Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Michelin RV tire dealers near St. Louis?

I discovered today while getting ready for an upcoming rally that I had a flat inside dual on my '04 HR Vacationer. Couldn't get it to take air on the axle so I removed it and proceeded to air it up on the ground. Got it up to 70#s and went to add more air to get it up to the recommended setting. Almost immediately it blew out on the bottom side and heaved it in my face which threw me backward, broke my glasses and laid open a small cut on my nose. It had not loosened itself from the rim. I don't know but suspect that it must have gone down returning from my last journey 2 weeks ago. It had one of those stainless remote hoses which may have played a part in the deflation. I am leery now that the outer tire may have been stressed so I would like to replace both on that axle. I can't seem to find any Michelin XRV 235 80 r 22.5 size in this area. I have an unmounted used tire of the same brand and correct size. Is this size that unusual or too popular to stay in stock? I have reservations for Saturday through Thursday in Branson. Would the other tire on that axle be trustworthy enough for a 500 mile trip? Anybody know where I might locate them on such short notice?
vacationer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Talk to Larry or Carl @ Kennedy tire in Festus .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If these are the original tires they all need to be replaced. Michelin has there own tire sizes for MH tires But if you change all of them or at leased all of them on the same axle you can go to a standard trock tire sise.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

I would try Purcell Tire in Fenton MO, which is in St Louis County. They are one of the largest heavy equipment tire dealers (including Motorhome)in the region. I go to their Washington MO location and have always been treated right. The Washington store has told me the Fenton location does the majority of their Motorhome tire work and they routinely have that size Michelin tire in stock (I have the same size). Good luck.
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have been able to make contact with a few tire sellers who have informed me why that size is so hard to find. More than one has said that that size was specified by Monaco / Holiday Rambler just for their RVs. That is supposed to be why they cost a bunch more per tire. It can still be obtained for a lot more than equivalent truck sizes that will meet the load ratings and diameters to keep the speedometer accurate but ride a bit firmer. For those interested 235 80 R 22.5 can be converted to 245 75 R 22.5 or 275 70 R 22.5 according to the dealers I have had contact with. That makes more brands available to consider. I won't consider any Goodyears but Bridgestone and is the leading candidate. The Michelin 235s are about $550 each versus about $450 for the Bridgestone 245s. I do see a lot of semis running them so I think I will have to consider them after I get back from my short journey this weekend. Will it be 2 or 6 is the main consideration for me. I put Yokohamas on my last coach and they were 10 years old when I traded it and never a problem and they still looked like new but I can't find them in 22.5s around here.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The important things in sizing truck tires or any other tire is #1 load range #2 revolutions per mile. #3 section width and of course what its used for.tracktion, steer, or all position.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer04 View Post
I have been able to make contact with a few tire sellers who have informed me why that size is so hard to find. More than one has said that that size was specified by Monaco / Holiday Rambler just for their RVs. That is supposed to be why they cost a bunch more per tire. It can still be obtained for a lot more than equivalent truck sizes that will meet the load ratings and diameters to keep the speedometer accurate but ride a bit firmer. For those interested 235 80 R 22.5 can be converted to 245 75 R 22.5 or 275 70 R 22.5 according to the dealers I have had contact with. That makes more brands available to consider. I won't consider any Goodyears but Bridgestone and is the leading candidate. The Michelin 235s are about $550 each versus about $450 for the Bridgestone 245s. I do see a lot of semis running them so I think I will have to consider them after I get back from my short journey this weekend. Will it be 2 or 6 is the main consideration for me. I put Yokohamas on my last coach and they were 10 years old when I traded it and never a problem and they still looked like new but I can't find them in 22.5s around here.
My '04 HR Ambassador had Goodyears as OEM. Even after ten years they still had no blemishes plenty of tread. One front tire was egg shaped and cause vibration. That and age are why we replaced them all. I replaced them with the Michelins and have been very satisfied. I could have bought cheaper tires but considering the mileage we put on each year that didn't make sense. Besides the dealer I bought them from gave me a great deal, even better than the FMCA program.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn E View Post
I would try Purcell Tire in Fenton MO, which is in St Louis County. They are one of the largest heavy equipment tire dealers (including Motorhome)in the region. I go to their Washington MO location and have always been treated right. The Washington store has told me the Fenton location does the majority of their Motorhome tire work and they routinely have that size Michelin tire in stock (I have the same size). Good luck.
+2 on Purcell in Fenton. Bought mine there through the FMCA. They can also do alignments at that location.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just returned from a 550 mile trip and made it with no more tire issues. I will need to decide if I will replace them now before the "International Rally" at Elkhart next month. I have now located 5 dealers in this area now that can supply me tires so I will get prices and get the specifications to compare other sizes to my current ones, i.e. load range, diameter, rear spacing, etc. Also, what brands sell a comparable sizes. I will also have to keep in mind the wheel well opening and turning clearances. I had just hand painted the lettering on my Michelins white and really liked that appearance on my coach. I hope the brand of the next ones will be accepting of that treatment, too.
Thanks for all the help submitted to my inquiry!
I am very thankful that I escaped my incident with only a small cut on my sore nose.

Tags
dealer