Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Tire Purchase Input

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N. My Michelin XZA2 Energy 27570R22.5 are showing some cracking on sidewalls at 6 years use. I am going to replace now. I am torn staying with the Michelin Tire with this cracking that occurred but I love the way it rides etc.. Was going to check with the FMCA program to get a price on the Michelins. I wondered if others went back with the XZA2 energy tires after having cracking occur and if you had a better experience. If you did not go back with Michelin what brand/tire did you move to. It is a lot of money to replace tires and needs to be a GREAT decision>>> tks for input GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
My XZA2s are showing slight cracking in the sidewalls at 6 years with about 60,000 miles on them. You might want to have them looked at by a Michelin dealer for their opinion

FMCA program now has Continentals at a discount which are cheaper than the Miches. You might want to consider those as they are an excellent tire. You can find info on the FMCA website fmca.com
Old 01-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't like Michelin's as in 40 plus years of RVing I had two blow outs both on front and both Michelin's. I just replace tires and after a lot of looking and investigating I went with Hercules made by Cooper. They ride great checking the serial number will tell where they were made. Mine were USA
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

For 40 years I wouldn't run anything but Michelin's on my car but with the recent sidewall cracking (replaced my coach steers after 5 years) I'm now afraid of them at any price until the cracking issue has proven to be resolved. I put Yokohama's on the steers and pleased so far after a year.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had been a Michelin fan for multiple tire set ourcgases - paying the premium price for them. But I think now many other tire manufacturers have closed the gap and many RV owners have run other brands with much reported success - Toyo, Hankook, etc.. So last year I looked at many options and bought firestone tires. Over $1000 less than FMCA Michelin price. No perceived difference in ride or handling from the previous Michelins after about 15000 miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am at the same place but looks like I have checking on all tires. Do you use the same size as my tire?mine is a 27570R22.5 IF so what model and size did you replace them with?? I plan to look at those. I live in West Point, ms. and they just last year built a Yokohama plant here. TKs for responding and stay warm.....
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
For 40 years I wouldn't run anything but Michelin's on my car but with the recent sidewall cracking (replaced my coach steers after 5 years) I'm now afraid of them at any price until the cracking issue has proven to be resolved. I put Yokohama's on the steers and pleased so far after a year.

Are your tires the same as mine if so what Yokohama tire model and size did you get??? Tks Glen
Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
Are your tires the same as mine if so what Yokohama tire model and size did you get??? Tks Glen
I bought Yokohamas last year for my coach, not your size but I like them a lot. Nice ride and quiet, but they took a huge price increase right after Christmas. Go to simpletire.com and see what is available in your size.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

For a long time I was a firm believer in Michelin tires. I have had good Michelin tires and bad Michelin. In 35 years of motorhome ownership I have had three blow outs, all Michelin. The last was a 3 year old Michelin. The Michelin dealer said it was from damage but he could not show me damage. My current set of Michelins have never ridden smooth, I took them back to the dealer 3 times. I plan to switch to Toyo for my next set because of the price difference suggestions from Toyo owners.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #10

I got Michelin: 295/80 R 22.5 XZA2 Energy for less than FMCA at a local tire dealer.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Hankooks on my Providence and they ride smoother than the michelins did and don't have a sidewall problem. Also cheaper.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #12

Replace the set of Michelin with toyo 5 years ago and 20000 miles very happy with them rides nice handles nice and I wasn't going to wait for the michelins to blow out all six were cracked.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

X2 on the Hankooks - very nice ride.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my Hercules tires on SimpleTire.com and they were the best buy I could find. Coordinated with local tire installers, found one I likes, and had the tires shipped there. Had them installed with balance beads and 20,000 miles later, I absolutely love my tires!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase