Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Motor home vrs travel trailer

My wife and I bought a 99 Georgie Boy, (Class A, 30ft, gas) last spring. We used it 5 times last year. We had water leaks 3 times, once the first weekend we had it out. The dealer we bought it from said each time that they pressure tested it and it was tight, that was until the next time we took it out. I have a new pressure regulator which I bought before our first trip. We put the unit in underground storage for the winter. Got it out the beginning of May and on the way home had a complete brake failure. Was told the master cylinder went bad. I had bought an extended warranty and it was replaced but with state inspection ( needed 1 new tire) it still cost me $800.
During first trip after getting RV back, we had complete brake failure again. Dealer said caliber was shot. He replaced caliber but on his road test, it failed again. Replaced new caliber with another new caliber and took out for road test. This time the other side new caliber failed. Making this long story, short, since May 1 I have had my RV a total of 10 days and during the only 30 mile drive, it broke down. Neither my wife or I trust this RV and are considering turning it back in on a travel trailer. We have a 2007 Trailblazer and can only tow about 6,000 lbs but we cannot trust motor homes.
Have any of you gone from a motor home to a trailer and, if so, what are your feelings, opinions and suggestions. We are very, very disillusioned about motorhomes now.
Bill-Sandy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

You bought a MH that's 15 years old. You should expect some problems. You may have experienced the same problems with a travel trailer of that vintage. As these things age the maintenance goes up. Even with TT and MH much newer there are problems. I would make a list or have an inspection done to determine the cost of bringing the mechanical up to par and let that make the decision for you.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Bill Sandy
You have purchased a MH has has more system then a Trailer therefor you have to expect more to need attention. I am sorry you are having these issues. You will eventually get it in the shape where you will start to enjoy in and have confidence in it.

Happy Trails!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been in the towable world and motorhome. It seems in most cases the issues tend to be with the house systems (fridge, water heater, leaks, etc.) and not the chassis itself. Those house system issues are also present in a travel trailer.

I wouldn't rule out all motorhomes all togetjer if the one you purchased has issues. We sure do like the conveniences that a motorhome brings not only at the destination but in the travel to get there. (Less room required to set up, easier to park, built in bathroom facilities while under way, ability to move to a different seat to stretch legs, etc. )

If you are dealing with those weight limits for towing, you may need to consider smaller trailers and hybrid (hard sided and also has tent fabric pop outs) and such. Generally it seems that good practice is to not exceed 80% of the tow rating which would be around 4,900 lbs in your case.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Good thing you bought the extended warranty. Keep using it and working out the bugs.... Even brand new units go through a period where things break or were not built right, and requires time to sort them out.

If you have the budget, you might consider a newer coach. You can always pay a third party RV inspector before purchase to go over everything and find the issues ahead of time.

Have fun and enjoy.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
The travel trailer has brakes, water systems, and those touchy wheel bearings.

The trailer is not cool when you stop in the rest area and will be a walk in the rain when arriving at the rv park. While traveling, the potty is not available and lunch is way in back.

Hang in there.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

MH's and TT's do have something in common. Some manufacturers make quality products and some don't. Buying a 15 year old Georgie boy is not what I would have done. You don't mention what chassis the house is on but I've heard that the Workhorse chassis had brake problems but were other wise good units. If you decide to change to a TT stick with quality manufacturers. There is some real garbage out there. Good luck on what ever you decide.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

I've had both travel trailers and motor homes. Without question, the trailers are less expensive to buy and own. The main issue for me is that only a 5th wheel will satisfy my needs which requires a 1 ton truck to handle the load safely. By the time you get all that purchased, the used motor home is a wash cost wise.

I only buy used and try to buy equipment from owners that have maintained the equipment and NOT dealers that will lie about the condition. I try to buy equipment that is 10 years old or newer that have been well maintained.

As the saying goes, "you must pay to play"!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased a 15 year old motorhome in Arizona and drove it a 1050 miles home.

It only had 26K Miles on it. We drove it a couple of times in Phoenix before we left for home.

Maybe not the smartest thing I ever done but I thought with only 26K miles on it I should be ok.

BTW had father inlaw check it closely before we flew out to Phoenix to purchase it.

Only problem we had was the chassis battery and a loose battery connection.

Other than that it run like a champ and go us home.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
I need covered bed space so a 5er is out for me. A travel trailer is the only way to go for us. I see no reason to own a chassis and drive train that does nothing but pull the house around, so I won't buy a motorhome. I occasionally pull a pretty heavy trailer that isn't my TT. So I ended up with a 2500 Ram diesel. Of course, my situation isn't the same as yours... so yours will dictate what you do. I have a trip planned in September and another in October. In the mean time, I'll continue to get 19 - 20 mpg commuting and carpooling. I'm actually spending about the same on my commute... for fuel... because the mileage is figuring higher.

Enjoy...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I need covered bed space so a 5er is out for me.

I don't understand your statement. How is a bed "covered" in a TT but not in a 5er ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I don't understand your statement. How is a bed "covered" in a TT but not in a 5er ?
The bed of his truck has to be covered, he must keep stuff in the bed that he doesn't want to get wet.

Depending on the when the stuff is going to be there a 5th wheel still can work.
I started with a Dodge Dakota and a 21' TT, after going across country and only getting 7mpg I said no way. I upgraded to a Ram 3500 QC AB with Cummins and got a 5th wheel. I not only got a much bigger RV but also increased my MPG's to 11mpg towing across country. Now I have gone to next step and gotten rid of the 5th wheel and truck and gotten a Class A MH (gasser). Yes fuel mileage has gone back down to about 7mpg but the setup at the RV park is easier and I don't have to pull over for the wife to go to the restroom or grab me a drink or even get me something to eat. And as someone mentioned, the coach is cool when I get the camp ground, unless I'm not running the generator. I don't have to get wet when I pull in either. If it's really raining then I just wait to connect up.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you did not pay for an independent inspection. $800 for a tire? $300-$400 for an inspection might have saved a bundle. Did you do the research on problems and recalls on the coach?

LEN
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #14

As far as I can tell your choices are always:

1 Stay with a hard sided tent.

2. Buy a big tow vehicle and a pull behind.

3. Buy a small towed and a big truck chassis with the house on it.

Folks go back and forth over 2 and 3 but if you want to have a comfortable situation to live in it comes down to 2 or 3.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel