Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2023, 07:22 PM   #29

It is the adventure that needs to be appreciated. One could spend a half million dollars on a rig but still not get anything significantly better than a $40k, 15 yo coach. They all have their problems. I drive daily, a 60 yo truck because I like it not because I can’t afford something new.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMORGAN View Post
2005 38 foot. We'll stick it out for now. The best part of our purchase was we saw it online at camping world...priced at 48k. They screwed up when they put it on their website and it was supposed to be 78k. We had looked at enough coaches to know mid to high 70s was typical for the year and condition. I had a screen shot of the ad from Camping World and they honored the low price. I could sell at any time and not lose any money
And you’re complaining?
KMMcGovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #31

My opinion

most people sell an RV after they stop using it and it sits for some time. The worst thing for RV appliances and devices is to not use them. If they sit idle .. they die. Likely you are dealing with a back log of stuff that is failing from lack of use. once you work thru the back log then there will still be stuff failing but less often

if you are not full time and have a house, then half the fun is tinkering with the RV. Fixing stuff. Before I bought my RV I was sedentary ... after getting the RV I am very very active.

I learned a lesson. I grew up working on cars as my dad was a mechanic. I hated to work on cars and didn't understand neighbors that had a project car and worked on it nites and weekends. I thought what is wrong with those guys. Then it dawned on me. 1) If you HAVE to work on it ... then its work. 2) If you WANT to work on it ... then its pleasure. An RV is less pressure if your not full time and using everything each day and you need everything to work all the time.

Test every device and system on your RV thoroughly. Make a list of things to do and prioritize. Work off the list. When you fix something ... fix it bullet proof such that it will never fail again, if possible. NEVER band aide something if at all possible. Fix and test anything you suspect of having a problem. If you hear a sound, a vibration, etc ... test it out and fix the ROOT CAUSE. It will break at the worst possible time. Mechanical things do not heal or recover ... 2nd law of Thermo ... things deteriorate over time ... they don't get better

The working on the RV ... the tinkering is half of the fun.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #32

Quote:
I shouldn't complain...I'm the guy that bought a 17 year old coach to ease into the hobby. First trip out had no problems...just a short trip close to home to familiarize ourselves with all the systems. Second trip out we had electrical problems that I posted about weeks ago. Several hundred dollars in repairs to get things ready for our memorial day trip. Tried to use the awning for the first time yesterday and nothing happens when trying to extend it. Didn't let that ruin our trip and just figured I'd get to it later. Got home a few hours ago and unpacked all our gear. Popped all 4 slides out so we could do a thorough cleaning. Now that we're done I've got a living room slide that won't retract properly. Front part of the slide moves but the rear doesn't. I think I've now spent more in repairs and maintenance than I've made in payments on this toy. Maybe I should have stuck with delta and Marriott?
You have probably heard this already but stick with it for a bit. We blew our water pump on our second trip and it cost us a pretty penny to repair, and I do not mean the domestic water pump I mean the Cummins water pump. No real way to easily see that coming so we got it fixed and we figure good since that is one thing we will never have to touch again.
JMB111333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:13 PM   #33

Maybe hobby ain’t for me?

I am sorry to hear that. I too bought older DP but have had great luck. First had A 1997 Dutch Star 37, Spartan, Cummins. Full timed for 4 yrs in it traveling tens of thousands of miles. No significant. Problems. Worst problem was had to replace a Jack HWH. Then nearly 5 yrs ago now bought a yr2000 Dutch Star 38, Spartan, Cummins. Again have full timed nearly 4 of 5 yrs. Again replaced an HWH jack, and recently had the alternator rebuilt ($148 ). I took it out and re-installed it myself. I am 79 so it couldn’t have been to hard a job. Do most of routine maintenance myself. Have had to do typical petty repairs like a broken door latch linkage, Lights, etc. but nothing major.

Now I must say, when I was in Elkhart, IN getting a body repair from a truck that side swiped us. We had some time to kill so bycicled around the area. We went down to the Monico facility and there were LOTs of very unhappy campers (literally) there MANY do to repeated slide issues. We have never had a slide issue in our now 23 yr old coach. The mechanism on both the 1997 and the 2000 are the same. It is a tapered cog in round holed track. And they are very dependable. I am getting ready to replace one of the fantastic fans and really not much else. A very happy camper with now 2 older Newmar coaches. PS, the 97 was a 250 HP Cummins C and was the last of the non- electronic engines. The 2000 has an 8.3 ISC 300 HP. I never felt that I had any problem for power with either. Went up every major mountain range in the country without a probem. In a hurry, take a jet. I crossed oceans in my sailboats at a walking to jogging speed. Getting there is at least half the fun. Tranquilly Amigo.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #34

Quote:
I shouldn't complain...I'm the guy that bought a 17 year old coach to ease into the hobby. First trip out had no problems...just a short trip close to home to familiarize ourselves with all the systems. Second trip out we had electrical problems that I posted about weeks ago. Several hundred dollars in repairs to get things ready for our memorial day trip. Tried to use the awning for the first time yesterday and nothing happens when trying to extend it. Didn't let that ruin our trip and just figured I'd get to it later. Got home a few hours ago and unpacked all our gear. Popped all 4 slides out so we could do a thorough cleaning. Now that we're done I've got a living room slide that won't retract properly. Front part of the slide moves but the rear doesn't. I think I've now spent more in repairs and maintenance than I've made in payments on this toy. Maybe I should have stuck with delta and Marriott?
Refresh our memory, was this the barn find?? Asking for a friend. 🤓

As for fixes, just take one failure at a time, search the internet and YouTube. You will find that most issues are bad fuzes, broken wires or just not familiar with the systems. Owning a motorhome can be daunting. Trust me, the first time you take your coach into a RV service center for a fix and you realize that YOU could’ve fixed it for less than half the price, then you’ll learn real quick. Been there done that.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #35

Let me jump in here for a bit as I daily read through the various posts to gather information on what's going on in RV land.

To qualify things I am 83 and my wife is 75. Since we both decided that flying and/or long trips in the SUV are not supportive of our ages and medical conditions we decided to look for a motorhome. I knew that we didn't want to tow anything so 5th wheels and TTs were out of the picture. I also had no desire to drive something as big as a semi so that class A's were also out of the picture. This left class B and class C motorhomes to review. Considering that there was just the two of us and we never take other people with us I wanted something less than 27 feet, no slides, but otherwise fully equipped. Since I cannot repair or do maintenance on anything, given my age, medical condition, and that I was a desk jockey in my career, I started researching quality used motorhomes. After weeks and maybe months of research there were 3 motorhome types that appeared to be manufactured so that they last. Born Free, Pleasureway, and Lazydays. I found a few listed for sale and we went to see them. Drove them, reviewed them with the owners, and looked at their maintenance records. Pleasureways were too small and confining for my wife. Lazydays had an older look and were not really appealing to either of us. Born Free ended up being perfect both in quality, safety, and had very appealing/comfortable interiors. Found one where the owner had taken imppecable care. We went over the unit from stem to stern, tested out everything, and reviewed the maintenance records which showed normal maintenace and a couple of minor repairs. It did drive very well even on the freeway at 65. It is a 2002 24RB, 25 foot, with about 85,000 miles. I paid $36,000 which I understand is about average for a 2002 Born Free in very good condition. There were 6 year old Micheline's on it that looked almost new but I decided to change theme out due to Florida's heat. Got 6 Hankook's that were correct for this motorhome. Also had the entire motorhome inspected by a reputable RV maintenance place, changed all of the fluids, replaced the rear brakes that were worn, ran the appliances, and they did a structural review. On the road it handles well at 65 which is the max speed I will drive. Decided to have a front steering stabilizer bar installed to reduce typical sway on a class C. We don't make long trips and nothing much out of Florida and Georgia. So far we enjoy our Born Free and are certainly glad we decided on a quality built unit as opposed to so much of the junk that is being put together these days giving residual problems for years.

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:16 AM   #36

Most likely by now you are enjoying your bargain motor home. I think a 17 year old motor home isn't too old to start the adventurers. Heck, I didn't even realize mine was old until I read these forum post. Mine is a 2002 Holiday Rambler Ambassador diesel pusher. I'm not complain about mine. The Hankook tires time is nearing expiration. Udden dat, I think she's pretty normal.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:39 AM   #37

Expensive Hobby

Compared to Offshore Boating, RV'ing in a DP is cheap!
Safe Travels
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:49 AM   #38

'The best part of our purchase was we saw it online at camping world...priced at 48k. '
Sounds like you got Campers Rolled. They priced it at what is was worth online to draw in eager bevers.
Best advice:
Do a through inspection of the coach, perhaps find an experienced RV tech to go through it. The cost to have an experienced expert do the inspection will be well wort it.
Then do the same for the chassis. This inspection will require lifting the coach off the ground or driving it over a pit.

Experience talking. :-}
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:08 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Now, about them Grade 8 bolts.......nah, never mind

About the cost of ownership, yes, didn't take long for me to figure this out even on a brand-new coach. As it appears everyone on this thread knows, if we look solely at the money, we would all run from this. I love how my coworkers and family often say, "wow, you must save a lot of money on vacations having that coach." I just chuckle. If they only knew. I work in the oil and gas industry as a economic/finance guy. Among many things, I build economic models forecasting cash flows, income, and balance sheet changes for current and potential future investments. I knew from the beginning, from a financial perspective only, this was a stupid move. But that perspective was mainly from the cost of the coach, storage, and fuel. I neglected to do more research on maintenance and repairs/replacement of premature failed components. The most expensive thus far being replacement of all 3 slide mechanisms. Honestly, the cash outlay isn't what bothers me the most. I've moved past that part. I understand this is an expensive experience. My biggest issue, due to my personality, is more the hassle and time it takes to get some things addressed. I'm having to learn to stop sitting here fretting and worrying and trying to predict what will fail next. I'm having to learn how to just enjoy the dang thing I am spending so much money on. I think I am finally transitioning from the coach being the star attraction of the destination to the actual destination being the star attraction. As I type this, my coach is sitting in the body shop here in Houston getting the "infamous Tiffin crack" fixed. I thought I had dodged this bullet, until I didn't. Leaving later this week for a 7 night stay in Key West. Coaching myself......"stop worrying, enjoy it.....you can do it...." Safe travels everyone.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:00 AM   #40

yes, agree with last post. get the shear pins in there. Had the same thing happen boondocking in Wisc. at a Walmart. Figured it out and replaced the broken pin.
Just make sure the slide is adjusted properly so front and back seat at the same time.
There is a youtube explaining how to measure and adjust. very easy.
Tom Blawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We all know that boat is an acronym for break out another thousand. Apparently that's the same for rvs
Maybe that's why they are called land yachts.

Stuff happens. I just deal with it best as I can. Getting ready to the leave the CG on an early trip in our 1st MH, the full wall slide came in a little & stopped. Thank you Winnebago for an excellent printed owners manual. I followed the manual retraction procedure & we were on our way in less than an hour.

Last trip I had failed to notice the campsite warning during the online reservation process that said "Unlevel Site". The front had to come up 12". The MH leveling system just laughed at me. But I laughed right back because I carry heavy duty plastic ramps, lots of blocks and a 20-ton bottle jack. It was a bit of work, but it was level & the wheels fully supported.

I carry lots of tools and was reading here months before I bought our first MH.

But on most of our trips everything goes properly and we always have a good time. Most of the work I do on our MHs is by choice. Upgrades and modifications that I choose to do. Sometimes I joke that real reason we have a MH is so that I have something to work on all the time.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Don't panic, talk to people on this forum, lots of times the fix isn't all that bad. If you have slide toppers there's a lever on the roller that can cause it bind-up. If you are clever and have mechanical skills you can fix almost everything on your coach, people on this forum have decades of experience. If you love the idea of owning and travelling stick with it. I own an eighteen-year-old Winnebago but I win all my battles at the cost of parts.