Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #29

... I thought this post ask for information regarding a no slide out RV & was a simple question ; should be easy for the members to give helpful answers if we have them. We are all different & have different needs, wants & desires. Look at all the different types of RV's & different manufacturers & different models.... More to add but will leave it at that....
Stuff-Happens is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #30

I too have a no slide coach a 2002 Safari Trek 2830 very similar to the slightly newer 28RB2 mentioned above. I don't need or want a slide to make things wider, most slide layouts only add open floor space when set up for camping, and leave a cramped and often non-functional layout with the slides in. One thing I like about not having a slide is the ability to look back over my shoulder when driving and looking at the living area side windows when merging into traffic, etc. sure the side mirrors are good too, but sometimes they are at the wrong angle. This is something one can't effectively do with many slide layouts. Also not having slides means not having to worry about slides leaking, slides getting stuck, and not having to carry all that extra weight of the slide mechanism.

Ike

p.s. yes my car does have a manual transmission, specifically a 6 speed Tremec TR-6060
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
... I thought this post ask for information regarding a no slide out RV & was a simple question ; should be easy for the members to give helpful answers if we have them. We are all different & have different needs, wants & desires. Look at all the different types of RV's & different manufacturers & different models.... More to add but will leave it at that....
Thank you, Stuff-Happens, for at least acknowledging what the OP asked for. Some of us have tried to be helpful, and provide answers.

Others seem intent upon steering this thread in a different direction, along with the implication that anyone not desiring a single or multiple slideouts must be silly, making ridiculous comments, or incapable of making an informed, intelligent decision ....even possibly due to a slideout "phobia".

My shrink can attest to the fact that I absolutely possess no such affliction.

As stated earlier...some of us...just don't want an RV with a slideout.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As I read through this post, I had to laugh. Some of the reasons for not having a slide are absolutely ludicrous. Do all of you non slide owners have stick shift cars with no power windows, power brakes, or air conditioning? The funniest one is the guy who says if the slide goes out you may have to sell. So you have no concern the engine or trans could blow, since they would be substantially more to replace than a slide repair. Replacing an A/C unit would cost more than a slide repair. If you're going to have an argument against slides, at least make it reasonable.

I've been RVing for over 40 years and bet that I have more miles and nights on the road than many of you, yet I've NEVER seen someone stranded in a park with a stuck slide........ever!

Even funnier, all the people who have slides, who certainly had some kind of non slide RV in their past, would never go back to a non slide coach......yet those with non slide coaches have more reasons for having a non slide coach than Carter has pills.....I wonder why that is?

Sure, slides break down, people smack them into walls or close them with stuff in the way, but they're no more prone to break down than other components on a coach. I HIGHLY doubt that a candid conversation with a repair shop revealed that slides were the biggest issue. I do all my own repairs and constantly help friends and family repair their coaches. NONE of those repairs ever dealt with slides. I've had two multi slide coaches over the past 14 years. I've never had a slide failure.

P.S. Okay....it kind of bugged me that there were some really silly statements made about slides, so I digressed. To answer the OP's question, there are some brands out there, particularly Lazy Daze that offers a non slide coach, but I would never shy way from enjoying the spaciousness of a coach with a slide.
What he said
Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
That's crazy, Do you still watch tv on a tube style tv?
No need for that.

It's not such a crazy question. We would have seriously considered a unit with no or minimal slides had we found any. Since we didn't, we shopped very carefully for usability with slides retracted. Our concern was not so much the potential for failure as the times and places slides cannot and or may not be extended.
K6NCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
You're concerned about a problem that may never happen, it hasn't happened to us or many others since slides were first installed. And your cure is a problem that you will have to deal with every day, which is not enough room and bumping into each other when you're in your RV and trying to get past each other.
Our first "bigger" class A was 1998 Bounder which we deliberately bought with no slides. We ended up full timing for four years, just the two of us and a cat. with no problems.

Since then we have had two more class A's both with slides. Had some problems with the one before our current one but let me say this: having had slides I will never want to go back! Go into a 36 footer with no slides then go immediately into one with slides. The difference is astounding!!
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Folks, several posts have been removed for personal attacks. May I remind everyone, from our Community Rules:
Quote:
Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice.
Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable
Please discuss the issue & leave the sniping out of it.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Do all of you non slide owners have stick shift cars with no power windows, power brakes, or air conditioning?
As a matter of fact I have two cars with stick shift and no power windows. Also no anti-lock brakes. Would have bought the model without air-conditioning but didn't want a black car. That car would not have had power steering either.
Funny, if I could have bought the MH with a manual transmission I would have except the resale would have been next to impossible.
64 years old and this is the first vehicle I ever bought with an automatic transmission.

I chose a no slide MH for simplicity.
I wanted a small MH so I don't have to tow a car.
22 foot long, designed on purpose not to have a slide.
We use the MH for a month vacation every year.
When at the campsite, when we decide to go sightseeing, shopping or for dinner, we just get in and drive.
No muss, no fuss.
We can go anywhere, anytime by sliding into the drivers seat and staring the engine.
Our MH has a very easily deployed murphy bed and have a perfect living space when the murphy bed is not in sleeping mode.
Our bathroom rivals most class A bathrooms. It even has room for the cat's litter box.

Very happy with our no slide MH for less to go wrong, simplicity of operation and the well designed living space withless area to heat and cool.

We don't need all of the extra room slides provide. Don't plan on having any dance parties.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
As a matter of fact I have two cars with stick shift and no power windows. Also no anti-lock brakes. Would have bought the model without air-conditioning but didn't want a black car. That car would not have had power steering either.

Funny, if I could have bought the MH with a manual transmission I would have except the resale would have been next to impossible.

64 years old and this is the first vehicle I ever bought with an automatic transmission.

I chose a no slide MH for simplicity.

I wanted a small MH so I don't have to tow a car.

22 foot long, designed on purpose not to have a slide.

We use the MH for a month vacation every year.

When at the campsite, when we decide to go sightseeing, shopping or for dinner, we just get in and drive.

No muss, no fuss.

We can go anywhere, anytime by sliding into the drivers seat and staring the engine.

Our MH has a very easily deployed murphy bed and have a perfect living space when the murphy bed is not in sleeping mode.

Our bathroom rivals most class A bathrooms. It even has room for the cat's litter box.

Very happy with our no slide MH for less to go wrong, simplicity of operation and the well designed living space withless area to heat and cool.

We don't need all of the extra room slides provide. Don't plan on having any dance parties.

I too have had a motorhome with a slide ( 2007 Itasca 33), no problems. I didn't see the need for a bedroom slide though. I now have Safari Class C with no slides I love! If one shops carefully a used quality motorhome without slides can be found, the Safari Trek for example. With or without slides has never been as important to me as quality craftsmanship and the right floorplan.
EdD
1998 Safari 2620 Class C
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide