Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #15

Had a "board buddy" on another board install those stick-on gadgets on his RV - making great claims as to their advertised and anticipated benefits. No followup info from him on them and their "benefits" - and, strangely, when he later got another RV, those stick-ons were conspicuous by their absence...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Looking at the ad for Turbo shield makes me think of crossing speed bumps. The shield goes first then the tires."

Good point - not to mention asphalt alligators/concrete crocodiles, dead possums and other road debris. Believe I'll pass on all this stuff.
Wonder how long it would take to pay for these air tabs or air dams with the amount of mileage increase you will get? If I put that same amount of money in a good money market account I would probably make considerably more and would not booger up the look of the coach.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
... If you believe him then you must also believe all those commercial endorsements about being able to make a man "larger"!
Those ads arent true?
Oops...looks like the Extenze stock car team just got a free tank of race gas from me (or maybe a race tire?)
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
I read about a spoiler or airstream vortex like device that was attached to each side of the MH near the rear sidewall. they were a series of curved fins that broke the smooth air along the side of the MH and is suppose to reduce the air drag. The article actually say they saw increased MPG. I think the article was in MH or Good Sam magazine more than 1 yr ago. Of course, I can't find the article and do not remember the name of this device, but saw it on a trailer the other day and was curious again. Anyone else remember this plastic looking thingee?
I believe the product you are searching for are called Airtab fuel savers and stability devices.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...A0JKXpGVYkl_Tp
Canfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:10 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A test I would find creditable is take two identical RVs off the assembly line, same loads, same route say a half mile apart and rive them for a few thousand miles. Track the miles driven and very carefully measure the fuel consumed. I'd expect the mpg improvement could be lost in fuel measurements.

You need a variable the tabs on one unit and a control, no tabs, all else exactly equal as possible. Otherwise what is see are mostly opinions with no control in the experiment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #21

Sherman, you stepped into the wayback machine!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #22

I think in the ten years since this very old thread was actually fresh no one STILL no one
has really come up with any real independent data on how much effect Airtabs have or do not have. You'd think with the passing of at least ten years someone would have come up with something. Seems odd, or is it just me?

It's always boggled my mind how much Airtabs cost. I find it hard to believe they can cost more than a couple of cents each to make. If that much. Seriously.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #23

The Air Tabs have been around for quite a while, at least 10 years or more or even longer. If they were so great, you'd think there would be more hoopla and hollar about them.

I've not seen the Turbo Shield before until just now. But when I saw the web site and looked at the photos, sorry..... I just couldn't disassociate my thoughts thinking this is just a modern "Cattle Catcher" that use to be installed on old steam locomotive trains.

Cattle catchers were designed to hit and toss off any wild bulls or cows or even buffalo that would be standing on the rail road tracks. They also make something similar for trains for snow removal on the tracks.

Wouldn't a Cattle Catcher on the front of our trucks and motor homes be an interesting idea!

Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #24

Stop and think. Does anyone seriously think that if such a concept really did anything except lighten your wallet, the rv manufacturers would already be using it?
Same for all the other gadgets over the years that promised to lighten your wallet.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Stop and think. Does anyone seriously think that if such a concept really did anything except lighten your wallet, the rv manufacturers would already be using it?
Same for all the other gadgets over the years that promised to lighten your wallet.
Ok, I was going to stay out of this post since it is so old, but this one hit home. Do you really think that the RV industry is trying to maximize anything but their profits? I agree it is a gadget, but have you actually tried it?

For the price I put it on my MH. It did help with side winds and being blown around by Tractor Trailers, or for me the worse - commercial buses. The improved driving was noticeable. As for improved mileage, who knows, but I doubt it is noticeable unless you have a fleet of vehicles to compare it to.

Really I could spill $200.00 on my MH. Shocks cost more, airbags cost more, tires cost more, and each one of these also contributed to a better handling coach.

If you don't want them don't buy them. If you don't think you would see an improvement in handling then really don't buy them. I will stand by the opinion that they improved my coach to a degree. I like all of my vehicles to perform at their very best. My MH now drives much better than when I got it, and I will still look at and consider other products that are brought to market.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I had a friend that put them on his 5th wheel and said they kept the back of it from getting so dirty. That was 20 years ago.
It they would help keep the back of the coach clean they may be worth a look.
I had completely forgotten about these things.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #27

I have run over debris or other items in the road several times, doing very minor underside damage, but enough to say goodbye to a turbo shield if I had one installed.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dont knock something until you try it! Air Tabs work, front air dams, cold air intakes, anything that improves aerodynamics, and engine enhancements (if you dont use your right foot more).
I've done them all. All helped, positively.
But some are expensive, are too much work to install or maintain. Detract from the aesthetics. OR
The payback takes too long.
Since I retired my attitudes have changed and my pocket books widened (less need to save $) so doing them as often as I change RVs aren't necessary. AND My better half says I shouldn't do them, she's right. But they work, with "minor paybacks".