Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #15

I got mine this spring when I got serious about getting a bigger RV. I didn't need it for my gas coach as it was under 26k lbs. I got my information and did my written test and road test at the Monroe office. Each time (really.. each time) i made contact with any of the staff there I was told I didn't need it, and each time I told them to ask their supervisor, who did know the law. They all thought I wanted "the fire truck license" thinking I was a volunteer fire fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
Interesting enough, if you ask several highway patrol officers, none think you are required to have a class B license.
So wingtrike, your comment doesn't surprise me at all if the DMV team responsible doesn't know. But to be fair, look at their normal clientele..and all the truckers that have to have their CDL. And I have a nephew that is a LEO and I know that RVers are the least of his worries.

By the way wingtrike..I had a '08 Goldwing that I sold to a guy that was going to do a trike conversion on it. Haven't heard from him to know if it actually worked out or not.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #16

I had a full blown CDL "A" for years, but I knew I wasn't ever going to drive an 18 wheeler again in anything short of a full blown emergency so I trotted down to my local Texas DMV office and told them my situation. I told them that I was looking at RV's and wanted to be legal but without all the expense of a CDL. Lady at the desk just handed me a piece of paper to sign and I went from a CDL "A" to a Non CDL "A" just like that. I asked about a road test and she said "if you can push a semi-tractor with a 53' trailer up and down the road I can't see where another test would be necessary". I was in and out in about 30 minutes......they did check my vision again though! (...and I still have my motorcycle endorsement too.)

BTW - In Texas it was a requirement that one be able to parallel park a tractor trailer. If you hit the curb or backed over the cone you failed! I got it on the first try.....Lady Luck was riding with me that day!
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote