RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 19
My update on tires, loads, and pressures.

Just logged 2k miles to NC and back.
Purchased EEZ tpms: seems OK, I gave it 3 stars (sensor reception mostly)
Inflated tires to 90psi front, 95psi rear, (Thinking I am heavily loaded with stuff.
Hit the scales:
Steer axle: 6500 rec. 6220 actual
Drive axle: 11000 rec. 10380 actual
GVWR: 16000 rec. 16600 actual (A little heavy, but fully loaded.)
Loaded tow dolly axle: 3400
GCWR: 23000 rec. 20680 actual.

Tire temps mostly below 100 deg.
Tire pressures went up 10-12 psi each rolling on highway speeds.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 9,839
What size tires?
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 22,871
And what are the coach builders recommended tire pressures, front & rear?



Without tire size, there isn't much to comment on. Your arbitrarily determined tire pressures may be low, high or perfect, but we have no way to suggest one way or the other. Temps & pressure rise suggest they are ok, but maybe conditions were ideal and nothing would have happened anyway.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 19
Goodyear 245 70R 19.5
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 19
Goodyear 245 R70 19.5
Recommended 82psi cold for 16000gvwr all tires, I am loaded a little heavy at 16.6k.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
Just logged 2k miles to NC and back.
Purchased EEZ tpms: seems OK, I gave it 3 stars (sensor reception mostly)
Inflated tires to 90psi front, 95psi rear, (Thinking I am heavily loaded with stuff.
Hit the scales:
Steer axle: 6500 rec. 6220 actual
Drive axle: 11000 rec. 10380 actual
GVWR: 16000 rec. 16600 actual (A little heavy, but fully loaded.)
Loaded tow dolly axle: 3400
GCWR: 23000 rec. 20680 actual.

Tire temps mostly below 100 deg.
Tire pressures went up 10-12 psi each rolling on highway speeds.
It's interesting to me that in your weight ratings above, your GVWR is 1500 lbs. less that the combination of the two individual GAWR ratings. There is always some pull back from that combination on any spec sheet, but the 1500 lbs. number is a big one. I’ve attached what I have showing the 2017 F53 chassis specs, and as is typical with these spec listings, it’s the leaf spring deflection rates that determine these chassis weight rating differences, as all other components between the 16K and 18K chassis are the same. One exception to that is the note on Page 7 about the front track bar being an option on the 16K chassis, vs standard on the 18K chassis. The only reason I bring this up is while you acknowledge you were a “little heavy”, 600 lbs. is 600 lbs. Knowing what makes these capabilities different between the 16K and 18K chassis is important. It might be an easy and cost-effective mod to either increase the ratings of the leaf springs, or possibly add helper springs to better handle that weight overage if you are going to be traveling that way. You know the capability is already incorporated into the rest of the chassis components. Just a thought.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017_F53_F59_Specifications.pdf (330.7 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2010 Pontiac G6
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
How to calculate proper tire air pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
Just logged 2k miles to NC and back.
Purchased EEZ tpms: seems OK, I gave it 3 stars (sensor reception mostly)
For your TPMS a booster will solve this problem. We have the same TPMS and have have zero problems and we tow 4 down.

As far as tire pressure goes it's science not a guessing game. I found an excellent video on YT. It explains in detail how to calculate proper air pressure.

__________________
Couple FTing for 4yrs.
35' Gas Winnie,
Escapees, Maintenance Freak
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 19
That is a lot of information. I have the 28'9" ACE, probably the shortest wheelbase.
Thanks
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
That is a lot of information. I have the 28'9" ACE, probably the shortest wheelbase.
Thanks
Based on your MH length comment in your earlier post, I looked on the Thor website and saw you had the 178" wheelbase.
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2010 Pontiac G6
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 19
Thanks for the video.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
That is a lot of information. I have the 28'9" ACE, probably the shortest wheelbase.
Thanks
I have the same TPMS on a 43' coach, and have no issues losing signal.

You may have a new system, but the batteries may have been sitting around for years.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Meshoppen, PA
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
It's interesting to me that in your weight ratings above, your GVWR is 1500 lbs. less that the combination of the two individual GAWR ratings. There is always some pull back from that combination on any spec sheet, but the 1500 lbs. number is a big one. I’ve attached what I have showing the 2017 F53 chassis specs, and as is typical with these spec listings, it’s the leaf spring deflection rates that determine these chassis weight rating differences, as all other components between the 16K and 18K chassis are the same. One exception to that is the note on Page 7 about the front track bar being an option on the 16K chassis, vs standard on the 18K chassis. The only reason I bring this up is while you acknowledge you were a “little heavy”, 600 lbs. is 600 lbs. Knowing what makes these capabilities different between the 16K and 18K chassis is important. It might be an easy and cost-effective mod to either increase the ratings of the leaf springs, or possibly add helper springs to better handle that weight overage if you are going to be traveling that way. You know the capability is already incorporated into the rest of the chassis components. Just a thought.
an observation
many times the RV Manufacturer will rate the vehicle different than the chassis manufacture.. the std chassis by ford etc may be ordered to a spec or modded by Rv.
My winnebago tag is 1000 lbs more that the ford white tag ..
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
an observation
many times the RV Manufacturer will rate the vehicle different than the chassis manufacture.. the std chassis by ford etc may be ordered to a spec or modded by Rv.
My winnebago tag is 1000 lbs more that the ford white tag ..
The point of what I was conveying is that the main chassis components (axles, wheels, brakes, etc.) of his rig are capable of much more weight carrying than what the final certified weight is. That delta in capability vs certification is leaf spring attributed. And he's running 600 lbs. heavy with these leaf springs being the weak link. Knowing all else is more than capable, I'd look at what he could do to deal with the leaf springs. Or pare his running weight down.
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2010 Pontiac G6
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
For your TPMS a booster will solve this problem. We have the same TPMS and have have zero problems and we tow 4 down.

As far as tire pressure goes it's science not a guessing game. I found an excellent video on YT. It explains in detail how to calculate proper air pressure.

I watched the video... until he started fudging the numbers. "The chart tells me 70 PSI, but I'll go to the next chart, just because, and then because I don't like the answer there, I'll add 5 to 10%, so then I'll put 80 PSI in the tires."
__________________
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 35'. 3 200 Amp Lithium batteries and 2000 watt Pure wave inverter/charger.
2013 Elantra on a Master Tow dolly.
HarryStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding max loads and effects of overloading a 31' 5th wheel surfergirl 5th Wheel Discussion 2 11-17-2017 04:49 PM
Math Problem: Calculating Loads and Limits BobG12 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 06-25-2016 08:53 AM
Bounder: First Real Trip - 2015 Bounder Classic - Loads of Fun and Two Questions BernieCheryl Fleetwood Owner's Forum 13 06-05-2016 10:40 PM
Low voltage and resistive loads Johnontheroad Monaco Owner's Forum 16 08-05-2014 11:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.