Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Motorhome Bargain Deals?

I am writing to ask what do you do when you run across a fair to good deal on a motorhome, when you are not in the market, or when it is not the right one for you?

I ask because there is a motorhome for sale in front of the local electrical co-op a couple of miles from my house, that I have been driving by for the last few days, and today I decided to stop and just take a look. I don't need another motorhome, and even if I did it would not be this one, still it looks like it might make someone a nice unit, assuming it runs, and they can live with the pink / purple and teal exterior, price looks attractive for the age, maybe a little faded, but not bad, $8,500 asking for a '98 Tiffin Allegro 25th anniversary edition, looks to be a 28-29 ft with a pair of twin beds in the back, sign says low miles 30,000 and runs good.

Anyway you get the idea, nothing fantastic, 20 years old, possibly attractive price for the condition, ...

Ike

p.s. Is something going on why people are selling their older Tiffins? There seem to be 4 or 5 class A's for sale within 5-10 miles of here by private sellers (small town in west Louisiana) and they all have some version of the Allegro name on them.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

the only way I'd buy a MH that is not right for me is if I intended to flip it. if that's your plan you'd best have a very good idea of what's wrong, what it will take to make right, what it will cost and what it is likely to bring when repaired. lots of risk.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I am writing to ask what do you do when you run across a fair to good deal on a motorhome, when you are not in the market, or when it is not the right one for you?

I ask because there is a motorhome for sale in front of the local electrical co-op a couple of miles from my house, that I have been driving by for the last few days, and today I decided to stop and just take a look. I don't need another motorhome, and even if I did it would not be this one, still it looks like it might make someone a nice unit, assuming it runs, and they can live with the pink / purple and teal exterior, price looks attractive for the age, maybe a little faded, but not bad, $8,500 asking for a '98 Tiffin Allegro 25th anniversary edition, looks to be a 28-29 ft with a pair of twin beds in the back, sign says low miles 30,000 and runs good.

Anyway you get the idea, nothing fantastic, 20 years old, possibly attractive price for the condition, ...

Ike

p.s. Is something going on why people are selling their older Tiffins? There seem to be 4 or 5 class A's for sale within 5-10 miles of here by private sellers (small town in west Louisiana) and they all have some version of the Allegro name on them.

While I know Tiffins are popular, I think they are more so in the South due to them being built in Red Bay. I see more Tiffins than anything else. Could be why you see more of them for sale than others.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the only way I'd buy a MH that is not right for me is if I intended to flip it. if that's your plan you'd best have a very good idea of what's wrong, what it will take to make right, what it will cost and what it is likely to bring when repaired. lots of risk.

Honestly the idea of buying it and renting it out did cross my mind, but I don't really have time to fool with that right now.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Honestly the idea of buying it and renting it out did cross my mind, but I don't really have time to fool with that right now.
when i said 'flip' i meant buy, fix, sell, not rent. if this is not something you want to do and you don't need or like the MH then why buy it?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
when i said 'flip' i meant buy, fix, sell, not rent. if this is not something you want to do and you don't need or like the MH then why buy it?
I'm not exactly understanding Isaac's question either. I'd avoid it like the plague, unless maybe it was to be my first camper or, if i liked challenges and didn't mind putting money/effort into a project.

I'd say if it's been sitting for a few days, it's probably not a good deal.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Isn't that kinda like buying dog food because it's on sale, when you don't have a dog?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The DW says NO....
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Isn't that kinda like buying dog food because it's on sale, when you don't have a dog?
Now that right there is down right funny, I don't care who you are.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #10

The one reason I can see for such a low price is probably due to having twin beds in the master bedroom. Who were the last owners, Rob and Laura Petrie?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #11

We were/are surprised at the number of new Class B's we have seen that have two twins . . . some Airstreams also ???

Tags
motorhome