Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
jmo

Not an electrical problem since steps retract but not all the way. Not a fuse, oiled it, manually pushed it. Any advice?

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Gas MH

jmo/Ed

jmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
jmo

Not an electrical problem since steps retract but not all the way. Not a fuse, oiled it, manually pushed it. Any advice?

jmo/Ed

Old 03-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Steps are notorious for a poor electrical ground. Run a temporary ground or check with a meter.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you've been in a sandy area give them a good cleaning, we had a lot of sand on ours once and they would not retract or extend all the way untill I cleaned them!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

Poor ground can do some seemingly silly things. I suggest you follow Tom N's advice and double check the ground. Also might check to make sure you have a fully charged battery. Low battery will make the steps act funny too. You might also want to crawl underneath and make sure everything is secure. A loose bold might be allowing some play in the system.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't lay under steps but check the nuckles that operate the steps you maybe losing a bolt or pin to hold everything together.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jmo:

jmo/Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The steps stop when the current draw reaches a certain level which by design is when the stop cam blocks it from movement. It also protects the step from damage if it extends into a curbstone, other obstruction or your ankles. If there is any binding or obstruction they will stop opening or closing. A bad electrical connection or low battery may cause the sensor to see a current draw that will trigger it to stop the step from closing. First check the battery for low voltage. From off to the side and out of harms way if the step should activate check out the ground, splices and connectors going to the step. A good cleaning of these connections and some electrical grease may be in order.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #8

One other thing is to check the magnetic sensor. The steps won't retract if it senses that the door is open. You can try putting a magnet on the part on the door frame and see if that does it. I had this happen to me and it was related to water getting into the switch. When it froze I could not retract the steps. I will bet this is it.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Just throwing this out there, but once while on the road I hit a chunk of rubber thrown from a truck tire, it came up and put a "tweak" in the arms on my electric step. When I got out, the step only went down half way then locked. Not having any tools I took a log from the roadside and persueded the arms back in alignment.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
jmo

We are trying all your thoughts. Really appreciate it and glad we are not on the road. So far no go but magnet and bent frame on step still on check list. I am 6'4" and not a fragile thing so climbing under this baby not covered in our extended warranty

Ed

Old 03-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When mine was partially retracting they determined that the motor was bad. Replaced it and it worked fine, until the gears got missaligned because they didn't tighten the motor down when installing it!!

Glenn
Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
jmo

I don't know how we wouldn't feel the jolt but steps frame/arm is bent. I was able to straighten a bit and it went in some...might be able to get it in far enough to make it to dealer. Felt it before I could see it. Raining big time here now.

Thanks for the advice, will advise the outcome.

Ed

Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #13

It doesnt take much to bend them, and you may have thought it was your tail end dragging. I have bent a mine a few times now, once bad enough to warrant taking it off to get straighten out.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jmo:
I don't know how we wouldn't feel the jolt but steps frame/arm is bent. I was able to straighten a bit and it went in some...might be able to get it in far enough to make it to dealer. Felt it before I could see it. Raining big time here now.

Thanks for the advice, will advise the outcome.

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

On my previous coach I did not feel the event that bent mine because the coach was sitting in my own driveway and somone pulled in while we were out and drove into the extended steps. They bent the frame and broke the actuator arm. They did not bother leaving a note and none of the neighbors saw who did it.

I could have ordered a new frame and actuator arm but the steps were 10 years old and the cost of the parts was more than half that of purchasing a new step from Camping World so I replaced the steps and saved the undamaged parts in my spare parts bin.

Now if we do not have one of our own vehicles or some other obstruction blocking the steps from getting hit we keep them on automatic so they will be closed unless someone is entering or exiting the coach.