Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

Most Embarrasing RV Event

What has been your most embarrasing RV related event?

I haven't driven my Class A much yet, but my most embarrassing experience so far was having to park properly next to a gas pump at the gas station. I didn't pull in correct the first time and I ended up backing up and pulling forward multiple times.

I noticed I had an audience and someone came over to comment after I got out. I felt pretty sheepish since it was an end island with plenty of room.

I'll bet there are some very funny stories to share. Fess up time!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like the first time I tried to fuel our Itasca. I pulled up to the pump and couldn't find the fuel door on the driver's side so I backed up and pulled to the other side. It wasn't there either, so I had to back up again and it was on the driver's side after all!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just purchased out class A. While getting fuel I did the ole park too far away routine. Had to move it a time or two. That’s part of learning I guess!
Ledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

It depends on what is an RV.

I had a 22' C-Dory, which is a little flat bottomed cabin cruiser. I used it in boondock mode in and about the islands of SE Alaska. I regularly "dried it out," which means I'd anchor it between the tides and let it go high and dry while I hunted, fished, took pictures, whatever. It made loading and unloading easier, and also made a stable photography platform.

One day I was up near the high tide line unloading gear in the narrow flats behind Hallick Island, which makes up part of one side of Peril Strait, north of town. The boat will float in ankle-deep water, so I had pushed it way up the flat, near the water's edge. The idea was to unload for hunting and then anchor out a ways, letting the boat drift on its rode and settle wherever it wanted to, while I built a blind and set out some decoys.

Suddenly a flight of ducks went low overhead, headed for the muskeg with their flaps and gear down. They were completely unaware of me and kept dropping in over my head in small groups. I made it to dry ground, dropped a duffel I was carrying, swung up my Ithica 12ga, and popped a pair of pintails.

As they fluttered down, a peregrine dove on one. I was completely taken by the little falcon. There was an explosion of feathers as it struck the duck, and the two went to ground together. I stood staring at the attack, and forgot to mark the other duck down.

But an eagle saw it running for a lead and was driving for it. I ran it down and got there first. This was competition I wasn't expecting. It took me several hundred yards from the RAGING FERRET, as I'd named the boat. As I picked up the pintail, satisfied to have saved one for myself, I heard disaster coming my way: Twin outboards.

Crap! the Raging Ferret was already at the high tide mark, some ski boat cowboy was headed across the flat, and I stood no chance of pushing it into deeper water before the approaching wake tossed it above the normal surf line. But maybe . . . . I dropped the gun and duck and raced back to the beach.

It was indeed too late. The boat was dried out at about the level of the weekly high tide. I was 20 miles from Sitka on an island that perhaps nobody had set foot on in 50 years. I'd be floating again in about 5 days, maybe. Sooner if the wind was right. I tossed the duffel bag back into the boat and headed back to retrieve the shotgun and duck. At least I'd eat good tonight.

And that's the embarrassing part: Along with losing to the peregrine and getting the boat washed up on the beach, the eagle had returned, stolen my dinner, and pooped on the Ithica.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #5

Some years back I owned a 1996 22 foot Jayco motorhome. My wife, daughter and I we're up near Portland and we thought we'd go up to Mount Hood. It was early Spring, a cool sunny day, and the road up completely dry.(or so I thought). We headed up the mountain and half way up it turned to a complete sheet of ice. I was doing real well until some folks in front of me were at a complete stop. Even those with 4 wheel drive were going nowhere. I had no chains. Someone told me they'll call the cops on you. I got out of the stopped rig to access the situation, and to my horror, the back of the rig started sliding slowing across the ice toward the edge of a cliff. I told my wife and daughter to get out, and as improbable as it might sound I pushed both arms against it and it stopped it. I was able to somehow start backing down the hill but I must have gone a 1/4 mile in reverse before I found a spot to swing it around and go down. I started going down and it wasn't 2 minutes that the cops we're coming up. The cop had a big grin on his face, but it turned into a frown when he saw me legally coming down. It was really a bone headed move for me to start up that mountain without checking the conditions. But it was all's well that ended well.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 AM   #6

Trying to leave a campground with the awning out. Oops.
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Drove about 30 miles to a rally. Forgot to lower the satellite dish, and when I pulled into the rally everybody was pointing to my roof. Amazingly, no damage despite the fact that my coach is 13 feet tall and I’d driven several miles on tree lined streets. Talk about lucky!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Our DP is always hard to fill the last few gallons of fuel because of the foaming. Thought I remedy that by relieving pressure with the PS fuel cap unscrewed. Yep it did. Relieved quite a bit of fuel right out on the drive. Of course, it was a full station. Oiy!! [emoji15]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 AM   #9

I let the DW hook up the 3" sewer hose to the RV fitting while stuck the other end into a Flying J dump out station.

When I pulled the black tank valve open, the hose fell off the RV and out it came, splashing everywhere. Ugh.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
...the eagle had returned, stolen my dinner, and pooped on the Ithica.
Who says animals do not have a sense of humor?
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 04-02-2020, 05:18 AM   #11

Thank you all for sharing so far!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 AM   #12

Going down the road trailing the shore power cord...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Unhooked my toad on a slight incline, and forgot to put it in park. Got that strange feeling when I turned around and my vehicle had magically disappeared.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Black tank flush system, with the drain valve closed, has gotten me twice now, luckily with no witness'es !

First time I had it running, went inside coach, and pressed toilet flush pedal to see where we were ! Shot straight up to face height !

Second time, few years later, so I had forgotten about the first time, standing at the wetbay, watching the tank level gauge, thinking "gee, it's been sitting at 2/3 full for an awful long time". Walk around the front of the coach to turn off the spigot, water cascading down the passenger side of the coach off the roof vent !!

Tags
vent