Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some information on a Bounder fire and mentioning of the welds on heat pipe plus more information on fire extinguishers.
If you never notice before move to the bottom of this page for links to SIMILAR THREADS.

FOAM FIRE EXTINGUISHERS

RV FIRE PROTECTION

Still looking for the weld picture with the hole through the heat pipe.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, I have an appt. on Wednesday, 12/8, to have my Norcold modified, according to the latest recall. I feel better about Lazy Days, as they explained that when they told me I was not in the recall list, it was only a few days later that they got an update from Norcold and that I was now on the list. I asked if they had the parts in stock or would I have to wait for them to order the parts. I was told that they have an ample supply of parts and a "bunch" of RV's waiting to be fixed. So, it looks like I will be "fixed" soon, but I still feel better about installing the fire extinguisher.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Has anyone looked into the Grottos Fire Extinguisher? I know nothing about fire extinguishers but wondered if this might be an alternative.

Thanks,
RJ
RJ,

Don't waste your money on these chemical A-B-C automatic fire extinguishers. Those are the type that came with the coach and I now have them in an outside compartment to use for the BBQ or something else outside.

There is really only a few that will effectively put out a RV refrigerator fire. Those are, Halon, Cold Fire, and AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam).

For the diesel engine, the AFFF works the best.

I have portable Cold Fire extinguishers for the inside of the coach and my car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Gripper
As Jeff said, I think your refer is on the recall. There is an extension letter that extends the recall to all 1200 model units produced from 1/1/2003 until 10/6/2010 and includes S/N's 700000 to 13085759. If you belong to the Monacoers group you can see the whole recall letter in the files area.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Dennis. I now know for sure. As I stated in my reply above (#30), I called Norcold and then made an appt. with my dealer. Hopefully, I will be "good to go" after next Wednesday.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let us know what they do on 2nd recall and if you can get a copy of their TSB its no secret we have the first TSB, now don't we.
Hopefully they check, inspection as in first recall, for any yellow residue around the heating elements, holder welded points.
ONCE a fire starts no switch is going to stop the fire, only kill the power to control board.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #35

Here's some interesting stuff one of the guys on the big board I found (In no particular order):

Norcold's NHTSA notification of a fix

Temp Sense Chronology

Letter from NHTSA to Norcold: Nov 2, 2010

Letter from NHTSA to Norcold: Oct 15, 2010

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Jeff these instruction's for 2nd recall it does not require the fridge to be pulled.
That being said I did not notice any mention of a inspection of area around the welds mention in other letter you posted as was required in the first recall.
If there is no inspection and there is yellow residue in the weld area what good is installing the new heat switch sensor.
Its like playing Russian roulette which will happen first fire or switch operation to stop a fire that has high pressured fuel squirting out of a small hole in heat pipe.
Older coach's have the crumbly insulation canister wrap around that was replaced on 1st recall with a firmer insulation wrap, where fridge had to be pulled.
Only place I see that type firm wrap is at the switch install location.
I do think someone is going to be short changed as one of the letters does mention the change of cooling unit in 1999, for what may I ask, they still have problems with their welds being done by auto welders.
I would feel very uncomfortable with what is going on especially with the newer 1200 series refrigerators.

If a inspection was done for 2nd recall and yellow was found the cooling coils would have to be done before any switch was installed and frankly I would not take a " Norcold replacement".
I haven't contacted any other MFG's for cooling coils maybe that will be the next step would like their feed back on this whole situation.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Recall information from other MFG

Check this thread on Newmar forum.

Notice they build their cooling units differently especially around the electric element holder that has the stress cracks on Norcold and Dometic refrigerators.

The Amish built cooling units do not need this recall kit added to them. The Amish remove the area of concern replacing the weak area with thick wall tubing, preventing the flexing of tubing which develops a stress crack with loss of ammonia
Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
The only new Norcold cooling unit I would ever consider installing would be an Amish built one that can be purchased from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse at this web site.

http://rvcoolingunit.com/Default.aspx

However, if and when that time comes, I will also definitely look at installing a new Samsung residential unit. The only downside to that is losing some storage space which is presently below my Norold four door.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats all well and good for DP owners but a gas owner is not going to have the room for new battery bank, larger inverter and consider the added CCC.
If I own a DP your solution would be the better one.
Post this link on other thread for Norcold owners solution makes sense since I have never had a problem with my Nocold.
Read link all the way through.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dometic recall of 1997 thru 2003 refrigerators

Just to keep everyone happy I post this in a thread in Newmar forum.

Anyone with a Dometic TWO DOOR refrigerator can have the same problem, cracked burner tubes.
These are all MFG's that have a Dometic fridge.
This is a different recall where most of us had a shield placed over the gas burner this is the same type recall as Norcolds 2nd recall.
You might say this is old well we have some people that never had recall done, how about you is it done.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";744507][B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/norcold-fire-77920-3.html#post744503
Check this thread[/URL][/B] on Newmar forum.

Notice they build their cooling units differently especially around the electric element holder that has the stress cracks on Norcold and Dometic refrigerators.

The Amish built cooling units do not need this recall kit added to them. The Amish remove the area of concern replacing the weak area with thick wall tubing, preventing the flexing of tubing which develops a stress crack with loss of ammonia
So is that a solid metal casing around the chimney (looks like SS)? Is there additional wrapping around this, or is it internal?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd say its a double pipe casing so there is no flexing of heat pipe to cause the cracks.
If someone that has a unit that was changed to AMISH cooling unit maybe they can explain or a direct call to RV Warehouse.
With all the back orders trying to fill orders they must have a good unit and cost wise I would pay what ever extra to have peace of mind.