Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

Michelin tires - defective??

bought new new LTX's for my class C just over 3 years ago
right front was losing air - 5lbs overnight
found leak in centre of tread - had garage fix it from the outside as we were travelling
got back home & wanted it repaired from the inside properly

my repair shop said the entire centre line was full of pin holes - had to replace it - less than 10K miles
says Michelin never pays for defective workmanship, but would try anyway

do i have any recourse with Michelin?

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Michelin gets to do their own examination of the tire and determine the status and cause. If they say it's not their problem, your "recourse' is to get your own expert analysis and sue them if your expert disagrees with theirs. Messy and rarely worth the effort unless it can be made into a class action suit to help cover the expenses.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

Michelin is the only tiire company I know of that puts out a chart with pictures of cracked sidewalls, so you can determine if it's still safe to drive on them. My rig came with Michelins, and they had cracked sidewalls when they were brand new. They looked like jigsaw puzzles by the time I got rid of them, and they also drove squirrely from the beginning. I think their many decades of advertising got them a great name, but I wouldn't buy them.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

I've always run Michelin tires on my Class C.
Only had one problem, inside dual wouldn't hold air.
Costco put a new one on for "replacement cost" and sent the defective one back to Michelin.

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

If your tire was improperly repaired, and you admit it was, and you traveled with it, how would that be Michelin's fault ?

The reason a tire needs repair from the inside is so the air does not get into the layers of cords and tread material. Treads are not leak proof, only the inner layer is.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck on getting any relief.

I originally had Firestone's on my 1997 Class C, this was during the tire separation fiasco and Firestone did have a big recall but it did not include RV tires. Guess what I had 3 with tire separation.

So I thought I buy the best and put a set of Michelin on. The drove great and wear was minimal after 4 years but the excessive sidewall cracking forced me to replace. This is a known problem with Michelin.
When I bought our Class A I had Bridgestones installed, the lasted and aged out but looked really good when they pulled them off, I was impressed. But the availability and price of Bridgestones earlier this year resulted in me putting a set of Yokohama's on. We'll see how they do, this may be my last set.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
...I think their many decades of advertising got them a great name, but I wouldn't buy them...
Not me either...had an OEM set of eight, changed them at five and a half years...side wall cracking.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Twinboat is exactly correct.
You voided the warranty with an improper repair.
The proper repair is a patch plug from the inside. Sealing the halobutyl linerÖthis it the only part of the tire that keeps a tire from losing air. Lower cost tires use less halobutyl in the liner and that is why you need to add air more often on some lower cost tires.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #9

Michelins came on my 2014 dually. After a couple of years they were cracking and I took them to discount tire and they sold me new set for half price which I felt was reasonable but once you plug one from the outside the negotiating is over.

Good luck
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:03 PM   #10

My Michelins cracked after 2 years. Would never buy these again.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a word……..TOYO
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Funny thing, I have been running Michelins for years and have never had any sidewall cracking. Maybe it is because I normally travel more that 10K miles a year which keeps the chemicals in the tire protecting it from premature failure.
Drive the coach and protect your tires or let it sit and ruin them
Old 10-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #13

We have always run Michelins and have never had issues like explained above. We are still working so only use the RV during the camping season (April - October). We average 8,000 miles a year and store the RV in a heated garage when not in use.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #14

Had five year old Michelin's on my dp with what presented as minor sidewall cracks per Michelin's chart. It failed an North Carolina annual safety inspection due to the sidewall cracks, so I had to get new tires to renew the tag for the coach. I had planned to replace them in another two years, but had no choice. I probably won't get them for the coach again.

Tags
tires, michelin, tire