Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Has anyone had any problems with the Michelin Tires 235/80R22.5? I had one to blow out while Our Motor Home was in our Storage Building, we went on a trip to Delware 2 weeks ago, got home and Cleaned it up Tires & all. Got ready to leave on another trip it had a tire flat on the rear, after checking it out it had a hole in the side of it of a base ball. 4 years old 24000 miles on it no cracks, garage kept when not in use. Jim Jessup
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Has anyone had any problems with the Michelin Tires 235/80R22.5? I had one to blow out while Our Motor Home was in our Storage Building, we went on a trip to Delware 2 weeks ago, got home and Cleaned it up Tires & all. Got ready to leave on another trip it had a tire flat on the rear, after checking it out it had a hole in the side of it of a base ball. 4 years old 24000 miles on it no cracks, garage kept when not in use. Jim Jessup
Old 09-29-2004, 03:03 AM   #3

jim,
From your signature, your new to this forum, it's hard to tell if your new to MotorHoming, but keeping a close eye on your tires and doing the regular maintenance is a must. If you'll do a search of previous posted topics on Tires or any topic related, you will see this has been hammered numerous times.

When folks buy any coach or trailer, it's very important for them to understand there are maintenance issues that are much different then cars and light trucks they may have owned. Their in a different class of vehicle, weight and size wise, and require more and sometimes special maintenance and servicing.

Your post didn't say where the tire was located, but it would stand to reason, that it was and inside-rear tire that probably was over looked when the tires were Pressure checked.

You can go to Michelins web site and get the facts on tire maintenance. Because of the weight differences of each coach, to the amount of supplies and number of misc. articles each coach owners takes with them, the specifications regarding the maintenance and schedule there of, will be different.

It's very important to get your coach weighed with it loaded as it would be if you were ready to take a trip. This will give you a base line to work with to determin the proper tire pressure and it will alert you to and over load situation, that will need to be corrected.

Inchn2go has a topic a with 5 check rating, that everyone should read. It comes directly from the tire manufacture, the best source for factual information.

Tomcat F15
"It's better to be safe, then sorry."
Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Tomcat,
Yes, I am new to this forum but not knew to Motorhoming. I did not go into detail about my maintance program, but I retired from a Maintance shop we took care of about 54 Hy. Tractors & over 100 Trailers, & Etc. When I purchased this Motorhome I weighted each wheel, & used the chart for the correct air pressure at the front & rear. This morning I carried the Tire & wheel to a Michelin shop they could not fine one anywhere, They are National Backorder, They found one that was a year old, & Branded on the side wall Duel Use only, took my old tire & going to call a Michelin Rep. to look at it. Jim
Old 09-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #5

Jim,

You do have the experience, thats for sure. Did they explain what caused the problem? It sounds like their going to warrant your tire, is that so?

Tomcat F15
"Even a newbe to this forum can have lots of experience."
Old 09-29-2004, 01:26 PM   #6

Jim,

Over the last year I have read a lot about Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5 side wall blow outs. Some like yours, just sitting there and some blowing out while moving. One MH manufacture (can't remember which one right now)has made arrangements to replace the XRVs on the front axle of the MHs they've sold. If you do a search on RV.NET you will find a bunch of conversation about Michelin side wall blow out.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Tomcat & Richard
I am waiting to see what Michelin is going to do about the warrant.
Richard I will look at RV net. to see what I can find. These tires should not give any problem like this. If I was gross wt of about 80,000 lbs on hot days I could see a failure. I am leaving tomorrow for the coast of NC for a few days, thanks for the input
Jim
Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #8

does xrv michelin have steel belted sidewalls. xps does and that is my choice . they do make a difference. good luk
352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #9

take it from me you had better switch to goodyears while you are still in one piece. goodyear makes the only rv tire on the market.i have a friend that just bought a new holiday rambler. had 2 side wall blow outs in 500 miles.2nd one tore half the back end off.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:23 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I understand that Winnebago used to ship the coach that I have with 235/80R22.5 tires. They now use 255/80R22.5. There is a reason for this. The 235/80R22.5 tires were too close to max weight limit.

Walt
Old 10-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If they're 4 years old and they're XRVs I'd get rid of them all at this point. I would go with the Goodyear G670RV tires. I presently have Michelin XZEs on my coach but when they get to 5 years, or start giving me trouble, I'll make the move to Goodyear in a heartbeat. There's lots of favorable posts out there regarding the Goodyear 670s and I have had tons of success with Goodyear tires in my equipment fleet.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the good Info. 352 I have been told they do have steel belted in them.
NUJAC435 & CRUZER Thanks for the advice on Going to Goodyear I am going value that Info. a lot.
Walt also thanks a bunch, I have just got back from a 500 Mile round trip, stoped by a friend to spend a couple of nights looked at the Left front wheel The tire had a bulge 4" long & about 3/4" wide sticking out the side wall. Had a hard time finding anything that I could have mounted and put on. Colony Tire of New Bern NC found a used one. When I arrived there, they told me drive right in and they started changing it. They sold me the tire & and installed & ballanced it real reasonable ($105.26) the tire look new. So now I have 2 tires to go to Michelin with, Thanks Jim Jessup
Old 10-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #13

By all means, keep us posted, as to what Michelin offers. It better be good or we'll hammer them at the rallies and shows.

Tomcat F15
"Keep your hammers ready, it may be "hammer time"."
Old 10-08-2004, 03:37 AM   #14

Is the Michelin problem only with the 22.5 inch tires? I just put 8 new 16 inch XPS's on my Suncruiser after a catastrophic blowout on an old tire. I'd hate to think I'm endangering my family. It's hard to imagine with a name like Michelin, they would continue to produce a product with such a danger.