Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need LED Light Strip for Step Well

As you can see in the below photo, I have a short light strip along one side of one of my entry steps. I’d like to replace them with brighter LED’s that I can wrap around the top of the entire step well. After doing some internet shopping I am on LED overload - there are TONS of light strips out there. I need something that can be cut to length and I want something that and has a good white color temp as opposed to a blue. Can anyone recommend one they’ve personally used?

Also, the current light strip is in a plastic tube. That tube is stapled to the carpet. None of the cut-to-length LED strips I’ve looked at come in plastic tubes. Any suggestions on the best way to mount a new strip to the carpeting?

Thanks!

Craig

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429898286.621965.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	92426

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Light color is measured in Kelvins, a temperature scale used in science. What we call 'white' light depends on your eyes. Incandescent bulbs are about ~2600 K.

When picking an LED, check it's color by the Kelvin scale.

These LEDs are about 3000 K, I think they're close to 'white.'

Amazon.com: HitLights Warm White SMD3528 LED Light Strip - 300 LEDs, 16.4 Ft Roll, Cut to length - 3000K, 82 Lumens / 1.5 Watts per foot, Requires 12V DC: Musical Instruments

You could buy plastic tubing at a local home improvement center and pull the light strip into the tubing. Most LED strips I find already in plastic tubing is 120 v, not 12 v.

Amazon has lots of choices, so does Ebay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mount the self-adhesive led strips to a skinny molding and tack in place. Screen molding is a convenient size.

Screen molding at Home Depot

Just about any of the adhesive strips can be cut to length - they even have factory markings every inch or tow for safe cut points.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Menards sells the cut-to-length LED strip light in both 12V and 120VAC versions. Some models even come with a remote. Match that to Bob's suggestion of encasing it in a clear plastic tube from a hardware store, and you have what you want.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a simple fix. Walmart, in their automotive section, sells two strips of LED lights, 12" long. They're 12 volt and have 3M tape on one side. They're about $10. I used them under my steps, outside and they worked great. They're pretty bright, so one strip should be enough.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can't stick the adhesive strips to carpet. Well, you can but they fall off soon. Thus the need for a mounting tube or strip.

The alternative is a rigid strip of a suitable length. They are often available in variopus lengths and colors, so you can hunt for something that suits. Walmart, KMart, auto parts stores, etc, have them.

Here is a nice 20" rigid strip if you can use that length. It is very bright - I have one mounted as an under-cabinet light in the galley work area.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what you need. Awesome lights! Mount to a small wood lath screwed under the lip. \ken

Amazon.com: Maxxima (MLS-1827) Cool White 18" LED Self-Adhesive Strip Light: Automotive
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I put a strip of led lights from amazon (from the roll of leds I used in our fluorescent light fixtures in the MH) into a clear plastic tube from the hardware store.

About $10 invested for the three MH fixtures and the home deck step railing.

Hangs outside under a deck step railing.

Been good for about 5 months so far. Never gets hot.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You can't stick the adhesive strips to carpet. Well, you can but they fall off soon. Thus the need for a mounting tube or strip.

The alternative is a rigid strip of a suitable length. They are often available in variopus lengths and colors, so you can hunt for something that suits. Walmart, KMart, auto parts stores, etc, have them.

Here is a nice 20" rigid strip if you can use that length. It is very bright - I have one mounted as an under-cabinet light in the galley work area.
$40 for 20 inches??? That's 50 cents an inch. Seems a bit steep when 5 m (16.4 feet) is only $12 on Amazon.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
$40 for 20 inches??? That's 50 cents an inch. Seems a bit steep when 5 m (16.4 feet) is only $12 on Amazon.
Yep,
Sure seems a bit on the high side of cost to me too. What you see below is about $12.00 from Amazon. The ones on the upper portion of the steps are 3528 LED light strip specs and, the ones along side/under the coach passenger side and, under the bottom front lip of the steps, are 5630 LED specs. MUCH BRIGHTER!
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I completed my little LED project today. I decided to take Don's advice, so I took the easy path and bought a twin pack of adhesive back LED strips at Walmart. At $20, they were a little more expensive than I had hoped for, but I had some free time today and I just wanted to git 'er done. The LED's are very bright so I decided to use only one strip. I'm sure I'll find a use for the other strip somewhere else in the MH! 😃

I found some scrap stained moulding in my garage that was perfect for mounting the strip. I cut it to length, countersunk the mounting screws and screwed it into the step well after drilling pilot holes. The whole project took me less than an hour, and I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for the help guys!

Craig

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431201851.138274.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	93827

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431201900.493307.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	93828

Old 05-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #12

Thanks for posting the result.

Great Idea for install.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need LED Light Strip for Step Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Thanks for posting the result.

Great Idea for install.

My pleasure.

I just checked the LED's now that it's nighttime. Holy cow they're bright! Almost too bright. They not only light up the step well, but the dash too, LOL! Since they come on with the patio light, I'm hoping they don't become distracting while watching TV at night. Time will tell...

Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

I agree, it does not take a long strip to get some subtle lighting help.

I am searching for a switch mounting point to make the light useful and not intrusive.

Then the step light could be left on without the patio light on whether we were in the rig or away from the rig.

My current step light is tied into the electric exterior step switch and as a result is usually turned off when parked.

Tags
light