Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question MH ceiling fan install 12 VDC question????

I have a power source question. Next week we plan to install a 12 VDC ceiling fan in our Gulf Stream Sun Voyager MH bedroom. The only question I have is finding a source of 12 VDC.

There are light switches close by, so a question. I can't figure out how to take the switch cover off, afraid to force it and break it. Is there a trick? And I assume there is a steady 12 vdc source at that switch I can use. But is there also the ground wire in the switch the way there is a neutral in house circuits??

Or, there is also the converter in the BR, but I assume there is only voltage on the 12 volt side "IF" there is 110 volts also feeding it. If this were acceptable, is there any "no, no" to tapping off the 12 volt side of the converter so long as I install an in line fuse as well??

I know the distribution panel would be best, but its about 20 ft away in the front of the coach and getting a wire from there to the BR ceiling would be too difficult unless there is a real trick I do not know of.

The Gulf Stream manual is of course useless, and there is no wiring diagram schematic I know of, so knowing other options to tap into is a mystery.

Any ideas guys???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not knowing what type of switch you're referring to I can't say for sure how to get the cover off. Many 12-volt switches in RV's don't have covers, but just unscrew from the wall and the wires are pushed on to terminals on the back of the switch.

As far as a ground is concerned the light itself will have a ground. This ground may, or may not, come back to the light switch that turns on that particular light. Usually the ground is a common ground the manufacturer ran to multiple lights, etc. The switch then only needs to open and close the hot (+12 Volt) side.

I've been thinking about a ceiling fan in our bedroom also. But I'm not quite sure if I have the physical room for a fan (blade clearance). In my case though, since I have a light in the center of the room, which I don't necessarily need, I'd remove the light and use that circuit to power the fan. Then the switch on the wall that turned the light on and off, could be used to control the fan.

Just a couple of ideas.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The switches with covers and no screws visible snap off. I would try a small screwdriver blade.
I think that sometimes rather than switching the 12 to the light on and off, the ground wire is switched. you might want to check for that.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post

SNIP

I've been thinking about a ceiling fan in our bedroom also. But I'm not quite sure if I have the physical room for a fan (blade clearance). In my case though, since I have a light in the center of the room, which I don't necessarily need, I'd remove the light and use that circuit to power the fan. Then the switch on the wall that turned the light on and off, could be used to control the fan.

Just a couple of ideas.
Bob you have probably already considered this but one of my friends didn't. When he installed his fan he forgot that when the slide is in the fan blade clearance changes - a lot. He has to remove one on the fan blades when he brings the slide in.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i installed a 12v ceiling fan from backwoods solar in the bedroom where the ceiling light fixture was. it has an infrared remote and i wired it so the light switch is a positive shutoff.
the fan works well with the slide in or out.

''Remote Controlled DC CEILING FAN 12 or 24 volts One Year Warranty

These ceiling fans have four blades, and come with either 40" diameter wood laminate blades and a bright brass housing, or white blades with white housing. The three speed reversible motor is operated by an infrared remote control and draws 1.2 amps on high speed; 0.75 amps on medium speed and 0.5 amps on low speed. These power draws are at 12 or 24v DC.

It is designed for surface mounting on a flat ceiling however a swivel pendant mount for pitched ceilings is available as an option. This mount includes a bright brass, 6" downrod extension. This 1/2" downrod can easily be replaced with conduit of your choice and length purchased locally.

Unlike last years Varifan, this model is 12 or 24 volts so you must specify your voltage. And at 12v, this new model has plenty of rpms without needing to add the voltage doubling, variable speed controller that was needed with the Varifan!''

A-CEILFAN 12v Oak: $135 plus $12 shipping

A-CEILFAN 12v White: $135 plus $12 shipping

A-CEILFAN 24v Oak: $135 plus $12 shipping

A-CEILFAN 24v White: $135 plus $12 shipping

A-Swivel Kit: $20

Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there a 12V ceiling light in that room? If so, remove it and install the fan. Or else, run the 12V down to where you want to put the fan and wire it in. Be careful to not let the blades hit anything.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #7

Converter should be OK.

Connecting at the converter SHOULD be OK.

You will need to confirm that there is always 12 VDC present under all of the conditions that you wish to operate your fan.

Set the MH in those conditions then measure the voltage, if OK then proceed.

FUSE IT!
Make sure the type of wire used is suitable for your installation, and be sure to fuse the wire as close to the connection to power as reasonably possible, but certianly BEFORE it goes through any holes, the fuse protects the WIRE not the device.

Check the area for structural limitations, a detailed email with photo, measurements, fan model and weight along with your MH serial number to the manufacturer could not hurt.

They can advise if the structure is capable of supporting the weight as well as the possibility of hidden items that could cause problems with the routing of wires or ???

They may have a replacement switch cover available with an additional switch, you then could make it look factory, or at least let you know how to remove the switches and if there is a suitable ground wire there.

Consider it your "call before you dig" call.

It may go nowhere but it may result in some better idea or avoid drilling through a wire.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan, sounds like a ceiling fan that might work well. Can you give us some measurements from the ceiling to the losest part of the fan. Trying to find out how much room will be needed.
Thanks.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Dan, sounds like a ceiling fan that might work well. Can you give us some measurements from the ceiling to the losest part of the fan. Trying to find out how much room will be needed.
Thanks.
that would be 6 3/4'' from the lower edge of the fan blade tip to the ceiling. this works well in my moho with the slide in or out. there is plenty of room for us to walk under it with the fan running.
the b-w solar fan mounts with 3 each 1/4'' bolts.
i cut out a circular piece of sheet metal from an old license plate, drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the center for the wires, drilled 3 each 1/4'' mounting holes for the fan, and mounted the plate to the ceiling with 8 #10 screws long enough to go through all the roof insulation and into the luan but not long enough to penetrate the fiberglass roof.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote