Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

More gelcoat issues-seeking advice.

Got another repair I want to tackle. See pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4852B34F-423A-4722-AE3A-C858F7042C81.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	251347   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB225E1D-E2CA-4D98-9B20-7681D7C60ABB.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	251348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4DEB9F28-95E8-4B56-9B28-1F62C5799223.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	251349   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C480532-9BF4-41E3-B349-71E0EF54E290.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	251350  

Dirtyfrank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Looks to me like the gelcoat is peeling off, all the way down to the fiberglass. My plan is to scrape anything loose off, sand and repaint. Few coats of primer, few coats of rustoleum marine. And then restripe. Do you think I should skim a layer of bondo, or maybe marine tex on the fiberglass first? Then prime and paint? Or will several coats of a filling primer bridge the gap to the existing gelcoat that I don’t remove? Gonna try to have a paint store tint the paint a little to get a closer match to the old gelcoat. And use the new stripe to break up any color difference. Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

And separately, why do some of pictures turn when I upload?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

You will have to go deep on this one. A flap sander on a right angle grinder to get the bulk off. Don't bother scraping. Sometimes that hurts the material worse.

Once you are down to where nothing is loose, then body plastic to rebuild the top surface.

You might also consider laminating new filon to the existing to eliminate all that body plastic sanding. You still need to grind down the loose stuff first.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
You will have to go deep on this one. A flap sander on a right angle grinder to get the bulk off. Don't bother scraping. Sometimes that hurts the material worse.

Once you are down to where nothing is loose, then body plastic to rebuild the top surface.

You might also consider laminating new filon to the existing to eliminate all that body plastic sanding. You still need to grind down the loose stuff first.
Thanks again for your insight Dav. Most of it will flake right off. Prob grind around the edges to make sure I get back to solid gelcoat. Something like bondo what you were thinking in terms of filler? Or did you have something else in mind?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

I think I'd find a replacement panel. Maybe some "fiberglass reinforced panel" (FRP) from a home center, similar to a shower stall material. Not sure about the UV resistance but paint might protect it. You could cut out the bad down to the top of the window and seam it across to the slideout. I think it might be easier since I think you'll find the backer board is probably rotten. You could replace that at the same time. Sometimes what looks fast and easy takes longer and is harder.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
I think I'd find a replacement panel. Maybe some "fiberglass reinforced panel" (FRP) from a home center, similar to a shower stall material. Not sure about the UV resistance but paint might protect it. You could cut out the bad down to the top of the window and seam it across to the slideout. I think it might be easier since I think you'll find the backer board is probably rotten. You could replace that at the same time. Sometimes what looks fast and easy takes longer and is harder.
Thanks Jim! I will get a better look after I peel some the flakes off. So far no water infiltration inside, so maybe the board underneath isn’t that far gone. Although this would be good practice for the other issue I’m having on the back. Detailed in an earlier post. For now it looks like it’s just the gelcoat that’s coming off, looks to me like the fiberglass is still ok. I’ll know more this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

If the fiberglass looks very raw, you might paint some fiberglass resin over the exposed glass to relocate it. Use a chip brush.
Then, once hard, sand rough and apply body plastic and flatten it all out.
Follow that with primer, block sand, spot putty, prime, block sand, paint.

You could also spray gel coat back on as well instead of paint.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If the fiberglass looks very raw, you might paint some fiberglass resin over the exposed glass to relocate it. Use a chip brush.
Then, once hard, sand rough and apply body plastic and flatten it all out.
Follow that with primer, block sand, spot putty, prime, block sand, paint.

You could also spray gel coat back on as well instead of paint.
Thanks again Dav!!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to be aruging with any else here is how I would approach the job. Sand down till you get into a uniform glass pattern. Feather the edges of the sanded area and the solid gel coat then apply two coats of Polyester resin applying a sheet of wax paper over the coated area. use a straight edge to smooth the serface of the wax paper. Polyester will only dry completely in the absence of oxygen. You will play hell trying to match the gel coat color. If you try to spray the gel coat you will need a gel coat gun or thin the gel so much that it will run all over the place. So If I were to try to get color back on th surface I would use a polyester resin and color mix. It can be done before you add the activator, and white comes in several different shades. If you do this use the colored polyester for the second coat and then a third coat using the wax paper on each coat. Now you should have enough thickness to sand it smooth. That said I found it so difficult to match the color that on many boat repair jobs we would come up with a paint pattern that worked into the oroginal design and do both sides to match with a good quality of two part base clear coat paint
Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #11

Fiberglass

Ouch, that looks bad. The gelcoat obviously has failed, however the underlying fiberglass with resin has also failed or suffered damage. Having repaired numerous fiberglass failures on automobiles, I truly believe you need to sand back to solid fiberglass then apply fresh resin and fiberglass woven mat. You probably only need to do two or three layers. The resin will help bind any loose fibers to the new cloth. Sand the area down level, then.....

Once you have done that, I would follow the previous posters suggestions to apply fresh gelcoat to make a water tight seal. You can primer and paint from there.

One question. Seeing quite a bit of green moss. Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? Or did the roof previously leak?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I making some repairs on my coach (not as bad as yours) and I have found the "Total Boat" products to be excellent for fiberglass repair.TotalBoat

I used the two-part epoxy to fill in some deep gouges, and then the "epoxy flaring compound" to fill in voids. This stuff is tough (made for marine environment).

I would sand off all the loose stuff then see if the Flaring Compound alone is enough to fill and level the surface. If it is, you can prime and paint over it. If the damage is too deep, there are other products you can use first.

On my coach, I was surprised at how thin the actual fiberglass layer is. The wall is made of plywood (or lauan) with maybe two layers of fiberglass top of that coated with the gel coat and paint. There is really no "fiberglass" so to speak - not like you would find in boat construction where its 1/4" or thicker.

There's a YouTube site called "BoatWorksToday" that demonstrates these products and provides lots of good information on working-with/repairing fiberglass.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0k...zdqFUk3oTaHBuA
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Ouch, that looks bad. The gelcoat obviously has failed, however the underlying fiberglass with resin has also failed or suffered damage. Having repaired numerous fiberglass failures on automobiles, I truly believe you need to sand back to solid fiberglass then apply fresh resin and fiberglass woven mat. You probably only need to do two or three layers. The resin will help bind any loose fibers to the new cloth. Sand the area down level, then.....

Once you have done that, I would follow the previous posters suggestions to apply fresh gelcoat to make a water tight seal. You can primer and paint from there.

One question. Seeing quite a bit of green moss. Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? Or did the roof previously leak?
I am in central PA, though the rv was most recent homed in NY. No water infiltration inside, so I think it’s just been like pictures for long enough to grow the moss.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
On my coach, I was surprised at how thin the actual fiberglass layer is. The wall is made of plywood (or lauan) with maybe two layers of fiberglass top of that coated with the gel coat and paint. There is really no "fiberglass" so to speak - not like you would find in boat construction where its 1/4" or thicker.
Right, standard Filon fiberglass sheet is .045" thick. Not a lot to work with.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice