connected to my WiFi to actually do the DL.
Update done and working with it now.

A little easier to think this AM after cooling of overnight - I was a little torqued up after dealing w/ the "tech rep" more like "bandit"

Route planned and we leave tomorrow AM.

Thanks again
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #17

so they want us to update at least every year but the problem I see is on a older unit after the update my unit takes up to 15 minuets to " find satellites "

I think they do this so I have to go and buy a new unit ?

The old unit I had in my toad did this for two years ? one time after I was using it in Florida and left for home . two days later I turn it back on when I got home and it took 2 days to figure out I was not in Florida any more ? Work and home both days 15 miles each way .

Ended up paying for a new one

With my rand mcnally rv unit I have never had any problems and it is old ?
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
No update problems with our 770
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopkat View Post
I've got an older garmin and am done with alluvem! My Smarty-phone is the best GPS I've ever seen....constantly updated with everything....very reliable.
Until you have no "Smarty-phone" cell signal.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I realize you've solved the problem, but for future reference and for others. I updated the map on my 770 earlier this week (and the firmware last week) by connecting the GPS to my home wifi and let it download the update itself. No need to connect GPS to the computer, just connect the GPS to wifi and then have it check for updates.
As I recall, both the wifi connection and the 'check for updates' is under Settings. I don't recall the exact steps, but neither of them are hard to find if you're looking for them (and IF you know to look).
podivin, Thank you for the info on the wifi, I didn't know 770 can update on wifi. I can update my gps in the motorhome, just using my wifi from my house.. sweet!
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #21

I wonder if the site you contacted was one of those "snatch" groups you see so much of on the internet. You ask for Garmin and they redirect you to their site so they can sell you something.

If you get to a real Garmin site, that should work fine.

Glad you got it working.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

Which phone app are you using? Keep in mind if it is a free app then you are being tracked for monetization purposes. Personally I’m moving away from Waze (google) to Garmin for this reason.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Until you have no "Smarty-phone" cell signal.

Google maps allows downloading maps of your choice to your phone so you dont need cell signal..as long as you have the storage space for the maps needed for anticipated offline GPS function

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...rm%3DiOS&hl=en
Old 02-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
This is pure garbage IMHO and simply a $ grab by Garmin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Update... update
So far happy camper today!

Thanks to those that confirmed they were able to update.
So does this now mean it isn't per garbage and you are no longer "disappointment in the Garmin RV 770" ?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
So does this now mean it isn't per garbage and you are no longer "disappointment in the Garmin RV 770" ?
YES... I like the unit but the so called tech support person I connected w was terrible.
Second attempt the next day worked fine.
Happy camper again and on the other road.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Does your "Smarty-phone" take into account your RV Height/Width/Weight/Length??
If not you may get led down a road you shouldn't be on.

I do agree that the Waze and other apps may be more up to date but they should be used in conjunction with some sort of RV or Truck mapping system if you're using one at all.
At a minimum get a Truck/RV Road Atlas to plan the route.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
Does your "Smarty-phone" take into account your RV Height/Width/Weight/Length??
If not you may get led down a road you shouldn't be on.

I do agree that the Waze and other apps may be more up to date but they should be used in conjunction with some sort of RV or Truck mapping system if you're using one at all.
At a minimum get a Truck/RV Road Atlas to plan the route.
You'll have the same problems with an out of date Garmin, etc.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninnj View Post
Which phone app are you using? Keep in mind if it is a free app then you are being tracked for monetization purposes. Personally I’m moving away from Waze (google) to Garmin for this reason.
I Just use Google Maps. I tried Waze for a while but find Google Maps easier to use. Only drawback I've found is the turn by turn directions sometimes don't give you enough advance notice of The next turn. It can be a problem if you have a quick left after a right turn. You can see the arrow but I usually just listen to the verbal directions. I just say a destination, restaurant, etc. and the city it's in...hit directions....hit start and off you go.