Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Need help identifying A/C capacitors

Hi all,

Had my back AC unit go out the other day, smelled electrical burning while sleeping. Just lucky nothing happened.

I have a 97 HR endeavor with 2 units. I don't have any paperwork on them, or stickers in doors, but they are controlled by a 4 button duo-therm.

I'll attach the pics I got, but one capacitor does not have any label and is pretty rusted. I believe I have identified the hard start capacitor and found a kit for that plus a PCTR, which is also burned.

Any help identifying the bigger of the capacitors is much appreciated!

Thank you.
Eilatan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilatan99 View Post
Hi all,

Had my back AC unit go out the other day, smelled electrical burning while sleeping. Just lucky nothing happened.

I have a 97 HR endeavor with 2 units. I don't have any paperwork on them, or stickers in doors, but they are controlled by a 4 button duo-therm.

I'll attach the pics I got, but one capacitor does not have any label and is pretty rusted. I believe I have identified the hard start capacitor and found a kit for that plus a PCTR, which is also burned.

Any help identifying the bigger of the capacitors is much appreciated!

Thank you.

This would be an ideal time to explore the use of softstart technology for the AC as it will also relieve stress on the electrical system from those those surges in energy requirements every time the compressor starts. Search for soft start and how to install for a full experience.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #3

Here is that Youtube expert video there are other sites and videos as well.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Here's the capacitors and pctr I pulled out.

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210510_113449.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	327861  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

Hi,

Since all the assemblers of our buckets of bolts use off the shelf stuff willy nilly, use the make and model of the AC as your starting point for wiring diagrams and parts information.

So the make and model of the AC will help you more than the make an dmodel of the RV as to the AC repair.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I do not have any documentation other than for the duo therm thermostat and there are no stickers on the ac units or in cabinet doors. The only part number I have is the control panel in each AC unit. But a search for that doesn't really help identify which AC model I have.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look in the ceiling behind the filter panel or vent panel. There may be a sticker there. I found a sticker there, and on the roof under the cover. My unit is 20 years newer.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

well, I may have hit pay dirt. I found 2 old product warranty cards for some dometic product in the huge manuals folder. They are 600315.321 and 600312.321. Quick google search shows those are AC model numbers. So now I have something to start with.

Btw, I have been on hold with dometic for 1 hour 42 minutes and am still caller 8 in the queue, started at 20. Think I'll hang up now.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilatan99 View Post
Pics

If its a dometic this is your ticket.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Domet...3_p_25720.html

Else call them and ask who to send a pic to, they will get you the correct one. What make is your Air conditioner and rough year should be the year of your RV if you give them that info plus the pic they will find you the replacement. Else a local HVAC parts supplier could also get you one if you take the part to em.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #10

Yep, that's the part number for the front AC run capacitor. I need 2, plus ptcr per unit and I'm going to go ahead and replace the ones in front since they're probably as old as the ones I pulled today in back.

Here's what I don't understand. 3100248.362 (for back 12BTU) is rated at 35+5uF 370 VAC. 3100248.073 (for front 15BTU) is rated at 20+5uF 370 VAC. Why does the smaller unit have higher ratings on the capacitor?

I found all parts at Dyers, so once I've confirmed I got all the right parts, I'm gonna place my order. I did find some of them cheaper on ebay, but didn't think I'd get much of a warranty if the part is dead.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #11

There is a possibility that the parts were replaced by undersized ones at a previous event. Search for dometic or what ever AC you have and the BTUs to see if any one has posted about the Cap sizes etc. Check the motor specs on both as well, the motor sizes may be different but my guess is that during a previous service event the front ones were replaced with something with "will do" by a "make do" way of thinkin.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic AC capacitor and PTCR.png
Views:	17
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	327880  
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Odd that your 15k unit only has a 20/5 capacitor. My 15k has a 55/15. Maybe because it is a heat pump also. Dometic wanted $69.00 far the cap. I got one for $8.00 elsewhere. They are all made in China.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #14

Combo capacitors are not that special - But now that you have the microfarad ratings, you can simply walk into any AC supply house (Johnstone Supply is a popular option) and get made-in-the-USA options for around $12 each. There is NO REASON to go to rv-specific retailers, for something this generic. All you will do is pay more money.

If they don't have a combo capacitor, you can get two individual in the proper ratings - and you can always step UP in rating but should never go down, that's probably why it failed out. 55MF sounds right for what I replaced on my 15kbtu unit.

Tags
need help