RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mystery Generator Start-up

We were camping with our son and his family at an RV Park which had full h/ups. We were all sitting outside next to our Journey and my wife and I had to make a run to the store.

When we returned, my son's friend asked us "Do you have Auto-Start on your generator?" I said, no, why? While we were gone, the Onan 7500 generator started up by itself; so my son went in and turned it off knowing we were hooked up to 50A.

I went in to check, started it up with the dash switch, ran it, shut it down, and no issues. Going back out by the fire, my son said when it started there was a cat that jumped down in front, kind of looked stunned, then beat feet. I didn't give it much thought, but later I looked in on the genny and it was dusty and such especially with all the fire ash we have had blowing around in NorCal lately. I did notice, the start switch had a clean spot on the "on-start" position and around it.

So, I deducted that the cat had crawled up there and had settled with a paw on the start switch long enough to hold it down to prime it and then it fired up and he bolted when it started up. We've never had that happen before.

Before I figured that out, I just knew I was in for some serious electrical trouble shooting efforts to determine why it would start by itself which it never has done in the 10 yrs we've owned it.

Every trip is an adventure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Awesome trouble shooting. But you never would have found it if your son had not told you about the cat running scarred.
You an tell its gonna be a FULL MOON shortly, this has been one hell of a year.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have also read that the generator could start if moisture gets into the wiring harness. On the passenger side (at least on my rig) there is a wiring harness, you can pull it apart and check for any signs of moisture, use electric clean to dry it out. Could also use some dielectric grease.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

I had my 7500 crank up in the barn it ran all night and part of the next day before I realized that it was the noise I was hearing. My brother came home to find his 7500 running one time as well. So it can happen I'm just not convinced a cat could or would stay on the switch long enough to start it.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have had the same thing happen with our QD7500 Onan. I took the wiring harness apart and used electronic cleaner spray and dielectric grease to service what I thought was the problem. It has been about 2-years since that first and only phantom start.
I would have to doubt that a cat could depress and hold the start switch for sufficient time for the generator to crank. The cat would probably get spooked as soon as the engine started to turn over. Also, would a cat that say weighs about 10-lbs, give or take, be able to exert enough force on a toggle switch like on the generator? The cat is 4-wheel drive so that makes each drive about 2.5-lbs. Pretty sneaky cat to start and scoot.

Glad it has not happened since that last time.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You missed your calling! You should be a detective!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

We bought a brand new Jayco Prestige with AGM. We left it off since we didn't need it. When we would pick it up from our storage it seemed like the fuel tank was lower that I remember. The next time I parked it, I filled it up completely. Two weeks later, it was down to a quarter tank.

Convinced that someone was stealing fuel, I stopped by the managers office. While I was talking to the manager, a contractor who had been installing new doors for several weeks overheard our conversation. He said that the generator on our coach was running a lot. I double checked the AGS controls and all were off.

Took it to the dealer who had their electrical guru check it out. He determined that the controller was bad. Jayco replaced it, and no other issues since. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get Jayco to reimburse me for lost fuel, but they denied it. Said to take my cause to Onan.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I have also read that the generator could start if moisture gets into the wiring harness. On the passenger side (at least on my rig) there is a wiring harness, you can pull it apart and check for any signs of moisture, use electric clean to dry it out. Could also use some dielectric grease.
That is the purpose of WD40. dry out electrical wiring, then it dries to a waxy film to insulate from cross-firing. However, it is flammable when wet/right out of the can.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

Had the exact same thing happen to me. I was sitting in the coach reading a book and the generator suddenly starts. I have auto start but it's turned off. My mind is racing thinking major electrical issue and I see our rather stunned cat jump off the dash right where the gen start switch is located.
Major electrical problem solved.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator