Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #1

Move around or stay seated

It was brought up in another thread how many people move around inside their motorhome when in motion. What say you?Move around or stay seated?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #2

I stay seated. I drive this bus.
Just about everyone I know, kin, friends, guests, adults & any child past toddler hood move to some degree. Children are monitored and assisted by older relatives.
Thus it was with my Parents , so it is with me.
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Walker View Post
It was brought up in another thread how many people move around inside their motorhome when in motion. What say you?Move around or stay seated?
When Rita was alive she would fetch a beer for me when I was driving.

Shortly before she died I researched safety of MH with children. I came to the conclusion that being restrained was very important for surviving accidents.

Duh!!!

We took our granddaughter to Zion NP and had a great time. Two weeks later Rita died suddenly.

Later that summer, a grandfather and grandson died when the MH rolled after blowing a steer tire. They were not restrained.

So no Rita did not unbuckle to get me a beer but she might for a short period of time for some other reason.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:53 AM   #4

I do the driving, so I don't get out of the seat unless we've stopped. My DW only gets out of her seat if it is very important. Anytime a person is up and about in a moving vehicle, they risk the chance of becoming airborne. If I had children aboard, they would be required to stay seated and use their seatbelt.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I do the driving, so I don't get out of the seat unless we've stopped. My DW only gets out of her seat if it is very important. Anytime a person is up and about in a moving vehicle, they risk the chance of becoming airborne. If I had children aboard, they would be required to stay seated and use their seatbelt.
This is exactly my procedure as well. Proven so many times when I was working.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:23 AM   #6

I drive so getting up isn’t allowed. My wife and kids move around the whole time. We cycle people in and out of the passengers seat. Typically, the kids like to ride in the bedroom. They watch tv or use their devices. The wife and dog take turns in the co pilot chair. Occasionally one of the kids will take shotgun, but everyone is free to move about the cabin.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:22 AM   #7

Have a front tire blow out and see if it changes your out look on wearing seat belts.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #8

Passenger gets up for bathroom break or to get snacks or drinks whenever they want provided we are not in heavy traffic or taking ramps or turns. After getting up it’s back to the seat with belt on, so time spent up is minimal.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #9

I didn't have a choice, the DW would get up for drinks or snacks for both of us plus the bathroom for her. However, only on the open road in light traffic. If in city traffic or winding hilly roads, everyone stayed under a seat belt.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #10

The answer is easy. In the event of an accident or if drastic movement is required to avoid an accident while traveling in any type of moving vehicle, any thing that is not firmly secured to the vehicle, including people, becomes a flying projectile. And the heavier the person or supplies or equipment will cause the most damage or injury involved.

That means the proper storage of anything inside the vehicle is important and even more important in large vehicles that can carry and store a lot of products and people. If it is necessary for people to move around it should be done in a safe manner, as quickly as possible when the vehicle is traveling on the straightest and flattest surface possible. In other words not on curves or undulating conditions. Road conditions are also a factor.

It is common sense to remain seated and belted in as much as possible with very few exceptions when necessary. Stay safe, Stay well.

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DB
2000 Ford Explorer toad
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #11

Guess it depends on one's risk tolerance for being injured or dieing.

We try to stop every couple hours for a bathroom break and to stretch our legs. This absolutely minimizes any time anyone is not in their seat belted in.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The whole reason for the motor home was to avoid frequent pit stops, that said buckled up otherwise.
L2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:54 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and then there was one driver said wife in back, he had to hit brake hard and she almost went thru windshield before she stopped with some arm/ should er injury; convinced them both, it seemed...
Old 09-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We limit our movement. When seated we stay belted in.
We do not move around in heavy traffic, bad weather, or anytime we expect to be hitting the brakes or making a sharp turn.

We don’t mind going to the bathroom, stretching our legs, grabbing a snack, etc…. We try to always have one hand making contact with something solid in the motorhome.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seat