Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

New batteries but charger not charging

'03 Winn DP with Freedom Model 15 Inverter/Charger, Xantrex Freedom remote and Powerline 2000 Energy Management System. House batteries were 18 months old and had been crushed when installed by previous owner so I just installed 3 new Wally World 12V deep cycle batteries. Cleaned all cables, connections, hold downs and cleaned and painted battery box. 12 volt system works great but 2 days later (while on 50 Amp shore power) I notice batteries are discharging even when Charge indicator is lit on the Xantrex. Xantrex shows low battery indication when Charge indicator is on, medium indication when I turn Charge button off. Powerline monitor indicates house batteries now12.1 volts. I'm new to this and I'm lost...is there something that needs to be reset when replacing house batteries to bring charger on line? Power monitor shows clean 50 Amps at the post. Xantrex shows no DC amps. Help.
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You don't mention how the batteries were crushed but if the battery cable(s) are disconnected while the battery charger is operating a rapid voltage increase could result in damage to the battery charger. If this wasn't the case, check any resettable circuit breakers on the inverter.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #3

RJay...one battery was clamped too tightly which deformed the case. The charger was working with the old batteries. I have reset the two breakers on the front of the inverter and turned it on then off. What confuses me is that when I turn on the charger from the panel in the coach the monitor indicates the batteries are low. When I turn the charger off it indicates they are at medium charge. The panel reads 12.1 volts.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I am having the same indications that you have with regard to the low and medium light indications on the Freedom remote control panel when charging and not charging. The voltage on the panel is reading 12v so it does not appear to be charging.

Did you find a solution? One other problem I am having is no power to the electrical outlets on shore power. AC's work but nothing with a plug.

Randy
rrlirv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrlirv2 View Post
I am having the same indications that you have with regard to the low and medium light indications on the Freedom remote control panel when charging and not charging. The voltage on the panel is reading 12v so it does not appear to be charging.

Did you find a solution? One other problem I am having is no power to the electrical outlets on shore power. AC's work but nothing with a plug.

Randy
Try this:

Get to the back side of the remote and un plug the phone type connector. Then reconnect it. I have done this to reset the remote in the past and it helped to regain functionality.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #6

No power to outlets..... reset the GFCI in the bathroom and anywhere else you may have one. You might have a GFCI in an outside compartment.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #7

Randy.......I solved the problem by disconnecting all of the batteries then reconnecting them one at a time, beginning with the inboard battery (the first one connected to the system). As I connected each battery I would check with the remote to see if I had a good reading. The system has worked perfectly since then. I concluded (correctly or otherwise) that connecting all three batteries and introducing them to the system all at once was the wrong thing to do. Hope that works for you..........Jim
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most likely disconnecting all batteries did the same thing as disconnecting the remote as described in my earlier post. Either way resets the remote.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

Disconnecting the remote sure would be easier than disconnecting the batteries (in the dark...when it's snowing...and the dog needs to go out). If there is a next time I'll do that first...Thanks......Jim