Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to kirkcrawford
my de-treaded & stuck tire

On the way home from Big Bear today we had the right rear inside tire de-tread on my 2000 bounder 32H. Here is the tire

De-treaded by Mozul, on Flickr

We called Coach Net and they sent out a tire guy. He was unable to remove the wheel from the coach. He says it is rusted on. We are now spending the night until the shop opens to see if they can remove it. What an adventure!

Here is one way they tried to remove the wheel

Trying to pull wheel by Mozul, on Flickr
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #2

Well! if the lug nuts are free,have them try to put them back on. Not tight and put the thing in gear(not jacked up) accelerate in forward stop, reverse stop a few time to see if the rims will brake free from the axle.
Works some times.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Put lug nuts back on loosely, put weight on the tire and move unit for half to full tire rotation. It will be loose then for removal.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #4

So what are the DOT dates on those tires? Also, on my previous MH the lug nuts on the drivers side had reverse threads. Have you checked that these are also not reverse threads???????
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

The lug nuts loose and roll back and forth idea did not work.

Now they are trying to fashion a puller with a jack and some chains. We are at the road service shop this morning.

The lug nuts come off just fine. The wheels are stuck to the axles due to rust.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

DOT date is
A10R DOT MJ93 PMAW299
They are Goodyear Unisteel G159
Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Sorry, just misunderstood. With it jacked up on that side and lug nuts on loose and all the wheels chocked put it in drive until it rotates then slam on the brakes. Now do it in reverse then forwards. Done this before and it works.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My hubby who drove semi logghauler. Said this is what he did when the tires were rusted on. First off do you have the outside dual off? If so spay the center with WD40 or a good penatrating oil. Let sit for a while then go under coach and with a slug hammer hit the rim at 3 oclock 9 oclock or 6 and 12 oclock back and forth until the rim and tire come loss from the hub.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkcrawford View Post
DOT date is
A10R DOT MJ93 PMAW299
They are Goodyear Unisteel G159
That may be a code stamped on the tire, but that's not the DOT date - the DOT date code should be a 4-digit number stamped (or molded) into an elongated oval shaped area. There will be no letters in it - just numbers. If the tire was built before the year 2000 then it might be a 3-digit number instead of a 4-digit number.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

I have never seen, or heard of a tire/rim that could not be removed with a good sludge hammer. Provided, of course that the tire person was an experienced truck tire mechanic who was not afraid to swing the hammer very hard and judicially.

An Old Timer makes it look easy.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If they are hub piloted, your problems is between the center of the rim an the axle hub. They should try a little heat in those areas, to break the bond. Then hit the outside rim with a sledge hammer all around the outside of the rim.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If that's the date code, those tires are 12 years old. how many miles on your rig?
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Put lug nuts back on loosely, put weight on the tire and move unit for half to full tire rotation. It will be loose then for removal.
I have used that with cars that gave me trouble N-1 times (that is it failed one time) Works well.. Usually.. I've even had Troopers (State police) succeed with it. Had one where I had to have it towed in and heat applied to the rim.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #14

It turns out the tires were from 1999. The tire guy at the shop confirmed it. They must be the original tires since the coach is a 2000 model. There are 60,000 miles on them. I doubt they were ever rotated or removed. They finally did get the wheel removed. During the time I had to reverse the RV and apply the brakes hard. (they put the lug nuts on loosely) They then had a puller setup with chains through the wheel holes and a bottle jack on the axle.

They put on my full-size brand new, never used, 12 year old spare and I drove home. I think I am in the market for new tires. Anyone have recommendations for 245/70 R19.5 tires on a F53 Chassis?

Best Regards,

Kirk