Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
YC1

Good luck walking into any stores that sell capacitors in my neck of the woods. I wish there was an electronic supply house/store.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:48 PM   #16

The unit that burned out was the 312 (back unit, 12BTU). The part numbers, and their ratings, were not from the capacitors that were on the RV. Those ratings came from the part numbers that I found from a part list for those models. Interestingly, I had emailed Dometic and they provided a different capacitor part number for the 315 of 3313107.028 20+10uF, but also a 2nd run capacitor. For the 312, I got a new part number too. It's kinda hard to tell what the specs are supposed to be when these multiple part numbers have different specs.

I might try to find a local HVAC store to pick up the parts. But I'd like to have a good feeling of what I'm supposed to be getting before heading there.

Oh, and neither of these units have a heat pump.
Eilatan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilatan99 View Post
The unit that burned out was the 312 (back unit, 12BTU). The part numbers, and their ratings, were not from the capacitors that were on the RV. Those ratings came from the part numbers that I found from a part list for those models. Interestingly, I had emailed Dometic and they provided a different capacitor part number for the 315 of 3313107.028 20+10uF, but also a 2nd run capacitor. For the 312, I got a new part number too. It's kinda hard to tell what the specs are supposed to be when these multiple part numbers have different specs.

I might try to find a local HVAC store to pick up the parts. But I'd like to have a good feeling of what I'm supposed to be getting before heading there.

Oh, and neither of these units have a heat pump.
The specific part numbers are less important than the microfarad ratings. That's what matters and the HVAC supplier will be able to help you match up. The different part numbers likely are for different (probably similar though) acceptable ratings b/c it isn't THAT specific so if you can only find a 25 or 30, then that's OK.
Some are even a range. Like on Carrier, I've replaced them that had ratings like 40-75. You just don't want to go smaller. Then it has to work harder and won't last as long or puts more strain on the motor.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #18
YC1

Check the voltage ratings as well. I know, lots of confusing things on capacitors.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #19

geordi: Based upon your comment about the microfarads, was wondering if you could comment on the following. I need a capacitor with 43-53uF but they are now in short supply. The one I need is 3310727.015. The on line store I was dealing with indicated that when the current supply across the country is gone, they're gone not making them anymore. But you can use a capacitor with 88-108. Will this higher microfarads cause damage to my Dometic Penguin?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
geordi: Based upon your comment about the microfarads, was wondering if you could comment on the following. I need a capacitor with 43-53uF but they are now in short supply. The one I need is 3310727.015. The on line store I was dealing with indicated that when the current supply across the country is gone, they're gone not making them anymore. But you can use a capacitor with 88-108. Will this higher microfarads cause damage to my Dometic Penguin?
Is the voltage rating the same? I don't know that I like the option of starting with a rating twice what the older one is... That's a BIT much of a jump for me. I'd go to a local supply house (Johnstone Supply or similar) and see what they have, you should be able to find something in a matching voltage with maybe a 50-75 uf rating or so.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #21

It’s same voltage as one removed. 250VAC. The dealer is also a mobile tech and indicated he’s installed 3 of these in Dometic Penguins as they are the replacement for the one no longer made. Hasn’t had any problems. I’m just concerned as don’t want anything to kill my 15 year old penguins as getting replacement A/Cs is tough right now.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #22

I did find a capacitor with identical numbers on Amazon ... although not specifically for Dometic Penquin. So ordered it! Can't think why this wouldn't work. But now need to PTCR (hard start switch) and altho there are a lot of them, not sure if they are all interchangeable? The numbers on my switch are 3106732.013
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #23

Most standard caps are 390v those are fine as well. MC Master Carr has high quality caps at great prices. Grainger has many different caps economy to higher quality. I like the sealed can caps. I have see far less fail compared to plastic starter ones. A hard start supco sppc 5 or 6 cap will have the pctr on it and a good replacement as well but if AC has start cap relay you should bypass that or add on run cap as per supco directions .
Run caps need to be exact Uf as they are tuned to balance motor amps .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #24
Dom

Like previous post, a spp6 Supco will work just fine. just install it across the herm terminal and the C terminal
Old 06-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #25
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Just to clarify. the 43uf capacitor is a run capacitor and the 88-to 108 uf is a start capacitor. They are NOT interchangable
Old 06-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #26

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	334082

The 43-53uF is a start capacitor. The run capacitor was also in the same area but left it alone since it was working. Here’s a pick of the start capacitor removed with the deformed/defective PTCR.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #27

That's about the size Suppco SPP5 is made to replace or add on to a SPP6 will give some more kick since you taking old one out its physically bigger so harder to fit.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://usermanual.wiki/Document/dom...ual.1019907528

Tags
need help