Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Montana Registration

OK. I have a question. We all know about Montana LLC's and the associated problems around sales tax etc., but what about a bone fida personal purchase by an individual?

If I have a Montana drivers licence (which I believe I can get as a non-US citizen, with a Montana address, then in theory, I should be able to register a MH there and not have to pay sales tax? As I don't have a US 'income' then state income tax shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about property taxes.

However, the MH is likely to be stored out if state when not in use but not necessarily at the same place each time and I am aware that storage location comes into play sometimes when it comes to sales tax etc.

Am I missing something somewhere or does this sound feasible? Is there anything else I am missing?

I know the Montana thing has been beat to death on numerous occasions but I just want to either put this thought out if my head or keep it open as a viable option. And just for those who think I should pay up, anything I save on MH sales tax would be spent elsewhere in the US.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A phone call to one of these places would have better results to your questions ,
Montana RV Registration | MT Registered Agents | Tax-Free Montana LLC : Deer Creek Corporate Services

Bennett Law Office P.C. - Bennett Law Office P.C.

Montana LLC
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had a MT LLC on my last MH and I complied with my state laws of having it out of state for the first 6 months so I didn't have any problems. However on my new MH that has had some delivery issues I am dropping the MT LLC and will be paying the state sales tax. The reason for that is...if I have to go to arbitration, or file under the Florida Lemon Law, I think I will have a problem with a MT registration and living in FL.

I am one of those that is pro MT LLC if you meet the requiments. I did and it worked fine. I re-registered it FL 2 years later with no problems what so ever. I also held title in a trust and not personally.

I think your idea is fine if you establish residences in MT there would be no sales tax. When I stored mine, it was in locked inside storage so no one could be looking at the plates anyhow. A cheap price to pay for the tax savings.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
OK. I have a question. We all know about Montana LLC's and the associated problems around sales tax etc., but what about a bone fida personal purchase by an individual?

If I have a Montana drivers licence (which I believe I can get as a non-US citizen, with a Montana address, then in theory, I should be able to register a MH there and not have to pay sales tax? As I don't have a US 'income' then state income tax shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about property taxes.

However, the MH is likely to be stored out if state when not in use but not necessarily at the same place each time and I am aware that storage location comes into play sometimes when it comes to sales tax etc.

Am I missing something somewhere or does this sound feasible? Is there anything else I am missing?

I know the Montana thing has been beat to death on numerous occasions but I just want to either put this thought out if my head or keep it open as a viable option. And just for those who think I should pay up, anything I save on MH sales tax would be spent elsewhere in the US.

Andy - setting up and buying an RV on Montana plates is easy. As suggested by "palehorse", get in touch with Bennett Law office. They will handle all of that for you for a fee. You can store it where ever you like and never have to return to Montana for MOT's (UK vehicle inspection) or the like. You will have to get small annual tags to put on you license plates (tax discs) and Bennett can handle that as well.

Getting a US drivers license when not being a US resident is not possible. You may have a US postal address, but you don't have a Social Security number and that puts a stop to that.

How do I know all this? We have been doing exactly this since 2007 as non-residents. Check out my website Danes on tour

If I can assist you in any way, feel free to send me a PM (personal message) through iRV2. We should have most of the answers to the "problems" that you may encounter as a "tourist"

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is it legal?

Yes.

Is it tax evasion? Depends on your "home" state.

EDIT...after realizing the OP is probably a UK resident, it may not be much of a problem but for those US residents that stumble on the thread...

An EXCELLENT article!

From What About Using A Montana LLC To Avoid Sales Tax?

In Montana, setting up a Montana LLC for out-of-staters for the purpose of avoiding sales taxes is perfectly legal. There is absolutely no question about that.

However, your state of residency does NOT have to follow Montana law. So if their laws conflict with Montana on this issue, they have every right to ignore the Montana LLC, and make the RV purchaser pay sales taxes.

Do you feel lucky?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

Andy, we own our Airstream through a Montan LLC. No sales tax was payable on purchase and because it is more than 10 years old, we have permanent tags so not even any annual registration costs. No annual inspections either. We insure it with progressive using a friend's Californian address. Store it in CA too, although that might change this year. We don't have a US license and just get an international driving permit to team up with our Australian License. Not really needed in the US but needed it in South America and parts of Europe. Yet to be asked for it.

As for doing what you suggest, don't know. I believe that there are some US states that you can do it, but most are the same as most of Europe - and UK too where aliens can own a vehicle but have great difficulty in registering and insuring them. The LLC gets around that, although strangely, Progressive have never made any fuss about it and seem to be happy having everything in my name. They even suggested finding a CA address to reduce the premiums.

I've just bought a CA registered F350 that is actually located in Argentina and Deer Creek LLC in Montana arranged the re-registration and new title and mailed me all the new paperwork and new permanent plate and I have never been near their offices.

Crazy. I can't own and operate a US vehicle but I can legally own a Montana LLC which can own as many vehicles as I want to buy.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also travel with my "native" drivers license plus an International license, and also never had to show this anywhere.

My reason to want a US drivers license is that my insurance cost is twice what everyone else is paying due to my non-US drivers license. In other words - I could half the cost with is a substantial amount. I am also insured with Progressive.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Yes, insurance is a bit more expensive - but in the greater scheme of things, the difference is not much more than a tank of fuel. We only use it for 6 months per year so as soon as the vehicle goes into storage I drop the insurance to the minimum or cancel it altogether so that saves a bit.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Yes, insurance is a bit more expensive - but in the greater scheme of things, the difference is not much more than a tank of fuel. We only use it for 6 months per year so as soon as the vehicle goes into storage I drop the insurance to the minimum or cancel it altogether so that saves a bit.
Our insurance went up by $1,250 in one year when they started charging extra for non-US drivers licenses. Although our fuel tank is big it will not hold 342 gallons

BTW - it went up by 100% the same year we became valued "Diamind members" for having been customers for 5 years without having a claim.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #10

Yet another advantage of buying a "senior" motorhome. Cheaper, so insurance premiums are lower and no yearly registration.

I insure it for as much third party liability as Progressive will issue but if I went with the more usual pathetically-low statutory limits, I could save even more
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Getting a US drivers license when not being a US resident is not possible. You may have a US postal address, but you don't have a Social Security number and that puts a stop to that. How do I know all this? We have been doing exactly this since 2007 as non-residents.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about that. Mostly because I'm a Canadian with no US Social Security Number, but WITH a Florida Drivers Licence.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-license-nc.shtml
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

Special deal for Canadians who spend lots of time hiding from the cold in Florida.

The rest of us aliens would have a hard time complying with the requirements without a fair bit of creative paperwork.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #13

Have read and re-read the ID req.ts for a Florida license. The two key documents that seem to satisfy the checks for a non-immigrant to get a FL drivers license are a valid I-94 visa and a government-issued, non-US passport in lieu of a Social Security number. Will call them this week to double check. Will speak to Montana DMV as well while I'm at it in case I go down that route. Will report back!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Have read and re-read the ID req.ts for a Florida license. The two key documents that seem to satisfy the checks for a non-immigrant to get a FL drivers license are a valid I-94 visa and a government-issued, non-US passport in lieu of a Social Security number. Will call them this week to double check. Will speak to Montana DMV as well while I'm at it in case I go down that route. Will report back!
OK.Just got off the phone with the DMV in Sandford, FL. According to the nice lady there, it is possible to get a FL drivers license as a non-US citizen, non-immigrant status. There is one problem though, it will expire when the I-94 visa does. As a 'tourist' this would be six months max, even though an overarching visa may last up to ten years. Driving test & exam required the first time but subsequent renewals would just be a paperwork exercise. The cost? $69.25 each time, which effectively is once per year max. A small price to pay for lower insurance premiums on both the MH & Toad. Hope this helps other people in a similar position to me.