Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #29

You're right - booth dinette it is. Thanks!

Bruce.
2b555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Our former coach was a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. We ended up refurbishing the inside. We were able to select the couch, dinette, and dinette table that the the wife wanted. We also had new carpeting and laminated flooring installed. We had a bigger dinette installed than was there originally and had to slightly downsize the couch to fit. We ended up having much better quality furnishings after all was said and done. I would not be afraid of having new furnature or flooring installed unless you do not have confidence in the people working at that dealer. If you look at the web sites of companies that do refurbishing you will see that in some ocassions the flooring or sections of the floors have to be replaced and I would not worry about it as long as you have confidence in the people doing the work.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a Newmar KSCA at a show. It had a table & chairs. We wanted the booth dinette. Dealer said they make the change in about a week. 5 Weeks later, picked up the MH. Had over 1000 additional miles on it. Dinette table looked horrible. When we got home, my daughter came over, and went out to look at it. Got the end of her finger cut off by lifting the table, and leg came back down and pinched her finger. We started making big complaints, but decided to go ahead with a planned trip. Booth collapsed with granddaughter sitting in it. (she was maybe 80 lbs). We refused to take it back to that dealer. The manufacturer was doing everything they could to help. But no other Newmar dealers in a reasonable distance. Eventually took it to the shop of a nearby manufacturer (Rexhall), and they built a new dinette booth to our specs. Newmar paid for all repairs. The dealer we bought the coach from, shortly thereafter no longer carried Newmar products. We have nothing but good to say about Newmar, but the dealer, my comments would get censored on this forum!
The bottom line, Unless you know the track history of the dealer, and look at some of their interior work, don't do it.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
My brother and wife order their 5th wheel with a booth but it arrived with a table and chairs. The dealership was surprised that they just didn't say OK, we'll take it. The dealership offered an discount and agreed to fix it. In the end everything worked out well and my brother was happy especially after ending up with the better table (compared to the table that came with the booth).

On one of the first outing my brother & wife were taking with another couple at a campsite that had the same 5th wheel. Turns out that that the other couple ordered theirs from the same dealership & time period. The funny part is that couple ordered the table with chairs but got the booth instead.
Transposed orders...

And that is what happens a lot... When the order goes through, usually on the dealers end, there is a screw up and some things get transposed.. like the names of the people ordering... Happens.

And yes, i personally have seen things 'added' or changed at the factory. Ford, with all its tech and QC, put the wrong engine/tranny combo in a truck once. The dealers paperwork and confirmation from Ford proved it was Ford's fault.

In either case, its up to the dealer to correct the problem. Whether that means reordering, giving a discount, free upgrades, or longer warranty....

I'm surprised so many here are betting on the dealer being bad and doing a bait and switch... Makes ya wonder.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
1. I don't think I would press for replacing entire section of floor. Lots of potential for future problems if not done correctly and that is something I'll bet most dealers are not prepared to handle. Patch holes-OK If problem comes up with hole patch it's something you could fix.
2. Pride of ownership-get what you want. It's winter, did you have any trips planned before the reorder would show up? Go for radio and heated tanks on reorder for your trouble.
Let us know how it turns out.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #34

All good info. Will speak to the dealer in the am. As I said, I do not know who is at fault, and really don't care. I think we're going to try to duck any longer term problems (and the worry associated with it) and avoid additional expense for the dealer by ordering another one.

In addition, I don't feel like I've won the lottery because a mistake was made on my order. These things happen. It's just a little unfortunate that it happened on our first RV/MH order. Oh well. Not our first disappointment, and won't be our last. If the dealer tries to "keep us whole," I think we'll stick with them. They're only 6 miles down the road... and offer some pretty good benefits for being one of their customers.

I do have some trips planned for April. My brother suggested that the dealer may be able to provide a used vehicle (at no expense) until ours arrives. Good idea...

You folks are generous and very helpful. Thank you.

Bruce.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
My brother suggested that the dealer may be able to provide a used vehicle (at no expense) until ours arrives. Good idea...
Excellent idea...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b555 View Post
All good info. Will speak to the dealer in the am. As I said, I do not know who is at fault, and really don't care. I think we're going to try to duck any longer term problems (and the worry associated with it) and avoid additional expense for the dealer by ordering another one.

In addition, I don't feel like I've won the lottery because a mistake was made on my order. These things happen. It's just a little unfortunate that it happened on our first RV/MH order. Oh well. Not our first disappointment, and won't be our last. If the dealer tries to "keep us whole," I think we'll stick with them. They're only 6 miles down the road... and offer some pretty good benefits for being one of their customers.

I do have some trips planned for April. My brother suggested that the dealer may be able to provide a used vehicle (at no expense) until ours arrives. Good idea...

You folks are generous and very helpful. Thank you.

Bruce.
I like the way you think Good luck.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #37

Quick update on our saga. Spoke to Forest River - regional rep was familiar with the case and said that he told the dealer to, "make me happy." Indirectly indicated that the dealer made the mistake on the order, but is clearly trying to protect them. Fair enough.

I called dealer to tell them that we want to place a new order. They succinctly agreed to do this for us. No further discussion on the situation, no repetition of, "we're sorry," and no discussion of any concessions for our inconvenience. I hate to think that I am going to have to ask. Certainly this inconvenience is worth something... isn't it?

I have called another dealer to get a quote. This is discouraging because they want to negotiate the deal over again. I think I can get into the same $$ ballpark there. One issue is that they are 100 miles away.

One thing I am noting (detected it earlier, but after we signed our deal) - dealers have different prices for the options. Certainly this is no big revelation, but I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to revisit the pricing on the options I selected with my "current" dealer. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks all.

Bruce.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #38

If you feel the need to shop the deal with others, don't negotiate. You have a price you were okay with. This puts you in the driver's seat. Make an offer at some number under where you were happy or ask them to simply given you their best quote as you're not going to negotiate. Keep in mind that if the unit you want is on their lot or due in, you will get a much better deal.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #39

Only you know if you can or will be happy with the RV in question or if it would be better for peace of mind to re-order and wait for what you asked for, loaming time frame or not.

There been lots of good suggestions and feedback offered in previous posts. You also have some good ideas on what it will take for you to move forward with the RV in question or not. Follow your heart and think about it for a while. You will know what you need to do, either way is the right answer.

Take care and please keep us updated.
Terie
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Please do not make the assumption that a new unit will be 'PERFECT' when you get it. I assure you that it will have its share of problems. If you buy from a dealer 100 mi away, will you go there for service? Would it be a good idea to go the original dealer, that you left hanging, for service? Your call, I dunno.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #41
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Thats the ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Bruce,

I think I'd choose option 3 -- get a full refund and buy elsewhere.

Barb & Sena
This option I would take. It comes from the factory as ordered or my money back. Can't they read at the factory or worst, the Dealership made the mistake. You always find a Mechanic, that has his own service place and is not connected to any Brand or so. You should have no problem getting your MH serviced. We have our MH now for over 3 years and it was never back to the selling Dealer. Will never go to that place. I rather drive 1000 miles to a Dealer, that looks after my MH. Just my thoughts on this one.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Happened to us on a car we ordered (6 weeks wait) When it came in, it was the wrong interior color. They admitted they made the mistake. Was not going to wait another 6 weeks. So they made a deal on another vehicle that had 2 more options than the other one we had for the same price......

Hold your ground....If I was able to live with the coach the way they ordered it, I would ask for $2500 off.....

I wonder if the Rep. would be able to speed up re-ordering a new unit.....If you went that route.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote