Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

Michelin Side Wall Cracking XZA2 Energy

Here is a pic of my Front Michelin tire. I have Toyo on the rears. I purchased these tires news 6 years ago. Tread is still like new since I have less than 10k on the tires. Most of my trips have been in-state so not that many miles. Of course the Toyo's have no cracks at all. I was hoping to get 8 years but not so sure now. The MH stays under cover so no sun damage on the tires. I bought these from Les Schwab but they don't have a Texas location so can't take them there for an inspection. I'm in Houston if anyone knows a competent truck/tire facility that can inspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin side wall cracks.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	305574  
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Those dont look good. They are on your steer axle? If they were my tires I would schedule replacing them.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #3

Wow and people give Goodyear’s a bad time.LOL
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

Michelin fans will tell you that is no big deal and only cosmetic. When I bought my Tour Mine were 5 years old and looked like that. I replaced the steers and one of the tag tires before I drove it home. I picked it up 2 states away. Shortly after I replaced the rest of them. I did not buy Michelins.

Not worth a tire failure in my mind, Tires usually cause damage when they fail and you still have to buy a tire. Not to mention possible loss of control if on the front.

When I bought my RV I had a service truck come swap the tires onsite. Maybe you could get a service truck to pull and inspect them locally to see what they look like inside but how much more money would you want to put into tires cracked like that?
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #5

I am disappointed. Before I purchased these tires I had read all the Michelin side wall cracking post but the XZA2 had good reviews on side wall cracking. I would have put Toyo's on the front also but they did not make fronts with the load rating that was required. There was a service bulletin that Newmar or maybe Freightliner (years before I purchased the MH) put out on my MH that increased the load rating on the front. I'll have to look into this to make sure my next set also complies with the the bulletin.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

Is it possible to send a picture to Michelin tech support and get a reply? I'll call tomorrow, just curious if anyone had done this.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What pressure do you set those front tires at?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What pressure do you set those front tires at?
All tires were set 5 Psi over the tire pressure charts. All tires set to 95 Psi. When I bought the MH I went straight to the tire store. Put new rubber all around. A few months later I went to FCCC in Gaffney. I had the service department do a complete service along with a 4 corner weight. The techs came up with the same numbers I did using the tire inflation charts for the Michelin fronts and the Toyo rears. Charts showed 90 we added 5 to get to 95.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #9

Always see interesting comments on any "TIRE" post (and there are plenty).

When I purchased my '06 TSS in '17, it had 5010 miles. The original Michelins were on the coach. Since the tires were 11 years old, I bought all new Michelins.

There was no cracking on those original tires, but due to age I purchased new tires. My new Michelins were manufactured in Germany. The only change I made was on the steer tires (Coach X) to enhance the maximum front-end load.

I know that many owners have established a personal preference for a specific tire brand; just like they do for a coach brand. Many comments are made against certain tires, including Michelins. I have not experienced the cracking that comes up in these comments. I wonder how many other owners have Michelins and have not experienced any premature cracking.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

Talked to Michelin this morning. Told me what I already knew about the 7 year warranty if I did meet the criteria for a warranty replacement. Was mostly calling to get some info about local to me shops with some experience inspecting. Not much help there. The 2 shops local to me I called this morning did not give me any warm fuzzy feelings regarding inspections. Got the standard "oh those RV tires time out at 5-6 years and need replacing".

Yes we all know that tires can and do time out. I think I would have fallen over if someone said "bring the MH by and we will have our tech do an inspection and see if they pass or need replacing". I won't mention the 2 shops by name. They have good reviews for selling RV and Truck tires and getting them installed. When you call a shop you can't base your review on the person who answered the phone. That is not always a good benchmark for the overall shop.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #11

Any Michelin owners with experience dealing with this issue have an opinion.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always run Michelin XRV 22.5 tires for the entire 14 years and 96,000 miles of my coach's life.

I've gone through a couple complete sets and have never worried about cracks that size.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I put two XZA2's on the front about three years ago and there are no signs of cracking!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I put two XZA2's on the front about three years ago and there are no signs of cracking!
Showoff.

Tags
michelin