Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I think MMO is 1950's technology. You have Mobile 1 today and I would not mess that up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #16

Take a good look at the MMO. Looks just like transmission fluid doesn't it. Tranny fluid will work as an additive just as well as MMO. Been there, done that.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my 45 years plus as an auto/truck mechanic I am not a beleiver in additives but I have used MMO to free up stuck hyd.lifters and remove water from automatic transmisions when the trans cooler fails so it does have its uses but as far as just puting it in your engine or gas for preventive maint. NO.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Retired Senior Member

I added the recommended amount of MMO to my 1999 Jeep's oil and gasoline when it had only 765 miles on it on December 12,1999. It now has 100,750 miles and the engine still runs smoothly.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
I added the recommended amount of MMO to my 1999 Jeep's oil and gasoline when it had only 765 miles on it on December 12,1999. It now has 100,750 miles and the engine still runs smoothly.
Was that the last time you changed your oil?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Was that the last time you changed your oil?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
I only change the oil on my '99 Tahoe, top brand oils.
140k, runs smooth, original plugs, wires, and air filter.
MMO not needed with modern oils.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #22

I can't believe Marvel's Mystery Oil is still on the market. I will NEVER consider putting it in my Cummins engine, Allison transmission or Honda CR-V. Last report I read from an independent lab showed MMO actually degraded oil and made the engine components wear faster.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
I guess I'm one of those old school people when it comes to MMO. I don't believe there's any benefit putting it in the oil though. Freeing up stuck hydralic lifters?! Geeze, you gotta really be neglecting your oil changes for your lifters to get that gummed up. As far as using it in gas though. I've used it in the gas on our motor home with good results, for both the Chevy 8.1 engine and the Onan 7k genny. Motor home had sat for several months prior to our purchase and the engine had a little stumble and the gen would skip a ocassionally. I talked to a generator mechanic and he suggested the carberator on the gen may have varnished. Something that can occur in generator and boat motors. I considered SeaFoam, but didn't want to pay the price. Ran MMO through tank as directions instructed. Motor home engine started running smoother, as did the generator. I wouldn't go so far as calling it snake oil. It works well to disolve varnish deposits on injectors or carberator jets and also acts well as an upper cyliner lubricant. Beyond that, I wouldn't use if for anything.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
I can't believe Marvel's Mystery Oil is still on the market. I will NEVER consider putting it in my Cummins engine, Allison transmission or Honda CR-V. Last report I read from an independent lab showed MMO actually degraded oil and made the engine components wear faster.
I will never consider putting anythingin my Cat, Allison transmission or Ford Explorer except what it came with.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
I only change the oil on my '99 Tahoe, top brand oils.
140k, runs smooth, original plugs, wires, and air filter.
MMO not needed with modern oils.
J
The 351 in my '91 E350 had right at 200k when I took it out of service. It ran just as good as it did when I bought it at 10k. I took very poor care of it. The only motor problem was a rear main seal leak because I took just as poor care of the transmission and it got so hot it fried the rear main. To my credit the manual said that the transmission fluid never need to be changed and I took it as such, it got replaced at 175k when it was too late. I did replace the plugs at about 120k and had to replace them again when the diaphram in the fuel rail pressure regulator got a hole in it and the got fouled. point being......hell I don't know.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
The 351 in my '91 E350 had right at 200k when I took it out of service. It ran just as good as it did when I bought it at 10k. I took very poor care of it. The only motor problem was a rear main seal leak because I took just as poor care of the transmission and it got so hot it fried the rear main. To my credit the manual said that the transmission fluid never need to be changed and I took it as such, it got replaced at 175k when it was too late. I did replace the plugs at about 120k and had to replace them again when the diaphram in the fuel rail pressure regulator got a hole in it and the got fouled. point being......hell I don't know.

J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post

J
Thanks, I'm new to the motorhome world. Guess I should post my entry saga somewhere?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #28

oh, I had a can of mmo in the garage the whole time!