Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #99

sirpurrcival, was your experience at the Blue Water Bridge, going from Canada into Michigan? Sometimes this crossing will have RV lanes open which are really fast. One time crossing over none of the overhead signs are lit for RV's and the booths were pretty crowded. So, trying to be a considerate RV'er I pull all the way over to the last booth to the far right. As we get up to the customs officer the first question he asks us, not where you from or where are you going, but, why hell did you chose this lane? I told him I didn't see any RV lanes so I was trying to be considerate of the heavy traffic because of my 35' RV with car and dolly, total about 56'. All the CO does is say good luck as he glances to his left at the concrete obstacle course of Jersey Barriers I had to drive through to clear customs. He never asked any other questions! My DW got out to guide my right front so I could use every inch of space to get through the barriers. The final turn left was more than a 45 degree and I didn't know if the car and dolly would clear. As I was inching forward the traffic from all of the other booths clearing through stopped to give me as much room as I needed. So, barely, we made it through, DW jumped back in, I waved to all of the cars waiting for me and we were on our way. A couple of hours later when we pulled into our state park campground I noticed that I ripped out the trailer wiring to the RV for the dolly and tow lights and one of the dolly lights was hanging by its wires, the plastic frame holding it in cracked probably from the car hitting the dolly fender (plastic luckily) when making the tight turns at customs.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #100

Smile Connecting Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
What has been your most embarrasing RV related event?

I haven't driven my Class A much yet, but my most embarrassing experience so far was having to park properly next to a gas pump at the gas station. I didn't pull in correct the first time and I ended up backing up and pulling forward multiple times.

I noticed I had an audience and someone came over to comment after I got out. I felt pretty sheepish since it was an end island with plenty of room.

I'll bet there are some very funny stories to share. Fess up time!
John here,
Picked up new MH at dealer in Forest City Iowa. Traded in our 2002 Adventurer.Moved everything from one coach to other. Next day was ready to roll. Took pictures etc. Did not move 5 feet and heard a bang (not good). Turns out I missed the hole with the pin that connects towbar to back of new MH. There was a slight incline to driveway. Tow crashed into ladder and bent ladder into back. Talk about embarrassing! It can happen!
John Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Knittler, been there. I now make it a point after I start it up to let the air build up, I take a 360 walk around looking up and down and step back to get a view of the roof for anything sticking up, which in my case would only be the tv antennae. Also check bay doors for latching, sometimes they look latched but a gentle push by my leg will sometimes reveal a latch wasn't quite locked in.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #102

Luckily I didn't

I think I can top the list. On my very first camping in a 10 year old used Class C, I got ready to leave the campground and instead of going straight out to the highway, I drove around the campsites looking for the best one next time. As I rounded a turn I heard this thumping sound on the right side of the RV. Upon stopping and looking, I had left the canopy out and was driving around with really good shade on the right side of the camper. Fortunately there was only 2 campers that seen me and gave me a hardy clap and laugh as I rolled it in.
Billr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #103

Not sure if the statute of limitations has run out from 30 years ago yet, but...

In an unnamed campground, in an unnamed state, we pulled in late one night. Found the sewer opening in the dark and hooked up the sewer hose and proceeded to open the valve(s). Went to bed.

Woke up in the morning to a 'blue lake' on the far side of the coach. Seems the sewer opening was actually an in-ground sprinkler valve. We left quickly.

Another time, when we had a truck camper, I was taking a shower when the water started backing up into the shower pan. My buddy was just outside and I yelled at him to pull the valve open. Well, he did and the hose promptly popped off covering him with the tank contents. Glad he was a VERY good friend!

Forty years of RV'ing will provide some 'entertaining' stories...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #104

Rodekyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
It depends on what is an RV.

I had a 22' C-Dory, which is a little flat bottomed cabin cruiser. I used it in boondock mode in and about the islands of SE Alaska. I regularly "dried it out," which means I'd anchor it between the tides and let it go high and dry while I hunted, fished, took pictures, whatever. It made loading and unloading easier, and also made a stable photography platform.

One day I was up near the high tide line unloading gear in the narrow flats behind Hallick Island, which makes up part of one side of Peril Strait, north of town. The boat will float in ankle-deep water, so I had pushed it way up the flat, near the water's edge. The idea was to unload for hunting and then anchor out a ways, letting the boat drift on its rode and settle wherever it wanted to, while I built a blind and set out some decoys.

Suddenly a flight of ducks went low overhead, headed for the muskeg with their flaps and gear down. They were completely unaware of me and kept dropping in over my head in small groups. I made it to dry ground, dropped a duffel I was carrying, swung up my Ithica 12ga, and popped a pair of pintails.

As they fluttered down, a peregrine dove on one. I was completely taken by the little falcon. There was an explosion of feathers as it struck the duck, and the two went to ground together. I stood staring at the attack, and forgot to mark the other duck down.

But an eagle saw it running for a lead and was driving for it. I ran it down and got there first. This was competition I wasn't expecting. It took me several hundred yards from the RAGING FERRET, as I'd named the boat. As I picked up the pintail, satisfied to have saved one for myself, I heard disaster coming my way: Twin outboards.

Crap! the Raging Ferret was already at the high tide mark, some ski boat cowboy was headed across the flat, and I stood no chance of pushing it into deeper water before the approaching wake tossed it above the normal surf line. But maybe . . . . I dropped the gun and duck and raced back to the beach.

It was indeed too late. The boat was dried out at about the level of the weekly high tide. I was 20 miles from Sitka on an island that perhaps nobody had set foot on in 50 years. I'd be floating again in about 5 days, maybe. Sooner if the wind was right. I tossed the duffel bag back into the boat and headed back to retrieve the shotgun and duck. At least I'd eat good tonight.

And that's the embarrassing part: Along with losing to the peregrine and getting the boat washed up on the beach, the eagle had returned, stolen my dinner, and pooped on the Ithica.
Rodekyll:Great story. You should write a book of your adventures. Great storytelling.
Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #105

We were new to RVing. We took our older DP to a local park to for a "shake out" run. I learned I had a problem with the city water getting into the coach. I kept hearing a buzzing noise under the bathroom sink. I found some sort of valve there and assumed it was a check valve to protect the city from my coach water. When we got home I tore the valve out to try and understand what it was and replace it. Turns out I hooked the city water to the black tank flush fitting. I even knew there were two fittings (fresh and black flush). Just got confused!
Old 04-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #106

Spent the day in Skagway then drove north, looking for a nice spot to spend the night. Off to the right was a beautiful flat area, overlooking a lake. I drove down and onto the flat and started to go slower, and slower , and slower, and stopped. The back wheels had sunk down to the axles! In loose gravel. I thought that if I excavated little holes, I could lower the levelers. raise up the chassis, and get something under the wheels. Couldn't use a shovel and had to dig with my hands. It was a beautiful moon lit evening. My fingers were raw and I gave up for the night. In the morning, a knock at the door. "Can I call you a tow?" "You can call me anything that you want, but I need help." It was a highway worker who then came down with a front-loader and got me out, then blocked the 'trail' with boulders. I found out that I had entered into a gold tailings basin, with the included acidic water. The door of the RV was covered with blood from my hands - wonder what the fellow was expecting when he knocked on the door!!! I was able to get first aid from a highway construction aid-station...
BobDye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #107

When I had my 5th wheel, I pulled away from in front of my house without a walk around first. Turns out I left my steps out. The steps hit my mailbox and cut it off at ground level and my steps got bent pretty bad.
Wonderful ..
Lucky I was on my way to the dealer for warranty service and they were happy to replace my steps, on my dollar of course.
And I got a new mailbox and a cranky wife too. Too much winning fo me!
Busbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
Hmm... I got a phone call and walked away while filling a 95 gallon portable potable water bladder. I forgot about it until I heard the loud boom and watched all all those gallons of water pour out of my truck bed, while people came to figure out what the noise was.

I can't believe how loud it was. It sent the heavy plastic fill nozzle about 100ft away into the street, luckily it didn't hit anybody. These aren't pressure vessels...

Attachment 280932

The aftermath...

I don't have a photo of it filled, but I do have a photo of the black tank version. Luckily this happened to the potable, or else it would have been more than just a little embarrassing.

Attachment 280933
So that big black bag in the back of your pickup is filled up with poo? [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #109

Quote:

Then one day, we had this knock on the door at one of our favorite campgrounds. We answered the door (clothed of course) and the guy standing there said that he appreciated our lifestyle, but he thought the rest off the campground would enjoy our presence a little more if our curtains were pulled just a "little tighter!".... oops!
Lololol

Honestly though, I've always considered it rude to look into neighbor's windows.

I say that if people are intrusive enough to be looking in on you through your windows, they shouldn't complain with what they see!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger rag1 View Post
Wife and I hadn't had our class A very long when we when on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. We started in Lexington at a centrally located RV Park. Got ready to leave and head to Louisville for our last leg and the living room slide wouldn't retract. Tried everything. Even a neighbor RV'er came over to help. I even called a mobile RV Tech to come over to help as the site we rented was already rented to another RV'er. He couldn't come over until later in the day. We even tried to manually retract the slide but that didnt work. About the time we were to checkout the neighbor asked where my house batteries were located. I showed him and he noticed the house battery on/off switch light was off. He hit the "use" switch and said now try it. Bamb, the slide started retracting. Needless to say I felt like an idiot.
Electrical troubleshooting 101: Is it plugged in or turned on? [emoji38][emoji1][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Old 04-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRV View Post
Several years ago, on a cross country trip, I was emptying my black water tank in an RV park with my macerator. Just as I started pumping I saw the drain hose start twitching around and about the time I realized that I had accidentally left the cap on the end of the sewer line it blew apart all over my legs! I had flip flops on and was sliding around and one of them broke. To make it worse as I was trying to get a grip on what just happened I noticed that I had quite an audience. As soon as I got home I painted the end cap a bright florescent orange and have never made that mistake again!!
Had the same thing happen to me. I got a brass cap and chain. Now it's impossible to install the end into the sewer without taking off the cap. But...
I've still tried a couple of times.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #112

There is always one thing you can be sure of......anything you have done or will do........*You will not have a Patent on it*........safe travels my friend
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent