Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

New in Seattle - Remodeling Questions

Picking up a 2002 Itasca Sunova 28'

A few questions.....

Want to remodel. Interior is not "bad", just want it more modern. Watched lots of the youtube upgrade on MH and seems straight forward.
Want original wood cabinets painted white, pull carpet and linoneoum and changed to dark ash color laminate. Update the curtains and cushions to a grey color fabric, tile the back-splash as well as the bathroom to start things off. Add led color strips throughout, and swapping all lights to LED bulbs. Figure winter is a good time to tackle these projects.

Now the question....
1)Painting over the cabinets a good idea? if so brush or spray?
2)Can I just tile over the existing wall paper or do I need to pull it all off first?
3)Want to put in an entertainment system. Do most people use car stereo related gear (12v) or actual home receiver/amplifier and speakers (120v) in conjunction with an inverter? How does playing the car stereo driving will work when watching TV when parked using the same speakers?
4)Swapping existing toilet with ceramic. Is this a worthy upgrade?
5)Painting shower walls, doable or not worth doing?
6)Swapping bathroom sink to ceramic or stainless, worthy?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to contribute to this community.
Dave.
neverl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverl8 View Post

A few questions.....

Want to remodel. Interior is not "bad", just want it more modern. Watched lots of the youtube upgrade on MH and seems straight forward.
Want original wood cabinets painted white, pull carpet and linoneoum and changed to dark ash color laminate. Update the curtains and cushions to a grey color fabric, tile the back-splash as well as the bathroom to start things off. Add led color strips throughout, and swapping all lights to LED bulbs. Figure winter is a good time to tackle these projects.

Now the question....
I don't think most cabinets are painted, but rather stained. Don't know how paint would work.

2)Can I just tile over the existing wall paper or do I need to pull it all off first?
I've never seen an RV with wallpaper. Most have a special wallboard with the finish "built-in". If that's the case, I would think you could apply wallpaper over it.

3)Want to put in an entertainment system. Do most people use car stereo related gear (12v) or actual home receiver/amplifier and speakers (120v) in conjunction with an inverter? How does playing the car stereo driving will work when watching TV when parked using the same speakers?
Not familiar with your rig, but if it's a motorhome most have separate surround sound systems which are 120 VAC. They have their own separate speakers.

I think that would be a nice mod!

I have never heard of painting plastic shower walls.

In our MH the bathroom lavatory and counter top is all one piece, so I don't know about that one.

Dave.
Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
I've read many of your comments here on iRV2 before joining. You have lots of insightful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

Hello, Dave.
Recently I had remodeled my kitchen, bathroom and living room. I had started with my living room, I had updated my furniture, curtains, carpet, wall color and accessories. I remodeled my bathroom tile design by installing a ceramic tile because it has a protective layer that rests over the material, making them hard to water and stain penetration. Then, on the recommendation of my wife, I got in contact with the professional contractor for a walk in tubs Seattle and installed a walk-in bathtub in my bathroom for my mother-in law because she was dealing with mobility issues.For my kitchen remodeling I had painted my kitchen cabinets and yes it looks lovely.
LanceHendric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Any images of before and after? Love to hear about any issues you have encountered so I won't make the same mistake.

Currently, I'm working on getting replacement stereo, speakers and led TVs installed. All the parts are trickling in little by little. Thought I tackle the little jobs first before the painting and flooring.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverl8 View Post

A few questions.....

Now the question....

Dave.
Unless the cabinet boxes are totally toast, don't paint them. Better to replace the doors with new wood and a finish that matches the cabinet boxes.

If it is the original paper, yes. If it is not then remove.

Stay with the 12v systems, you can pick up 12v power supplies for many new 120v tvs. Speaker arrangement will work fine as long as you wire it correctly.

Toilet internals wear out, regardless if it is a ceramic or plastic. most last at least 5 years some times as long as 10 years with soft water. Less with hard water. When the internal plumbing vents go bad, and they begin to smell, you have to replace the entire toilet to fix it. Manufacturer's don't like to tell you this.

Replace the shower stall if it is that bad. Sadly, most folks think the shower is a carry all for all kinds of junk. The stuff punctures (micropits) the shower pan over a period of time and it has to be replaced. Even common buttons will wear away the waterproof surface with road vibration.

Bathroom sink, size it always the issue. Finding an aftermarket unit that will fit properly with out having to alter the cabinet is always a big issue. Learn to use only liquid cleaner after you have used polishing compound to rub out the plastic finish.

remember, interior decorating does not increase the value of the coach, only makes it easier to sell. The more you spend, the more you loose!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another point, when you leave stuff in the kitchen sink it pounds the slip seal that goes into the water trap. This seal then leaks and folks seem to want to blame the manufacture for a poor design rather than themselves for not understanding how plumbing works. make sure your shower pan as well as your sinks are empty when you are moving.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Thanks Longfu, lots of insightful answers.

The coach is actually in excellent shape with it original setup. Nothing is worn except maybe the shower and sink fixture with some what seems like pitting/rust? Otherwise, the cabinets and all is minty condition. My Mom visited me and took a look at it and was amazed at how nice it was and when I told her what I was about to do with it, she gave that disapproving Mom "look".

Well, I'll work on the electronic upgrade first then ponder again for the color change if needed. Guess needed someone/Mom's unbiased opinion to set me straight.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Remodeling

We replaced our toilet with an ADA height toilet. It feels so much better with the added height. Walmart sells some nice paints in a spray can for plastic. Krylon fusion. Take a look at Lowes or Home Depot for kits to upgrade counter tops/sinks. Maybe just give your kitchen cupboards a good treatment of liquid gold to freshen them up. Be careful about adding weight in your remodeling.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #10

Is it an ADA height RV toilet or regular? I would like to have a "normal" height vs a crouch.

I've watched some youtube videos on spray canning the shower surround and might tackle that as its the prep work is the key to a good finish from what I gather.

I've seen those counter top paint as well. Prime then paint. I've got resources that I can tap for granite top but you're right, it would weigh way too much unfortunately. Maybe a custom Corian top with an integrated sink would be nice. I don't really have that much counter space. I would have one made to match the dinette top too.

I have all Winter to figure and get this all done.

I know I would never recover back what I put in but customizing to my style would be something I would enjoy. Selling it on the other hand if the buyer doesn't like it, well, guess that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
We replaced our toilet with an ADA height toilet. It feels so much better with the added height. Walmart sells some nice paints in a spray can for plastic. Krylon fusion. Take a look at Lowes or Home Depot for kits to upgrade counter tops/sinks. Maybe just give your kitchen cupboards a good treatment of liquid gold to freshen them up. Be careful about adding weight in your remodeling.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have had 4 rv's with different toilets. Just put in a Dometic 300 or 311 series toilet and like how well it flushes and self cleans . I got the sprayer but you could do with out. It is china but the base is plastic. Was a snaap to install. No lip as on most toilets but rather a series of holes around the edge where water is dispersed, that are only seen with seat up. The pedal operates easy and positive. The price is very low. I paid 127 @PPL. motorhomes. You wont like the cheap seat that comes with it so order a better quality enamel coated wooden seat at the same time. Mine came with a broken seat where the valve is covered . Due to a mix up PPL sent me a complete replacement toilet. LOL I still had to order a better seat.
Now what am I gonna do with this extra toilet ?
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote