RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #1

Need To Repair 36" Of Roof Clear Coat

With age we have a small area of roof clear coat that is coming off the front area of our coach. Just 36" but I want to repair it. Has anyone taken on this kind of roof repair? I know any body shop would take this on but I also know matching paint is not hard and isn't polyurethane a clear coat?

Thank You For Your Time.
Merry Christmas!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A number of people have the peeling clear coat problem and have sanded it down and re-sprayed with new clear coat. It's available in aerosol cans (aka rattle cans) at most auto parts stores.

Not sure what you are asking about polyurethane. The stuff on the local paint dept shelves is a varnish, usually clear but not necessarily. Yes, clear polyurethane is used as a clear finish over varnish so has the same general intent as automotive clear coat, but it's not designed to do the same job. Use the right stuff at an auto parts store, Amazon, etc..
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you go to an automotive paint store they can sell you the real clear coat, usually a 2 stage paint where you mix the catalyst in with the paint just before using gives the best results. The stuff sold in rattle cans is generally mostly solvents and does not leave a thick enough film to last.

It is a lot of work prepping the area and the better the prep the longer it will last. The old coating must be sanded off or the new coating will not stick. I would get an estimate from a body shop and compare that to the price of the material, masking supplies, sandpaper etc. and a weekend of medium hard labor.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Spray max 2k clear coat a 2 part in a can.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

Or, Rhinoliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04ACF8CE-470F-4107-99F9-38BA6FE509DC.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	186335  
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Dennis4809,

WOW! Thanks for the pic. My wife & I saw a display of the rv rhino front shields at a rv show. The vendor told me that this new method eliminates the removal of the old diamond-shield because you now can just paint over it! Or, apply clear if your front end still looks good. I like the fact that you can match the color on your rv and make it look GREAT.
Thanks for the info on the clear coat roof repair from everyone. I now know how to attack it.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Applying clear coat over a sanded old base coat will provide a temporary solution at best. If you going to do it correctly, the base coat needs to be applied over a proper primer followed by the clear. This must be done within a specific time frame. This is a bc/cc “system”.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Applying clear coat over a sanded old base coat will provide a temporary solution at best.
Why do you say that? niceguy didn't indicate any flaw in the base coat at all. It's not unusual for the clear coat to peel from the base coat at the top of fn some motorhome front caps. The base coat surface needs proper prep to be sure, but I see no reason that it needs to be removed and repainted.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #9

You need to read the original application instructions for the material that was used during the original painting process. It is a system and each layer is applied in a particular manner and time frame. It seems many who try to use the 2K clear over old base coats have limited long term success. It may work for you. I would check with your paint supplier for the latest materials available and how to apply them. My front cap needs repainting as well but it will take a lot of work and I only want to have to do it once.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #10

Hi Falconman,

Thanks for the info. My base coat is still in good shape just faded a little. So, I plan to wet sand with a 1500 grid paper / clean with alcohol (JackDanielsApple)/ repaint with matching colored enamel from Ace / then 3 thin coats of Dupli-Color ClearCoat. If it turns out well, I'll report the results to the forum.

Happy Camping

Tags
air, repair, roof