Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhome Fire

I saw a motorhome on fire Friday afternoon on I 75 Northern Florida. Anybody know anything about it ? I just got a glimpse of it, it was in the south bound lane.
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Probably one of them residential ice boxes going up in flames. Samsung, Maytag or Whirl Pool, they all can go up in flames. I love my Norcold or as I call it, Norfreeze! Or another cobbled up Amish cooling unit.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Why do you say that residential fridges catch on fire. Are you just being funny??? I have never heard of a residential fridge in mh or stick house catching on fire. There are other reasons for mh fires such as bad wheel bearings, turbo failure, shorted out positive battery cables, faulty alternator, oil or fuel leak.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Probably one of them residential ice boxes going up in flames. Samsung, Maytag or Whirl Pool, they all can go up in flames. I love my Norcold or as I call it, Norfreeze! Or another cobbled up Amish cooling unit.

your kidding, right!
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I'm pretty sure I feel my leg being pulled, just a wee bit At least I hope so...........
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

I guess no one knows anything!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Here is what a refrigerator fire can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2049010165.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	35783  
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

I just googled (fires started by refrigerators) and OMG you can read for days. If it plugs in it can cause a fire. They didn't even mention Norcolds, it was all about residential fires, caused by residential fridges. If they can burn your house down, they can burn your RV down. Trolling, that's what you do on the lake, while drinking beer pretending to catch fish! A lot of people on here are brainwashed on the dreaded RV fridge fires. Don't worry, be happy.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #9

I had a chat with the FIL on this subject, while he's not an RV'er, he is an Electrical Engineer who spent many years on remote mine sites. His first comment was something I, and probably most, would not think of. "Generator, worst invention ever, probably caused more fires than anything else.".

Gensets are notorious for giving you pretty wide (relatively speaking) range of voltage, to be fair though so do most c/g's too. That is the real problem IMHO.

if the load stays the same (resistance) then as voltage drops the current (amps) increases proportionately. That's killer, as current increases, so does the heat!

In my own case, a lightly equipped 24' C with a 4k Onan, I routinely get swings of up to 15 volts (usually only downwards) off the 'rated' 120 volts. Mind you, I get pretty much the same thing off the pedestals in the parks too. I might see a bigger swing, but the Onan shuts itself down when the output drops to 100 volts, even if only for a second.

Industry standards are 3% variance, maybe 5% on the outside are "acceptable". A 15 volt swing is 12.5%, that's 2.5 to 4 times the "acceptable" variance.

That would translate to a big increase in heat on an inductive load like the motor in a fridge with a compressor.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl
Here is what a refrigerator fire can do.
Oh man! That's awful!

The fridge on my 93 Navigator set itself on fire but fortunately I was able to extinguish it be fore too much damage was done.

Is that your Navigator or just a picture you found on the Internet?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I went by there Thursday again, saw where the fire was (MM 294). still haven't been able to find anything. Traffic was back-up for quite miles. It was in the southbound lane and was burning pretty good when I went by Fri. the 22. Guess it wasn't that newsworthy, hope everyone is OK.
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Not my navigator a neighbors in the rv resort I stay in.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome