Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Exclamation My coach locks itself randomly?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Our 2014 Via locks itself. First time keys were in the ignition, off. It has happened when keys are just in the cabin and when weíre outside? We donít dare step out, without the second set or at least the fob. Any ideas? Thanks much. Rob
Barnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #2

How long after you use the fob to unlock does it lock?

I can't recall if my 2013 Sprinter had this feature (I think it did) but my 2020 has a setting to auto lock the doors 30 seconds or so after I open with the fob if either one of the cockpit doors don't get opened. So if I enter through the coach door, or I'm working on something outside the coach it will lock.

It was disconcerting at first, but now that I understand how it works I appreciate the feature. On my coach it can be turned off in the settings.

If you don't have that feature you might try changing the key fob battery.

Good luck.
SilverPlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnkeeper View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Our 2014 Via locks itself. First time keys were in the ignition, off. It has happened when keys are just in the cabin and when we’re outside? We don’t dare step out, without the second set or at least the fob. Any ideas? Thanks much. Rob
That's probably going to be something on the Mercedes Sprinter part of the coach. Make sure the momentary lock/unlock switch on the dash console panel is not hanging up or there is nothing laying against it. Could also be a wire abraded and shorting. I believe it's all controlled by a central security module.

edit: Silver Plum posted while I was typing, interesting feature, mine is a 2010 chassis and I don't believe I have that feature but I'm now going to check. It sounds like if you are exiting the house door without opening a cab door they are autolocking.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks SilverPlum & Brian, I’m going to check this out. I’m hoping this will be the answer to the oddity. BTW, have either of you ever installed Sumo springs on you unit? I was told by a friend that they really control sway well. Thanks again :-} ��
Old 11-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

I installed Sumo's on my 2016 Spinter based RV and they made a big difference on the rocking motion, especially when exiting driveways. The rear ones are extremely easy to install. It took me about 10 minutes total to do both. There are good videos online that show the install. The front ones are a little more involved, but not extremely difficult. I did have remove the front wheel to access the strut. Looking back, I should have gone with the heavy duty Sumo's on the rear.
Paul_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hide a key somewhere on the chassis
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #7

My 2007 Itasca Ellipse had th e habit of locking itself. I never leave the motorhome without my key and keep on in the TOAD 100% of the time.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks SilverPlum & Brian, I’m going to check this out. I’m hoping this will be the answer to the oddity. BTW, have either of you ever installed Sumo springs on you unit? I was told by a friend that they really control sway well. Thanks again :-} ��
I researched all the suspension upgrades then didn't do anything. I don't have any issues with wind or semis pushing me but the one issue is the rocking back and forth in certain driveways which for now I am just controlling by going very slow. I heard some folks say the Sumo Springs gave them a hard ride. Also the Helwig HD sway bar stops the rocking but makes washboard roads harder to traverse. It seems every suspension upgrade is a trade off. At this point my plan is to first try the Agile Off Road 2.5 Fox Tuned Shocks since I'll need new shocks soon anyway. If those don't solve the rocking I may try the Sumos afterwards but I am leery of them stiffening the ride. I'd rather put up with the rocking than eliminate it at the cost of a stiffer ride. Our rig rides pretty rough to begin with when the road gets rough.
Paul D why do you say you should have used the HD version? If the regular ones solved the problem aren't you afraid the HD ones will stiffen the ride?
Old 11-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #9

Good Point. I didn't think about a harder ride. The reason I said to go with the heavier SUMOs is the regular one reduced the rocking, but it's still rocks a bit.
Paul_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks SilverPlum & Brian, Iím going to check this out. Iím hoping this will be the answer to the oddity. BTW, have either of you ever installed Sumo springs on you unit? I was told by a friend that they really control sway well. Thanks again :-} ��
For the cost and ease of installation Sumo Springs are well worth it. I've only installed the rears on both the Sprinter based RV's and they significantly reduce slow speed roll or bounce when entering and exiting gas stations, parking lots and freeway off ramps.
SilverPlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlum View Post
How long after you use the fob to unlock does it lock?

I can't recall if my 2013 Sprinter had this feature (I think it did) but my 2020 has a setting to auto lock the doors 30 seconds or so after I open with the fob if either one of the cockpit doors don't get opened. So if I enter through the coach door, or I'm working on something outside the coach it will lock.

It was disconcerting at first, but now that I understand how it works I appreciate the feature. On my coach it can be turned off in the settings.

If you don't have that feature you might try changing the key fob battery.

Good luck.
I experienced the exact same situation as SilverPlum, on my 2007 WBO View. The coach door electric lock was tied to the RH cab door but it had no door open sensing for the coach door. The older Sprinters used a regular key, actually a key from a '70's Mercedes sedan, so I had brass blanks cut and hid them on the outside, You could not drive with them, but you could unlock the door.

Yes, I realize the Via is the cut down Sprinter cab without doors, so the systems may act real weird on it. Spend the money to get a key cut and hid on the outside of the coach.

Charles
Old 11-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Good suggestion, thank you. Rob
Old 11-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding coach locking itself, I had that happen twice but it was not the coach's fault.
Typically the little lever to lock the door is just beneath the handle of the door and my fat fingers have accidentally pushed it down twice. Fortunately DW was in the MH at the time but it was embarrassing.

In my previous coach I had a realtor's lock and I stored spare keys in it, in the propane compartment.

Hmm! My TOAD has fob access and also electronic push buttons on the outside of the door. Now, I put the spare keys in the glove box. I can always get into the TOAD to retrieve them. In the meantime, DW and I use the FOB only.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have said, check all of the user settings. Also have a key made, no need for a key fob, and place it in a keysafe on the outside of the MH someplace. This way if you do get locked out you can open the door to get in. The trick is to replace the key back on the outside of the MH after you use it.
The other thing I would always do the key fob in your pocket. It only leaves my pocket when I place it on the Key hook at the main door of the MH when I come in that way.