Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Any problems with the Overbuilt Motorcycle Hitch?
Yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
I'm interested in installing an Overbuilt motorcyle hitch on my W-22 33V Adventurer. Does anybody have one already installed on a W-22 and if so, any problems? For example, were you able to weld the receiver onto the chasis and still have access to the spare tire? Any rear tire blow out problems
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #2

I'm interested in installing an Overbuilt motorcyle hitch on my W-22 33V Adventurer. Does anybody have one already installed on a W-22 and if so, any problems? For example, were you able to weld the receiver onto the chasis and still have access to the spare tire? Any rear tire blow out problems
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont think that the W-22 wil be able to handle a MC lift. JMO
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A call to Blue Ox would be advised to get their opinion the motorhome's capacity.

HERE is a link to the Blue Ox weight calculator, which also has some info on chassis.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 AM   #5

I installed an Overbilt Lift on a 2000 Dutch Star with a Spartan chassis, but I would not recommend it for a Workhorse chassis.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You will almost surely be overweight on the rear axle unless it is a very small bike. And probably even if it is. And the weight way back there will tend to unload weight from the front axle as well, with possible handling problems as a result.

I suspect you will be better off with the type of motorcycle carrier that has a dolly wheel to help support the load.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses guys! I just did I search on this topic and it seems like there is a lot of great info on this subject.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ihave the same problem as you, I have a W-22 and I like to take my HD with me. Right now I load it into the back of my Ranger P/U and tow that. I have been looking for a better way and still have a vehicle to drive if the weather gets bad. I think I found the solution, for me anyhow. I'm looking to get a 60's (short wheel base) panel van. For me it will kill 2 birds with one stone. These vans weigh in at around 2400-2800#'s empty and it will double as a Hotrod and I will get rid of my T-Bucket, which has to be trailered to almost any show or meet that I go to.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #9

Hey Chuck: Are you saying that the Overbuilt hitch reciever can't be welded to the W-22 frame? I sure hope not. Since I already have the Overbuilt MC hitch, I've not quite given up on the dream to travel with both rides yet... one on the hitch and the other in the bed of the small P/U. I like your idea of a 60's van. Tell me more. That is really lite weight. What model and years of these vans should I be looking for?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ErWeGO:
Hey Chuck: Are you saying that the Overbuilt hitch reciever can't be welded to the W-22 frame? I sure hope not. Since I already have the Overbuilt MC hitch, I've not quite given up on the dream to travel with both rides yet... one on the hitch and the other in the bed of the small P/U. I like your idea of a 60's van. Tell me more. That is really lite weight. What model and years of these vans should I be looking for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good welder can weld just about anything but does a W22 have the capacity to safely carry the weight? You will probably be over on your rear axel load and even if not may transfer so much weight off your front axel that there could be drivability problems.

Cruiser Lift uses the following formula to determine if your coach is capable of carrying the weight:

A = Weight of Motorcycle + 460 lbs
B = Wheelbase + Rear Axel to Receiver + 23
C = Wheelbase

Then perform the following calculation:

Added Weight = A times B divided by C

For example putting an 800 lb motorcycle on a coach with a 248 inch wheelbase and 120 inch overhang to receiver would be:

A 800 + 460 = 1260
B 248 + 120 + 23 = 391
C 248

Added Weight 260 X 391 / 248 = 1986.53

You would effectively be adding close to 2000 lbs to your rear axel load with an 800 lb motorcycle. When loaded up with gas and gear does you coach have an extra 2000 lb capacity on the rear axel? Most likely not.

See:

http://cruiserlift.web.aplus.net/sitebuildercontent/sit...requirements2005.pdf

On a W22 a Tandem Tow Dolly maybe a better choice.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/towdolly.html
Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #11

Thanks Neil I appreciate the advice and the trouble you went to providing the math formula. I ran this setup on a class C and I did have some problems with rear tires blowing out. Correlation does not equal causation, but doing the math is pretty confirming of why I was blowing rears. The last blow out took out a storage bin and it cost about 600 to repair. I agree to that a tandom tow dolly is best but that idea about sticking it a clasic old van mentioned in a previous post is a pretty cool idea. What I need to find is an RV buddy that already has a toy hauler 5th wheel or one of the few newer Class As' with a rear garage. That way we'd have an enclosed vehicle for use at night or in bad weather. Ok I'm a fair weather rider for safety reasons. Guess the best thing for most is a trailer to put the rides in on some trips and the toad for other trips or like many are doing, renting a car at their destinations. I could rent for many days for the cost of a tandum tow dolly; $6,000. Thanks again for all the feedback / consultations on this post everybody. Maybe I could find a good welder to convert a good tow dolly into a tandum platform trailer for two bikes and the dinghy. Can't wait to hear about the new Smart for Two car that weighs only 1800#s curb weight listed in the 08 MH Guide to Dingy Towing.