RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #29

Pete,

Funny story! I had something similar happen in my garage shop years ago. One winter I started my air compressor to fill up some tires and it made a heck of a racket like a bearing in the motor had failed. I looked down and shredded black oil sunflower seeds were blowing out the end of the motor. It looked like a wood chipper running. We had a bird feeder in the front yard and guess what we filled it with?

One other tip is is described by Ben Franklin's famous saying - "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Mice mark their runs with urine, so if you can keep them out to start with, there won't be a trail of - ahem, "crumbs", for others to follow.

For those still following the thread, using the block style bait in a bait station is prefered over the bags full of pellets for just the reason you state. They have to chew on the blocks which makes it less likely they'll just carry it off and hoard it like they can with the pellets.

To add another funny story, a couple weeks ago I was working in my shop when something caught my eye. Leaning against one of my cabinets was the 5 foot tall remains of an old fencepost that rotted off at the ground and sleeping on top, a little deer mouse. I'd been walking back and forth past him for quite some time and my movement and noise didn't seem to bother him.

On a more serious note, as cute as the little guy is in the picture, this species of mouse is known for carrying the Hantavirus. Although rare, the nasty form of the virus can sicken and kill humans. If you are cleaning up mouse poop, don't just sweep it up or vacuum. Spray it first with a bleach solution and let it sit for a few minutes. Wear gloves and wipe or pick it up with paper towels. The virus is excreted in the urine, feces and saliva of infected mice. If you find droppings on your counters or in your cabinets remember, you see the poop, but you don't see the urine trails so disinfect the whole area even if there were a few droppings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCompanion.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	182798  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Oh my, that surveillance photo of the mouse jumping into the RV gives me the willies. But it does explain a lot.

According to this website, it's the balsam fir oil that mice don't like. You could try to fashion a substitute for Fresh Cab.

https://www.homesteadmania.com/diy-n...use-repellent/

I make my own with balsam Fir oil. Cannot be the siberian "cheaper" oil. Has to be the species that grows in the US.

I originally bought a couple boxes of the Fresh Cab and just spray a light layer of my oil mixture over them every couple of months, or around mouse season. I get a lot more oil for the price by making my own, and it works great as a Christmas-smelling air freshener.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #31

Rural King farm stores sell FreshCab, and are now selling another brand of satchel mouse repellent also. As of last week our store had about 20 boxes of FreshCab and perhaps 10 of the other brand.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #32

Hear's another twist to the Mouse problem: My wife is a bird watcher and won't allow me to put mouse poison out bc they die and our local owls then want to eat these mice. Anyone know of a reason why this is not a factor or another solution? Currently, I just use a baited mouse trap and then clean it out often! Especially in the Fall.
ClassyClassA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #33

No use trying to kill everything, there's always another one around the corner.
I provide alternate food and shelter.

I feed the birds twice a day around the yard and provide a wooded area near the fence line for their cover.

I set a bag of mothballs under the RV and set a few traps inside the RV and hope for the best.

You can fight mother nature, but you usually lose in the end.

Ted
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote