Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mice

We are sitting still in Wa. I now have a mouse problem. I have stuffed the entrance for the black water hose exit. Checked under the slides. We keep the doors to the bays closed except when we absolutely need to get into them. Where else can the sneaky dirty little devils get in? I am going looking for something that isn't poison as I have a dog and next door are three more in the am. If I didn't have to worry about the dogs, I would put out Tomcat and let them eat to their hearts content.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Besides mouse traps and such I was given a few years ago and knock on wood have not encountered any mice to date. We especially worry over the winter when our coach is stored on a lot surrounded by fields.

We purchased Irish Spring soap bars and we place them in all of our basement bins as well as around the interior of the coach...under the sinks, etc. We were told Irish Spring to Mice is like Garlic to a Vampire. So far it has worked for us...and it should not be a problem for the dogs.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #3

Someone on the site told me to use Oil of peppermint. Which I picked up at a health store a small bottle about eight bucks. I soaked a bunch of cotton balls and put them in the bays and under the sink and it seem to work fine I had no rodent problem.👍
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:58 AM   #4

Moath Balls if you don't mind the smell we used them last winter and not a single mouse
We tried all the rest . Cab fresh , no good peppermint oil no good electronic box,s no google
Moath Balls not one mouse dropping or one mouse in the traps

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:24 AM   #5

thanks for all the suggestions which will help me keep these rascally rabbits out of my MH. I'm going to go with the mothballs. And now I know why my grandmother used them in her home. Loved that smell for some reason. lol.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #6

Stop them outside before they get curious about the inside. I use a couple of 2 ft. lengths of 1" or 1 1/2" PVC and put the Tom Cat chunks inside the PVC in the middle. This keeps other critters, like dogs, from getting to the bait but provides a tunnel for the mice. I use these around my RV garage to try to head them off before they come inside to visit.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 AM   #7

TomCat is an acute Anticoagulant, that mean it is a single feed killer, it is also quit toxic to non target animals. One block is capable of killing a 12 pound manual. Having said that the product is relatively save if used according to the labeled directions. The biggest problem with poisons is that the mice will dye where they live and if that's in the motorhome then your going to have a smell and possibly related insect problems. I would suggest you use good old fashion mouse traps inside and use a lot of them. I keep 6 in my basement at all times and would use more if I had a problem. I catch 2-3 mice a year, always in the rear compartment where we keep the gill, I think that's a big attractant. Here is a link to the trap I use Amazon.com: Snap-E Mouse Trap-6 Pack: Home & Kitchen

I don't mean to sound like a know it all but I've been in the pest control business for 44 years and will work on several mouse issues today.

Repellants may well work but I've never heard of or read any science behind any. Working to reduce harborage areas around the outside of your motorhome is helpful and baits can be used outside if used according to the label. Traps are always my first suggestions for so many reasons.

Good luck,
Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #8

This is a little off topic. But when we had our old Winnie I had it parked behind the house in a place I had cleared in the woods. Had a mouse problem which I had expected and placed traps on the inside & outside. One day I went out to start the coach and check things out since we were going on a little trip in a couple of days. I jumped into the drivers seat, turned on the ignition, started the engine......that's when I looked up on the dashboard.....and saw about a 6' snakeskin. Now being the calm and collected person I am, I squealed like a little girl, jumped out of the seat, and proceeded to fall down the steps getting outside. Now I'm in a dilemma, the doors is open, the coach is running, and somewhere in there is a pretty good sized snake. Not being a snake expert I had no idea what kind it was, and I wasn't going to get my shotgun and look for it, because of the danger I'd just end up blowing holes into the side of the Winnie. To make a long story short, I eventually creeped back into the coach, turned it off and retrieved the skin. I took it to a a farmer friend of mine, and he said not to worry, it's just a black snake. If you have one in the RV, you won't be getting mice. We kept that Winnie for another two years, never found the snake, or had a mouse problem.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Use peppermint oil. My son has a health studio and sells it wholesale. We use it and have NEVER had a problem.
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

I use all of it - Tomcat, traps, scents, the cat,moth balls and on. I pulled three out of the trap this winter. Use everything and you bases will be covered.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #11

MIce just cost me 500 on my lawn tractor. They ate through the coil wire. I tried to start it the engine backfired, broke the damn flywheel+++=====$500.

I always put those mice sticky pads between the rear doubles. They have gotten about 4 in a couple of years. Now i put the damn things in the shed with the tractor. So far 2. If i am lucky i will wipe out the population for a 12 BLOCK RADIUS. LOL
Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

I wouldn't do moth balls. They will stink up the MH and YOU won't want to go in. I use the Peppermint oil. Every few weeks, I re-soak the cotton balls. Leaves a nice smell in the MH after a couple days. First day or two is a bit strong.. but settles in nicely.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Google(yes it's a verb) 5 gallon bucket mouse trap. Very easy to make(requires a bucket, a coat hanger/wire, a beer or soda can and peanut butter) and very effective. I used one in my pump house where the little buggers were safe from my cats,,,,took care of the problem. You can use water or for no smell, anti-freeze in the bucket.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #14

There are lots of opinions about mice control, but plain old mouse traps are best. They always work and they even kill quickly if that is a concern. If you can't check the traps often, set lots of them and make sure they are on cardboard, etc. so that a decaying mouse won't stain a surface. I set them outside near tires in spring and fall. My favorite is the Tomcat Spin Trap Amazon.com : Tomcat Spin Trap for Mice, 2-Pack (Mouse Trap) : Rodent Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden It keeps larger critters from getting snapped, or either stealing the bait. Peanut butter is easy and a very good, long-lasting bait.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote