Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
Have used Fleetwood rigs for the last 40 years and found for the money to be very good product for under 150k . IF I hit the lottery then likely a Prevost or Tiffin.
From what I've seen, it seems like you get a lot of bang for the buck with most of the Fleetwoods.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #16

Just for the record from an ACTUAL Thor owner.. Our 2 year old Quantum Class C has been great, so take it however you want.
And after talking to ACTUAL Entegra owners, they should be in that top 5 list. I'll be talking to many more in the next week. I don't see very many going from an Entegra to another coach brand but buying another Entegra.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #17

We have had several Winnebago products and loved all of them. Built very solid. Great access to replacement parts and tech support. Would not buy a Gulfstream or Jayco product. Had a Fleetwood (Tioga). It was okay but we liked the Winnie products better. Only left the Winnie Itasca to buy the Beaver we have now. You are doing the right thing by researching before you purchase. Good Luck
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

OK...I'm really going to try to steer you in the right direction here as I see it...

I'm not going to get into the hierarchy of quality argument because I know where that will go. I'm going to cut to the chase of your question...which is "we're thinking of the entry end of things". All your listed options are gas coaches.

Ok good. That helps.

Look.....for a 100K or so, for a used MH, there are a lot of options. A lot.
Thanks to all of you amazing folks for the answers. This reply was very helpful indeed. I should have mentioned that the $100k budget is CAD, so that's maybe $75k. In the end though, I get what everyone is saying - tons of options out there. I have been deep in the education mode for a while, and still have a while to go. Currently going through options that we like that can be retrofitted to an older coach, if we go that route (solar, tankless water heaters, better nav/cabin audio head units with cameras, etc.). These replies help so much. You are a great group!

P.S. Kind of a side question, prefaced by the statement, "I mean no offence to anyone who may disagree with what I am about to say!": Why do most motorhomes in the preowned market, even up to many current models, seem to have interior color pallets and cabinet/wall-covering designs from the 1970's? Browns, beige, yellow-ish interiors just look so terrible to me! Anyway, rant over.
DaBruuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #19

I see these complaints about dated interiors on coaches, and I generally don't get it, with a few exceptions. For example if you want to see 1970's styling then just go and look at a classic 1970's GMC motorhome (they have a cult following and many are still on the road), or alternatively look at a 1990's Foretravel. As to the rest, yes if you go look at a 15 year old motorhome, the interior will likely look to be styled along with the mainstream styling of the time, not whatever was new and edgy at the time and has since became more popular.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Concerning interior colors, cabinets, and flooring. Remember all of these are easily changed with a little imagination, effort, and money. There are many YouTube videos showing how RVers remodeled old tired interiors and made them look better than many new RVs. Remodeling, including changing the floorplan, can be done inside almost any RV. It's really just like remodeling a stick built house, just on a much smaller scale.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #21

OP - Since you are focusing on Gas units, I'll suggest a few specific coaches and models to consider.

-Eh! Canada!!! Triple E - Made a very good class A, good insulation and wood working too.

-Newmar Mountain Aire - Depending on year, they were available in both F53 with V10 - and - Workhorse with GM 8.1

-Rexhall - Have a steel cage around all of their RV's, and one piece fiberglass roofs too

-National's Dolphin - The later, painted years, of the Dolphin, were fine built coaches too. Also available in F53 and or Workhorse chassis.

The above, were some outliers not specifically mentioned by other posters.

And, I'd also look at the Holiday Rambler (Monaco built) version of the UFO chassis Gasser. It's a rear engine 8.1 with 5sp Allison. (Rexhall has a unique UFO rear engine 8.1 too, but they're usually priced high.)

Of these units, the Triple E and Mountain Aire were I believe were built to a higher level of quality then the others. Rexhall (Front and UFO) and Monaco's Holiday Rambler UFO - were also above entry level build, components and materials - then some of the entry level coaches mentioned in above posts.

I had a Bounder, and we liked it. I feel it was a great bang for the buck. In the Fleetwood family, the Southwind, Pierce Arrow - had better material choices.

I've looked at many gas Winnie's, and I feel they were on par with Fleetwood. Except, I believe they (As most manufactures did.) had some years of less quality control then others. When we were considering UFO Rear Engined 8.1 new coaches, to bridge us into retirement, I walked thru three or for different Winnie and Itasca RV's. Every one of them on display, had I felt unacceptable construction defects. Including two of them, brand new, had scrapes on the floor from where the slides came in. But again, I've been in other Winnies that were very much on par with Fleetwood. I have no first hand experience with Tiffen, so will not comment on them here.

I think from what you have said here, I'd probably target an older Mountain Aire or National Dolphins, in the model and chassis you like. Reserve some funds for updates to electrical, and any other cosmetic changes you feel you want. And then go use the RV for a few years and have some fun!!!

And, opinions will vary. I've noted this before, when doing conversations. When one owner would say 'I've always had Fleetwood (Or Winnie, or Tiffen....)' products. When I asked them 'What was your first RV?', he majority of time the first RV they had, is the brand they kept with! (And nothing wrong with that. As you get used to the way a certain manufacturer does things, and it makes staying in the same family an easier adjustment when changing RV's!).

Best to you,
Smitty

Below, example of the Moutain Aaire (Other models exist, and I think up to 2006(?):
https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Mountain-...535357-UX79288

Below, example of Dolphin (I believe they also had 36' lengths too...)
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...35C-5005151172

Below, a Holiday Rambler (Note, it is the Diesel version. But as I recall this is the model that also had the 8.1 available(?). If interested, do a search on UFO and you will find the Specific Holiday Rambler Model, as I sure could be wrong.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...PDQ-5000034141
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - Since you are focusing on Gas units, I'll suggest a few specific coaches and models to consider.

-Eh! Canada!!! Triple E - Made a very good class A, good insulation and wood working too.

-Newmar Mountain Aire - Depending on year, they were available in both F53 with V10 - and - Workhorse with GM 8.1

-Rexhall - Have a steel cage around all of their RV's, and one piece fiberglass roofs too

Wow - thank you for such an informative post. Looks like I have some serious weekend research to do! Never see most of those names in our Canadian Auto Trader sites, but they may be locked out by the search parameters I am choosing. In any case, thanks!
DaBruuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I see these complaints about dated interiors on coaches, and I generally don't get it, with a few exceptions. For example if you want to see 1970's styling then just go and look at a classic 1970's GMC motorhome (they have a cult following and many are still on the road), or alternatively look at a 1990's Foretravel. As to the rest, yes if you go look at a 15 year old motorhome, the interior will likely look to be styled along with the mainstream styling of the time, not whatever was new and edgy at the time and has since became more popular.
But the OP also said their critique was "even up to many current models".
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #24

Use kijiji and search for motorhomes, you will find lots all across Canada.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
Use kijiji and search for motorhomes, you will find lots all across Canada.
X2 on this. We have a Triple E Commander and really like it. Almost bought a Southwind 32VS which is the same layout. Two neighbours have Newmar Baystars and like them. We also liked the National Dolphins especially the larger ones on the W24 chassis. You will probably want at least a W22 (or equivalent F53) chassis for carrying capacity and 22” wheels. Good luck with yout search.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #26

I started out with a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U and put 30 k miles on it in 2 years. Loved it but cheaply made but nice enough for 1st timers. We just ordered out Tiffin Allegro Bus 45 ft and picking up in 15 days! Lots of good things said about Tiffin and top of the line Motorhomes besides going that million dollar step in wallet to a Prevost.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
But the OP also said their critique was "even up to many current models".
RV decor is always an interesting topic and everybody has their own sense of great, fair and horrendous designs implemented by manufacturers. Purchasing a RV can also be complicated for couples because one of them may be very particular and the other less concerned. I consider myself lucky that the DW tends to be very practical. Neither of us is extremely fond of the dark brown couches in our Bay Star and we would have preferred the other decor scheme offered in 2012. However, our MH was in great shape, priced right and came with an extended warranty. And, in the near future, we plan to remove the jack knife sofa and replace it with a recliner and a cabinet. So, when we get a recliner, we'll go with a lighter shade of tan and that will help break up the brown look.

On the other hand, when we look at some of the newer interiors that have a lot of gray, they don't tend to be our "cup of tea". But we do like lighter interiors.

And, just wait, and there will be a whole new trend in RV interiors and what is great today will quickly become dated!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefin View Post
I started out with a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U and put 30 k miles on it in 2 years. Loved it but cheaply made but nice enough for 1st timers. We just ordered out Tiffin Allegro Bus 45 ft and picking up in 15 days! Lots of good things said about Tiffin and top of the line Motorhomes besides going that million dollar step in wallet to a Prevost.
Interesting comment. I had thought the Pace Arrow was a good rig, generally equivalent to a Tiffin.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality