Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Need Southern Calif. park or boondocking spot where we can work on coach roof

Our new-to-us 2003 coach has very old looking dicor sealant on the roof -- it's very grey and pitted, although not cracked -- and we've found that water is getting under or through some, if not all of it. We'd like to remove all of it and put down new sealant. The problem is we're full-timers and we need a good park in Southern California where we can stay and have it be ok to be up on our roof doing this work. It seems like most parks don't allow working on your coach, even non-mechanical work such as this.

Boondocking would also be do-able for us, but we don't know of a good location for this kind of scenario in SoCal.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Southern California is pretty big. Can you be more specific?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Southern California is pretty big. Can you be more specific?
Seriously, we're pretty flexible. We're currently in Ventura, CA and had plans to head down to Temecula and Joshua Tree, but we could really go just about anywhere in SoCal for the right place or location. We are motivated to get this work done as soon as possible.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

I replaced my shower sky light on my roof while staying at Chula Vista RV Resort without any issue. I doubt any park will have an issue with you on the roof. They just don’t want major work going on while staying there. Go up top for an hour or two at a time to scrape the old sealant off. Take two days or so to do it. Then applying the new sealant, Dicor, I assume, will not take very long.

Also, you can park just about anywhere on the streets during the daytime. You could stay at a park, then roll out and spend several hours working up top, then go back to the park later. The area around the Chula Vista RV park has miles of curb to park.

I redid my entire roof when staying at the KOA in SLC. They also have a policy of not working on the rig. No one said a thing to me.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

Thanks, Jake, that sounds really encouraging.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

If you're going to Joshua Tree, I noticed this past January there were a lot of dry campers on a dirt road which runs parallel just to the north of I-10 off the access road into the southern entrance to the park.

If you look on Google Earth you can clearly see them. I know nothing about regs for that but you could definitely do your work there without bothering anyone. Downside is that help in case of a fall help would be slow getting to you. Be safe on the roof where ever you decide to go.

If you do go to the southern entrance, go a little farther east and check out the George Patton Museum.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #7

Borrego springs. There are hundreds of boondocking snow birds every winter. Google it and have a look.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Antlelope valley fairgrounds in Lancaster, nice facility and I dont think anyone would bother you
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never been in a RV park where if I felt I needed to go on the roof for something, I couldn't .
I'm in SoCal now, if I need to go on the roof, I'll be up there! If someone try's to tell me to get down, they better be ready to catch me !!
Old 02-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
Our new-to-us 2003 coach has very old looking dicor sealant on the roof -- it's very grey and pitted, although not cracked -- and we've found that water is getting under or through some, if not all of it. We'd like to remove all of it and put down new sealant. The problem is we're full-timers and we need a good park in Southern California where we can stay and have it be ok to be up on our roof doing this work. It seems like most parks don't allow working on your coach, even non-mechanical work such as this.
Up and down the california coast there are a number of places where the "new" road (1 or 101) bypassed a stretch of the old road and you see RVs and cars parked on the old road. Just south of Emma Wood State Beach is one place - look on Google Earth and it shows bunches of trailers and motor homes parked on the road labeled Beach Access. I used to drive past it every monday and friday, it was always the same RVs.

Another example is Finney Street by Summerland - it parallels US 1. Back in the mid 1990s a friend dry camped his MH on it for a week. As long has he moved it every 24 hours (he just went from one end to the middle to the other) the Highway Patrol ignored him.

Another example is US 1 south of Hobson County Park. It parallels the freeway (US 101). Look on Google Earth and it shows US 1 is lined with dry-camped RVs on the beach side for over a half mile. Every time I drive by (about once every couple of months) it looks like the same RVs.

Are you a veteran? Point Mugu navy base has (or had, back when I was there in the late 80s/early 90s) an RV area on base where you can (could?) stay for up to 89 days at a time. I'd drive past the RV parking area to go to breakfast at the beach burger shack each morning. There was a retired navy chief parked in an end spot, and one morning a a Black and Decker Workmate bench appeared, and over 5 mornings an Onan generator engine appeared on it then it was torn down and reassembled with new pistons and new cylinders then the engine disappeared (I assume it was was bolted back on the genny) and the next morning the Workmate disappeared...
At the time I was on the base the RV area had minimal hookups... you had to be pretty much self contained...
Old 02-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Up and down the california coast
Thanks for the tips. The coast has been getting quite a bit of rain lately, so we think we need to head further south and probably into the desert. We'd like a sustained stretch of dry weather.

By the way, I'm not a vet, but I've heard the sites at Point Mugu are awesome for those that qualify there.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. The coast has been getting quite a bit of rain lately, so we think we need to head further south and probably into the desert. We'd like a sustained stretch of dry weather.
The weather-guessers are saying on-and-off rain for the next two weeks so heading somewhere else is probably a good idea. Don't know your budget but I've been at the SaddleWest RV park in Parumph NV... $30 a day covers everything... water, cable TV, electric, WiFi and all taxes.
BTW being a weather-guesser is the only job I know of where you can be wrong half of the time and still keep your job.

Quote:
By the way, I'm not a vet, but I've heard the sites at Point Mugu are awesome for those that qualify there.
When I was on base in the late 80s/early 90s I was told that all it took was a call ahead to see if there was an open spot, then when you arrived you had to show a valid military ID and fill out some some paperwork. Don't know what the rules are now.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
If you're going to Joshua Tree, I noticed this past January there were a lot of dry campers on a dirt road which runs parallel just to the north of I-10 off the access road into the southern entrance to the park.

If you look on Google Earth you can clearly see them. I know nothing about regs for that but you could definitely do your work there without bothering anyone. Downside is that help in case of a fall help would be slow getting to you. Be safe on the roof where ever you decide to go.

If you do go to the southern entrance, go a little farther east and check out the George Patton Museum.
Hi, I was one of those RVers on that road, back inJanuary. It is a maintenance road for a water pipe and each pumping station has a reasonably level pullout that a Class A can fit in to do this type of work.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful input. We'll be checking out the Borrego Springs and Joshua Tree areas you suggested -- they sound great for what we need to do.

And, we'll definitely stop at the George Patton Museum. Looks like a very interesting place, thanks for mentioning it.

Tags
boondocking, roof