Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #1

Need Help with Slideout (not enough torque to start open)

Hi, I have a 2007 Itasca Sunova 35J, issue with the Bedroom Slideout.

I need to manually engage the Slideout about 1” with provided long wrenches.
At that point I can use the power system and fully extend the bedroom with in coach panel button.

Also I get a full closure with the in coach power system.

I get a code of 13 flashes upon final closure.

This is a kwikee system.

I want to make this repair myself, and would like some advice on what steps I should take to further diagnose the issue.

On a side note, I do remember that I hoped to never need to use the manual Slideout tools, and thought that if the Slideout ever failed while camping it would really suck. I gotta say, that the experience was much smoother than I anticipated.
jdmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've started not running slides not fully extended and retracted to avoid jamming. Try this.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same set on my 2008 Sunova and still had this handy if it helps.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...3010000798.pdf

13 flashes is “ 13.No Encoder Signal detected on Front Actuator”.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've started not running slides not fully extended and retracted to avoid jamming. Try this.
You mean driving on the road with about 1” slide out? No issues with movement beyond where you left it? I guess if it’s on a screw it won’t move beyond that point.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I had the same set on my 2008 Sunova and still had this handy if it helps.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...3010000798.pdf

13 flashes is “ 13.No Encoder Signal detected on Front Actuator”.
Thanks, now I need to figure the encoder signal, I hope it’s just a connection that’s at fault.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:37 PM   #6

I opened up my Slideout today, same method. Looks like front arm motor and actuator is located above the fuel tank. I am having a hard time believing that I would need to remove the fuel tank to access….

I’m just at a point that I don’t know what to do next. Probably just live with the manual process. Although I want to sell it, and have it operating properly beforehand.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not aure I’d this will be a help to you or not, but Winnie has the drawings for your coach online, the rear slide starts on page 117. If you were already under the rig it might not tell you anything you don’t already know but wanted to post just in case.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...07/7wfd35j.pdf

My only other thought, a few people here on the site have had the same issue, some had to replace the encoder and some were able to just reset things, I can’t seem to be able to get a link for my search resu,tw for you, but if you go up to the top to the search function and search for “Kwikee digiaync encoder failure” there are several treads. I couldn’t find a “smoking gun” one to link you in there but you might have better luck then I did finding a solution. A few seem to say that swapping out the encoder wasn’t too painful, but I couldn’t find posts on a 35J so the motor could have been in different spots for them.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe it's too simple but Winnie's want the engine running when moving the slides.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Maybe it's too simple but Winnie's want the engine running when moving the slides.

I wish, I always have it running, just because it seems like a big draw on the grid.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Not aure I’d this will be a help to you or not, but Winnie has the drawings for your coach online, the rear slide starts on page 117. If you were already under the rig it might not tell you anything you don’t already know but wanted to post just in case.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...07/7wfd35j.pdf

My only other thought, a few people here on the site have had the same issue, some had to replace the encoder and some were able to just reset things, I can’t seem to be able to get a link for my search resu,tw for you, but if you go up to the top to the search function and search for “Kwikee digiaync encoder failure” there are several treads. I couldn’t find a “smoking gun” one to link you in there but you might have better luck then I did finding a solution. A few seem to say that swapping out the encoder wasn’t too painful, but I couldn’t find posts on a 35J so the motor could have been in different spots for them.

Good luck!

Thanks, good diagram shown of the parts. I’m going to try disconnecting the wire harness and maybe replace. Or maybe I could just switch the feeds at control panel to diagnose.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most slide problems= low, weak, or bad battery?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Most slide problems= low, weak, or bad battery?

Ok, maybe but no problems with living room Slideout. I’ll check their charge level to make sure. Do they run off Coach or House?
Old 07-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #13

Today it worked without an issue, first time in awhile. I put a trickle charger on the cab battery, and lubed the arms. So not sure, but I’m guessing it had to do with the battery as stated above.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only other thought, the Winnie manual recommends only running the slides with the engine running. The motors take a fair amount of “juice” and it’s recommended to have the engine running so the alternator is charging the batteries at the same time.

May be what you were doing but if not I wanted to pass along given the post above.

Tags
need help, slide, slideout