Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Need Assistance with Connecting BatteryMinder

I have a BatteryMinder model 12248 that can maintain up to six 12 volt batteries. I have two 12V chassis batteries and six 6-volts. The six volt batteries are connected such that they make three 12-volt batteries. The BatteryMinder instructions state to connect the batteries as shown in the following diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BatMinder.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	33237

My question is how do I connect my chassis batteries to the house batteries for my BatteryMinder? My second question is can I leave these connectors on when I’m not using the BatteryMinder?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

I am not sure about the 'house' batteries as I let the inverter take care of them. I do have my Battery Tender connected to the chassis batteries like you show. Since I just use the clips, I removed them when we are traveling.
Hope that this helps.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh;1457755

[ATTACH
33237[/ATTACH]

My question is how do I connect my chassis batteries to the house batteries for my BatteryMinder? My second question is can I leave these connectors on when I’m not using the BatteryMinder?

For charging purposes it may pay to remember that starting, and house (deep cycle) battery's are not only different in application, manufacture, and use , but have different charging levels and time periods.

If you connect them together for any significant time period, both sets of battery's would be compromised as to longevity, and reliability.

There's a reason that the switch, on some rigs, that connects the house battery's to the start battery's (to spin the starter faster really) is a momentary switch which makes sure that the connection is short timed!

Two to those BatteryMinders would be in order here IMHO.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

We also have the 8 amp units, and they state they can do multiple parallel batteries, but they do not care much for a pair of 8 D, so do not try what you are thinking.

Place one unit on each Battery set.

You still may need to reset often until it is happy

We added an additional HF unit that floats the coach batteries to conpensate for parasitic loads, it allows the charge to be close enough for the minder to complete its cycle and be happy
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
For charging purposes it may pay to remember that starting, and house (deep cycle) battery's are not only different in application, manufacture, and use , but have different charging levels and time periods.

If you connect them together for any significant time period, both sets of battery's would be compromised as to longevity, and reliability.

There's a reason that the switch, on some rigs, that connects the house battery's to the start battery's (to spin the starter faster really) is a momentary switch which makes sure that the connection is short timed!

Two to those BatteryMinders would be in order here IMHO.

Ed
I have seen some posts on other forums where people have connected the chassis and the coach batteries sing the BatteryMinder, but I want to make sure. What you are saying makes good sense. Thank you kindly!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We also have the 8 amp units, and they state they can do multiple parallel batteries, but they do not care much for a pair of 8 D, so do not try what you are thinking.

Place one unit on each Battery set.

You still may need to reset often until it is happy

We added an additional HF unit that floats the coach batteries to conpensate for parasitic loads, it allows the charge to be close enough for the minder to complete its cycle and be happy
What you and Ed are saying make perfect sense. Thank you or your suggestions.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

I charge my house and starting batteries separately. During the winter months I keep the BatterMinder on the house batteries with the battery disconnect switch to the "off" position. Once a month (for a couple of days) I switch it to the starting (engine) battery, that disconnect is also kept in the off position. With the once a month switch I also check the water levels and top off when needed.

I purchased a additionnel Ring Terminal Harness, this way I can switch easily.

Two full seasons and no issues to report.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ed,
With a 2007 Allegro don't you have a built in converter/charger that will take care of one set of batteries? I have the same Battery Mider that you have and i think I read where you should not charge dissimilar voltage batteries.

My coach is a different manufacturer and it only has a 600W converter charger. I have electricity at my storage site. Originally when it was plugged in I would turn off the disconnects for both service and house systems. Within a few weeks when I started the engine the service battery would show 11.2 or so volts. I called the manufacturer and I was advised that I should leave both service and house battery disconnects in the on position if I wanted to charge the system, and to turn the step off as the step motor had a constant current on it. I can leave my coace for 3 months, and when I start it now it shows 12.8V. Just some food for thought, call the MFG.

You may want to give the Battery Minder people a call for reall clarification.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

That is a good idea, Gene! I went ahead and ordered a 2012 model also. That way I will have the house batteries on one with the main switch turned off and the two chassis batteries on the 2012.
Regards,
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post

Ed
This is NOT a concern. When you are driving down the road, your house and chassis batteries are connected together for several hours a day, and charged by the engine alternator.

If you have a coach which uses any version of the Intellitec or RV Custom Products Battery Control Center (BCC), the two banks are always connected together when shore power is present unless one of the Disconnect switches is turned OFF.

My house and chassis batteries have been connected together (either driving or parked with shore power connected) for over fifteen years, and my batteries generally last 7 to 6 years. Where's the problem.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have 3 options.

Easiest, Locate the battery isolator solenoid and use a simple jumper (need not be heavy duty) across the two largest terminals on it.

Middle: Run a standard automotive jumper cable from the POSITIVE on one set of batteries to the POSITIVE on the other (Frame handles the other side)

Best: 2nd battery minder, this one smaller.

Those 3 pair of six volt are the equal of six (or more) 12 volt by the way so that's the size battery minder you have.
(That is based on the size of 12 volt battery they are talking about when they say "up to six" I've used much bigger 12 volt batteries).
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You have 3 options.

Easiest, Locate the battery isolator solenoid and use a simple jumper (need not be heavy duty) across the two largest terminals on it.

Middle: Run a standard automotive jumper cable from the POSITIVE on one set of batteries to the POSITIVE on the other (Frame handles the other side)

Best: 2nd battery minder, this one smaller.

Those 3 pair of six volt are the equal of six (or more) 12 volt by the way so that's the size battery minder you have.
(That is based on the size of 12 volt battery they are talking about when they say "up to six" I've used much bigger 12 volt batteries).
Thanks, that is helpful. I have 3 pairs of six volts, and just put the Battery Minder Clips on the Positive an Negative main lines that go out of the coach batteries. I used a volt meter to check the main line and also each 6-v. pair and see they are charging. For this, I didn't make any other wiring connections.