Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need one Michelin XZE2 275/80R22.5

Noticed a small crack in sidewall of right side rear outer tire (about in mid sidewall, 2 inches long, in a radius direction ie from wheel center to outer tread).
Tires are late 2018 original install with new purchase. Other tires seem to be OK (visual inspections but never did inspected rear inners). Don't want to (nor need to) replace all yet.

Keeping an eye on crack & have sensors watching temp & pressures. Trying to be careful in summer heat travelling below 55 mph.

Want to replace tire with same, since treadwear still good (@ only 21,000 miles). Anyone know of a decent tire location near Benton Harbor, Michigan (currently) or near Chicago, travelling there (next few days).

Thanks
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you have a spare, use it. Otherwise get 2 new for the front, put 1 one on the back, and keep the other for a spare.

That's if you can't find a matching replacement.

I replaced my fronts with Toyo M154s. They are much easier to find, and I'm happy with them, as are others.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneumann View Post
Noticed a small crack in sidewall of right side rear outer tire (about in mid sidewall, 2 inches long, in a radius direction ie from wheel center to outer tread).

Tires are late 2018 original install with new purchase. Other tires seem to be OK (visual inspections but never did inspected rear inners). Don't want to (nor need to) replace all yet.

Keeping an eye on crack & have sensors watching temp & pressures. Trying to be careful in summer heat travelling below 55 mph.

Want to replace tire with same, since treadwear still good (@ only 21,000 miles). Anyone know of a decent tire location near Benton Harbor, Michigan (currently) or near Chicago, travelling there (next few days).

Thanks

You do know Michelin is know for horrible cracking and still be good according to Michelin.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #4

I see that they are readily available as even Amazon and Walmart can have them delivered in three days to Benton Harbor, MI. or just about anywhere else in the country by the end of the week.

Amazon: Michelin XZE2 275/80R22.5

Walmart: Michelin XZE2 275/80R22.5

The reason I mention what I just did is that it shows that you most likely will not have any trouble having a dealer get them either.

The authorized Michelin commercial truck dealer in Benton Harbor is Boss Truck Shops Inc.

There's also an authorized Michelin commercial truck dealer in Mattawan MI that is about 30 miles from Benton Harbor called Meekhof Tire Sales & Service Inc.

However, you do not necessarily have to have an authorized Michelin dealer order them. Most commercial truck tire dealers would most likely be able to order a Michelin tire but an authorized dealer may even have them in stock.

Since you do not have to be too concerned about the date-of-manufacture in your particular case, you might even want to consider ordering from Amazon or Walmart and have the tire drop shipped to the installer of your choice ...again, you can choose the commercial truck tire dealer you want to install the tire. Just call ahead and check before you have the tire shipped to them to see if they can accommodate your request.

In the case of Walmart, you could even have it delivered to one of their retail stores and take it to the installer of your choice if you wish.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Keep a close eye on the other tires....if one cracks, the others will be close behind...BTDT with Michelin.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for the comments.

M&W Tire in Benton Harbor did not have exact tire in stock & was very helpful. Found a tire dealer, in South Bend (with stock, & on the way of our route to outside Chicago). Similar price if bought on line.

Will advise how it goes.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had tire replaced at Best-One Fleet Service in South Bend Indiana.

Terrific customer service from M&W Tire in Benton Harbor (they did not have exact fit in stock) & then coordinated with Best-One in nearby South Bend.

Terrific & timely service to replace the tire as soon as we arrived at Best-One the next day. Thank you to all & especially to Brandon / Leo & Carl / Brian at Best-One.

So glad to have safe tires again.

(Read some comments that Michelin tires are prone to cracking ? .... this was not the case but seems to have been a road hazard; tires did not show any signs of cracking nor dry rot.)

Thank you all for the assistance.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #8

That crack might not be significant, use this Michelin tire cracking chart(pg 28) to make a determination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	441782931_OzoneChart.jpg.aef0870da330a6bc8c657267d74d04c1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	374920  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I probably should not have used the word "crack", it was more of a hazard inflicted damage cut. Attached is a photo & have since replaced the tire to be safe. Tires did not have any of the cracking symptoms per your post Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Claim 3371823_Damaged tire location of hazard.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	374965& are all in good shape.
Thank you.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't buy the Michelin "cracking chart," cracked is cracked. I'm not about to take off on a long trip with cracked tires, where I might get down the road a way and the cracks get bigger. Michelin has a serious problem they need to fix not tell us how it's okay to run on their cracked tires.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't buy the Michelin "cracking chart," cracked is cracked. I'm not about to take off on a long trip with cracked tires, where I might get down the road a way and the cracks get bigger. Michelin has a serious problem they need to fix not tell us how it's okay to run on their cracked tires.
I actually agree with what you're saying and is just an additional reason, as many on this forum know , that i don't recommend replacing the OEM Michelins for another set on motorhomes. I don't know, when they attempt to justify that a certain amount of sidewall cracking is normal and acceptable, it doesn't sit well with me but that's just me.

Michelin enthusiasts keep saying that Michelin engineers certain tires specifically for motoromes as they supposedly add more UV resistance to their rubber. I don't completely buy that either but many do and have posted that hype from Michelin here on the forum. Some have posted that they ONLY feel safe when having Michelin tires on their motorhomes and that any other brand is compromising safety. Baloney.

Michelin generally produces excellent products. However, I personally prefer not to use them on motorhomes.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:47 AM   #12

bneumann, on pg 11 of the Michelin RV tire manual is a picture of a very similar tire cut and the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

Michelin knows what causes their tire cracking and address it in their RV tire manual; it's lack of use and improper storage. (pg 8)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:59 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ray, thanks for your info.

Maybe am wrong, difficult to be positively certain, too many variables. Believe cause is from a hazard infliction, causing a little wide cut (area seen in my photo) which then migrated further. Only a tire autopsy may confirm.

Replaced tire with like for like since all had lots of tread & no damage. Always a dilemma when only one tire has a problem; forces one to keep with OEM.

Am from 'old school' & still believe in Michelin & Pirelli; would look at other options in future, as experiences then may dictate. Also had good performance with Toyo on passenger cars (Mercedes & Nissan).

Glad I noticed my problem & now resolved until next adventure.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
bneumann, on pg 11 of the Michelin RV tire manual is a picture of a very similar tire cut and the result.

Michelin knows what causes their tire cracking and address it in their RV tire manual; it's lack of use and improper storage. (pg 8)
They don't know anything....they put out lousy tires and want to blame us for improper storage and tire pressure?? Baloney! I meticulously check my tire pressure, treat them with no petroleum 303, keep the tires covered in the camp ground and stored in a building. I replaced them at 34k, five and a half years, lots of tread left and lots of side wall cracking.

Tags
michelin