Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #1

New Member With Motorhome Questions

I'm trying to figure out which class a gas motor home is the best one to buy holds up the best and I know no body knows how long it will last but less break downs would be nice we getting it to go south in winter I don't mind the cold weather I'm from Alabama myself go figure huh but I fish as much as I can everyday when weather permitting so south is better in winter I don't ice fish ever never will ever so south end is better for us looking at challenger hurricane Miramar but believe newmar baystar is better but I know tiffin Allegra is better than anything else but not seen one in person yet I'm not buying anything used only new I've had 6 new super c an a bus but been years ago so these class As are new to me
Iride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the group. [moderator edit]
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[moderator edit]

With regards to the original question. All the gas class A motorhomes today are built on the same Ford F53 chassis. So reliability with regards to the chassis will all be about the same. Quality and craftsmanship on the rest will be different. We bought ours based on layout, then the best quality. If your not flexible about the layout then you have a wider choice of options. In that case, I would agree to look towards the Tiffins.
SavageNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride View Post
I'm trying to figure out which class a gas motor home is the best one to buy holds up the best and I know no body knows how long it will last but less break downs would be nice we getting it to go south in winter I don't mind the cold weather I'm from Alabama myself go figure huh but I fish as much as I can everyday when weather permitting so south is better in winter I don't ice fish ever never will ever so south end is better for us looking at challenger hurricane Miramar but believe newmar baystar is better but I know tiffin Allegra is better than anything else but not seen one in person yet I'm not buying anything used only new I've had 6 new super c an a bus but been years ago so these class As are new to me

As with ALL motorhomes they will have problems. If you have had actual Super Cís then you might be disappointed in a gasser. I have heard a lot of good things about Tiffin. Generally you can go inside and pick out the cheap made ones.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum.

Since you plan on buying a new gas Class A coach and you mention you want "less break downs," it seems you may be referring to things going wrong with the chassis portion of the coach? If so, it really doesn't matter much which manufacturer you're choosing as I believe the majority, if not all, will use a Ford V8 7.3L 350 HP on an F53 chassis.

For instance both the Tiffin Open Road Allegro and the Newmar Baystar will both use that chassis combo.

If you're asking about things "breaking" pertaining to the coach portion and want to know the "best" coach to purchase for quality workmanship of the house portion, that will depend on who you ask as it's like asking is Ford or Chevrolet a better car? Some will say Ford and some Chevy and have reasons for their decision.

You seem to imply and possibly already are convinced that Tiffin is the "best" with Newmar close behind but, again, it's who you talk to as to what answers you'll get. Most Tiffin owners will obviously say Tiffin is "best" and Newmar owners will say Newmar is best.

With that said, I tend to prefer Newmar over Tiffin. But that's just my personal preference and many will disagree with me. Newmar is known for its quality interiors and attention to detail. Tiffin was once known for its stellar factory support.

Now that Newmar is under the Winnebago umbrella of companies, that would sway me toward Newmar even more now than before as I've always liked Winnebago products and support. Tiffin is now owned by Thor but still operates autonomously. Tiffin continues to produce a very good product and gives great support but being part of Thor kind of makes what happens going into the future somewhat nebulous and scares me a bit but doesn't seem to bother Tiffin owners or those preparing to purchase a Tiffin product.

But again, this in ONLY my own opinion and preference. Others will vehemently disagree with me and will give you reasons why Tiffin or another brand that they chose is a better choice.

You have to take all the opinions you get here and then come to your own decision on what brand will be most reliable and is the best made. Best of luck with that decision ...it's should be a fun time looking at and comparing models and manufacturers. Let us know what you decide when you take the plunge.

eta: your opening post was edited during the time I was writing my reply and that's why some of what I've written may not make much sense.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome aboard!
Old 12-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #7

If you’re looking at a gas unit, then I would stay with either Tiffin or Newmar. I had a Tiffin 32SA. Loved the layout, but was very disappointed in the suspension. Maybe the newer chassis with the V8 engine handle and ride better than the 2019 unit we had. I would also it be afraid of looking at a used unit, either.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #8

Iride

I don't think I'll like to buy anything owned by Thor they laying off thousands over the USA I'm not buying anything from anyone like that so as long as Winnie bago doesn't sell out to Thor ill most likely buy newmar baystar I do like the forest river homes I'd be buying a super c or bus if diesel wasn't so high priced I'll just add thousands in solar panels and batteries to stay in truck stops and Walmarts and rest areas til I get from park to park I am from Montgomery Alabama dad was ass chief at retirement and went to Greenville Alabama chief of police few years there til full retirement past away in 03 I've been in tree service most of my life in many states I used to travel on my gold withing trikes pulling a trailer to make into a tent a lesure lite trailer 30 seconds you can be inside I'm in mapleton illionis Peoria Illinois county area now and I don't mind the cold weather til lately I'm on blood thinners now yes bad heart kinda I'm not married but been with my girlfriend Deb for many years now no need to marry it's only paper right lol I love to fish catch an release bass fishing only but I catch more crappy up in the north more bass in south go figure I'll teach any kid or whoever wants to learn to fish anyday just ask some times I lay around and watch TV if I think the fish are not biting ...but I don't have to catch a fish an I'm sstill happy I'm fishing..I'm not going catching yes of course you always like a live well full of fish but it's fun to fish I might pull my boat some time others not I can bank fish and be happy as well ttyl
Old 12-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
If youíre looking at a gas unit, then I would stay with either Tiffin or Newmar. I had a Tiffin 32SA. Loved the layout, but was very disappointed in the suspension. Maybe the newer chassis with the V8 engine handle and ride better than the 2019 unit we had.
Major chassis upgrades when they started installing the new engine.

Anyone have before/after information ?
Old 12-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

If you won't buy a Thor product because they are laying people off, you probably won't be buying a motorhome from anyone. The RV industry will respond to these changing times and will do what is needed to stay in business. A lack of new coach sales means reducing any labor expense not needed. It's happened in the past and will happen again. That's how our economy works.

Edit: Thor happens to own companies that produce a significant number of lower to mid range priced RVs. Over the last two years they built as fast as they could to keep up with the demand. The demand dried up for that price range about the same time the interest rates shot up. With inventory at an all time high, the demand dropped dramatically. New coach orders dried up so the manufacturers had no choice but to reduce the labor force. That's the reality of the RV industry.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #11

I am also an inventor and I'm selling off all my inventons to travel with my girlfriend the rest of our lives it's her time to shine I would buy a class c but I think gas be here lil longer than diesel fuel and I'd rather work on gas over diesel I can build or replair more diesel stuff but know lots about gas engines as well I'll take in for service as well but I'll do my own when I get time bor home if we don't sell the house not planning on living on road just yet I'd rather live on road on my 2023 Gold wing trike pulling a leesuurlite camper trailer but girlfriend doesn't ride vim scared she says I guess she never seen a motor home crash yet anyway good night and see you on the road I'm David Moody iride is my nick name of course
Old 12-13-2022, 09:35 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
THREAD WARNING!!

Rude posts have been edited or removed. If you can't post within the below Community Rules, don't post.

Quote:
Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice.
Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable.
Quote:
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ride