Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #15

Cruiser Lift

I installed a Cruiser Lift on my Freightliner chassis. I agree to watch your weight on the rear axel, I am at MAX 19,000 lbs.

The ultimate motorcycle RV transportation system.

Ride is a Honda ST1300 750 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeLift.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	2155  
gkullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post

Has the trailer been much of a problem at finding campsites?

If you had to do it again would you have the long cargo trailer?
To be honest, I just purchased it this past October in preparation of leaving for Alaska next May. I have it parked in secured over-flow storage where I am living currently. I need to install some storage cabinets in the front, some additional E-Track for securing item's and a few other odds & ends. I have talked to a number of potential places where I may be staying at along my route to see about size of sites and/or temporary parking of my trailer. So far, I have not had any problem requesting what I need. Obviously, there are going to be places where I will not be able to go, however there are so many to choose from I don't see a problem.

Regarding whether I would purchase a long trailer again, I will reserve my opinion until after I have traveled with it for some thousands of miles to see what problems it may cause. I have setup my Saturn Vue with a HD hitch so once I am at my day's destination, if the site isn't large enough to handle my rig, I can hook up to the trailer with my car and move it slowly over to a parking area to store it while we are there providing that we are staying longer than an overnight.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I really like this option but damn, it costs more than an enclosed trailer.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I liked Hydralift( Hydralift USA ™ Motorcycle Lifts For RV’s ) but didn't like the toad hitch extension and if I could predict the future I could have gotten a longer trailer for the price of the Hydralift and the 6x10 Interstate trailer I all ready have. Also I wouldn't need the brake and tow bar system on my CRV.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #19

I did all the math and decided on a lift on the rear of my 40' Monaco. I found a Joey Lift out of OK. I am just barely with in limits due to the weight. The lift is simple and relatively inexpensive compared to other systems. I tow a Honda Fit now and did tow a Suzuki Gran Vitara hooked up to the Joey Lift. Never have problems. Just have to be careful to never get into a situation where I am forced to back up.
Have had no problems with overheating, rear weight bias, etc. and have been using this "system" for about three years now.
I am now considering a trailer for hauling a bike and a car and on or in, because I am finding less and less cars and or trucks with what I want, that are flat towable. I trade cars every three years and by the end of say a six cars spread or so, I could have paid for an open trailer instead of buying new base plates every time I trade a car. I could stay with a Honda Fit and maybe use the same base plate, but we all know that Honda could change or drop the Fit any year.
I also think that perhaps an enclosed trailer may be best in that the contents, car and bike would stay cleaner.
Anyone have any concrete ideas based on experience about the extra weight of a trailer and how it influences mileage? I know an open trailer would have more aero drag.
I would appreciate any and all comments.
Lee in AZ.

Lee in AZ
leeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #20

While at the Tampa RV show, I purchased a motorcycle lift which seemed, to me, to be reasonable priced and heavy enough to carry any motorcycle that I may purchase (I currently carry a Yamaha 650). It is called the 'Mighty Hauler', and information is available at mightyhauler.com

I have not received this carrier yet; when I do mount it, I will weigh back in with further opinions.

I was looking for a different carrier for my bike because loading the bike on my Versa-Haul carrier was a PITA for my wife and me. I will be able to load the bike on the Mighty Hauler by myself.

Happy Travels

Mike
michaelpatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #21

Thought I'd add my comments here and although my not help you much but may be useful to others seeking info on motorcycle lifts. First off, I run a 2002 Monaco Sig 42ft with tag. I installed a HydraLift with the Sport Adapter configured to carry 2 bikes each weighing 450lbs. I think the whole installation with bikes probably weighs about 1500 lbs. Been using for 3 years and works like a charm. The folks at Eagle's Pride in Titusville Florida did the install and have done many of these over the years..they know what they're doing.

Regarding weight/balance issues, my GVWR rating is 47,600. I'm weighing in at 42,925 fully loaded. I did have to adjust my tag to carry/redistribute more of the load between tag & drive and to return to original proportioning between all 3 axels.

I also tow my SUV behind this set-up (the HydraLift has a built-in 10,000 lb hitch). I considered a trailer but opted for the lift and have not regretted............for what it's worth!
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Thought I'd add my comments here and although my not help you much but may be useful to others seeking info on motorcycle lifts. First off, I run a 2002 Monaco Sig 42ft with tag. I installed a HydraLift with the Sport Adapter configured to carry 2 bikes each weighing 450lbs. I think the whole installation with bikes probably weighs about 1500 lbs. Been using for 3 years and works like a charm. The folks at Eagle's Pride in Titusville Florida did the install and have done many of these over the years..they know what they're doing.

Regarding weight/balance issues, my GVWR rating is 47,600. I'm weighing in at 42,925 fully loaded. I did have to adjust my tag to carry/redistribute more of the load between tag & drive and to return to original proportioning between all 3 axels.

I also tow my SUV behind this set-up (the HydraLift has a built-in 10,000 lb hitch). I considered a trailer but opted for the lift and have not regretted............for what it's worth!
I looked at a HydraLift also and it looked like about the best setup. I worried about the rear tie down protrusions, possibly they could hit the hood of my toad in certain situations. I didn't like extending the towd hitch point further back either. I think that a rear mount motorcycle carrier for safety should be mounted only on a tag motorhome. Since I have a single rear axle motorhome I am still considering a trailer for towd and motorcycle. Still not to the point of a trailer yet though.
Good information on this post.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote