Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We love the memory foam toppers. But before we knew about them, we did have a mattress custom made for one short queen and it was about $350? Also in our last camper that we bought used, someone had added an extension to the bed and it had a regular queen. Worked fine and there was plenty of room.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #16

I have made this suggestion to several people and they have all loved it. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a 4" Canopy brand foam topper. Cut the topper to fit and you are ready to go, extremely comfortable, and very easy. The Canopy brand is one of the top rated toppers on the market. Some friends of mine liked it so much they put one on their bed at home. I have had mine for two years now without any problems. Let it air out for about 24 hours before you use it and the smell will go away. Enjoy!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bigwheel, are you using your 4" Walmart topper on a boxspring or solid surface? We don't have the option of a boxspring so want to know if this would work for us as is. Thanks
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #18

mattress

We were both getting "hot spots" on our sleep number. Basically hated it. Went and got a topper and it improved greatly. We have discussed replacing it with a regular mattress but I'm affraid I couldn't get the new mattress in the door. Door on diesel pusher just looks to small...any experience.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As others have mentioned the original mattress in our HR Endeavor was horrible. We bought a 3" foam topper which made a significant difference but even the foam could not resolve all the issues. We have a Tempurpedic at the stick house but did not want to spend that much money for the MH. Someone told us about "Bed-in-A-Box" and that they had RV size foam built much like a Tempurpedic. We bought a 60X80 and it is arguably as good as the Tempurpedic at a fraction of the cost. May want to take a look.

RV Memory Foam Mattress | RV Memory Foam Mattresses | RV Mattress | BedInABox.com - RV Center

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
We were both getting "hot spots" on our sleep number. Basically hated it. Went and got a topper and it improved greatly. We have discussed replacing it with a regular mattress but I'm affraid I couldn't get the new mattress in the door. Door on diesel pusher just looks to small...any experience.

Replaced our RV queen mattress with a residential pillow-top queen. No problem going through the door of our DP.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #21

We put the topper directly on the old mattress (which was as hard as a boxspring) and it feels good. Once we overnight on it I'll post again and let you know if it's comfortable all night. Right now we're still working out bugs and learning the systems till it stops raining and we can go play.
Bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
As others have mentioned the original mattress in our HR Endeavor was horrible. We bought a 3" foam topper which made a significant difference but even the foam could not resolve all the issues. We have a Tempurpedic at the stick house but did not want to spend that much money for the MH. Someone told us about "Bed-in-A-Box" and that they had RV size foam built much like a Tempurpedic. We bought a 60X80 and it is arguably as good as the Tempurpedic at a fraction of the cost. May want to take a look.

RV Memory Foam Mattress | RV Memory Foam Mattresses | RV Mattress | BedInABox.com - RV Center

mark
I second this one. We bought a regular queen from them and like it a lot. Just don't open it until you get it in the RV.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a web site for a company that will make RV custom style and size mattresses of your choice.

melvincustommattress.com

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
We put a Sams Club 3" topper on ours and it worked out so well that we got one for the stick house. A real nice $100 fix. The extra height made the new sheets fit better, for some reason new sheets don't fit a standard size mattress very well. The only thing I had to do was finally replace the Gas Springs that hold the bed up while accessing the storage. I wanted to fix that problem anyway and the extra weight of the topper got me off my butt to do it.
Dick
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #25

WE also went with the 3" Costco foam topper and it has been a greaty improvement.
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolsom View Post
I second this one. We bought a regular queen from them and like it a lot. Just don't open it until you get it in the RV.
You got that right Mark. Thankfully the lady at at Bed in a Box warned me and instructed me on placement before removing the wrapping. When it arrived I was a little scepical that a queen mattress could fit in such a small box and wary it would fill out to proper queen size. Once cut it loose I was amazed how it expanded.

Great mattress. The wife actually likes it more than our Tempurpedic at home.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Overstock.com is a good option for memory foam mattress. We just bought a king size 4" foam mattress and cut it up for the kids' bunks. Only cost $97. We liked it so much we bought a queen size version for our bed. Cost the same.

I didn't see anyone mention foam density. The lower the density number the softer the foam (I think I have that right). Density 3 or 4 seems to be the typical choice.
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to be selling our rv queen sleep number bed. Make me an offer :-) I live in Gainesville, Floirda just off I-75 so you can pick it up as you pass by.
soberjoe is offline   Reply With Quote