Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Need advise regarding Wingard warranty.

We had a Winegard Traveler installed mid November. Have absolutely loved it and in many ways one of the best things I have bought. However, yesterday it failed to fully stow as we were ready to travel. Got a EL Motor Failure display.

After contacting the installer and re-calibrating the dish, it went into a stowed position and we made the drive to our new location. Once there, we hit the power button to deploy the dish and after about 20 seconds of the most unusual sounds emanating from the roof, the display read EL Motor Stalled and the dish is in a very peculiar position and I dare not mess with it.

Has anyone suffered a premature failure of their Traveler and anyone want to guess as to how long a replacement might take. We know its fully under both labor and part warranty, but Winegard was closed for Good Friday and we will have to be calling them first thing Monday morning.

Seems to be pretty unusual for the unit to fail but I fear it is something more than just a calibration issue. Here's hoping for a satisfactory resolution.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I also installed a Traveler last year. It has worked well so far. I hope you get the problems with yours resolved quickly. Winegard has always had good customer service.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We had a Winegard Traveler installed mid November. Have absolutely loved it and in many ways one of the best things I have bought. However, yesterday it failed to fully stow as we were ready to travel. Got a EL Motor Failure display.

After contacting the installer and re-calibrating the dish, it went into a stowed position and we made the drive to our new location. Once there, we hit the power button to deploy the dish and after about 20 seconds of the most unusual sounds emanating from the roof, the display read EL Motor Stalled and the dish is in a very peculiar position and I dare not mess with it.

Has anyone suffered a premature failure of their Traveler and anyone want to guess as to how long a replacement might take. We know its fully under both labor and part warranty, but Winegard was closed for Good Friday and we will have to be calling them first thing Monday morning.

Seems to be pretty unusual for the unit to fail but I fear it is something more than just a calibration issue. Here's hoping for a satisfactory resolution.

I had one fail after only a few months. Wingard sent me a whole new dish and I installed it myself. The only hard part is getting it on the roof, pretty heavy. I had to send the old dish back to them, or they would have charged me for the new dish. The new dish has worked well for about four years.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

I'd like to just provide an update after contacting Winegard this morning regarding my recently purchased Traveler. After getting a tech support person name Betty and explaining what was happening a new motor is on its way under warranty. It should be here in about 5 days when a friend and I should install it, pack up the defective one and send back, via a prepaid return mailer, to Winegard in Burlington Iowa.

I did have to provide a credit card for the $600 value of the new motor in case I failed to return the original unit. All in all, very satisfied with the response from Winegard and their promptness. I just have to have the thing working in order to watch the NFL draft.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
I'd like to just provide an update after contacting Winegard this morning regarding my recently purchased Traveler. After getting a tech support person name Betty and explaining what was happening a new motor is on its way under warranty. It should be here in about 5 days when a friend and I should install it, pack up the defective one and send back, via a prepaid return mailer, to Winegard in Burlington Iowa.

I did have to provide a credit card for the $600 value of the new motor in case I failed to return the original unit. All in all, very satisfied with the response from Winegard and their promptness. I just have to have the thing working in order to watch the NFL draft.

That is the same thing that Winegard did for me. As I said in my previous post, the motor is heavy. Luckily for me, the park owner had a front loader that could reach to the roof of my RV. Not sure how I would have gotten it up there without the front loader, but I would have figured out something. The install itself is pretty easy. Good luck. Please come back and let us know how it goes.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

If you think about it and have the time, please take pictures as you install the new motor. I am curious what this would involve.

Thanks

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #7

I'm a little disappointed the motor replacement isn't on it's way yet. Provided all the documentation needed last Monday and was under the impression the motor would be on its way immediately.

I emailed Betty early Friday AM but did not hear back. She either took the day off or just didn't want to respond. At this point I'm going to be out about 2 weeks before this thing is ready to install.

I'm only at current RV park until next Sunday and have reservations out several months.

Tags
warranty