Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave,the weather strip worked really well on my coach but when we met up with Brazels at Tenn. Rally was convinced to change out old TUBA for CAI. The S&B Filter works really well with the reprogramed ECM and new sparks and wires. An improvement of at lease 2 miles or better in mpg.
I still have the strip to protect the wiper plug and wiper motor. Its a pretty cheap fix to keep out the rain water.
Like everything else us OLD FOLK just like to spend our money I don't think its a Newmar problem but maybe its a Workhorse but no maybe it is a Newmar problem, see what I mean.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
RJC

New to this so bear with me. Working on 3rd filter box & as of Oct 23 will have had my 3rd Newmar snorkel fix. Last filter box was installed with all seams caulked by workhorse dealer. Last snorkel fix extends the intake to within 2" of under side of dash. My mech says engine can't breath. My dealer sent pics to Newmar & thats when the 3rd snorkel fix surfaced. I plan to head south in Nov so should get a test in the rain. As I still have warranty I refuse to let these guys off the hook. So will see what Oct. brings. we pay to much for these things to have to invent fixes on our own.
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 AM   #31

Would it not be better to put Workhorse related issues, problems, fixes , etc on the wORKHORSE site so that those of us not interested can use our time more effectively???

Let all Workhorse owners review postings, not just Newmars.

Thanks=== Aime====
Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #32
Administrator Emeritus

Aime, if you will look just below the subject line and just above the forum post area you will see the words "Related Content-Workhorse Chassis"....This is called a "shortcut" to a topic and means that this particular topic is "appearing" in not only where you are reading it,but also in the area that is listed,in this case the Workhorse Chassis Owner's Forum.

Here on iRV2 we have 27 moderators who are tasked with making sure topic posts are posted in the correct area and in some cases it may mean that topic appears in more than one area in an effort to get the "best" answer for the person asking the question.

Thank you for your continued support of iRV2!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RJC welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
The weather strip is your answer to your water problem. All the fixes are just compounding your engine to breath, your mech is correct. The filter box if correctly sealed should be ok if that is what they did correctly. The strip will also protect your windshield wiper motor and plug to it, if water gets into plug the wipers will go crazy.
You can have someone spray a hose at front of hood opening while you rev up the engine but I would place the weather strip first. When you do this and place strip across top crack of hood opening you will be raising the horn opening the height of you hood.
Hope this helps you if not just ask. You could also make a copy of this thread if your service people don't understand what your talking about.
As a Newmar owner you can become a member of this forum with a little KAMRA that I will provide and you will no longer be known as a new member.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To be fair we also have DP's and GAS on the "Newmar Forum" I read the DP issues with great interest.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #35

I fought water injestion issues for almost a year. Getting a straight answer from anyone was difficult. The Workhorse center i used assured me there was no problem with the air intake box.
I used rubber moulding around hood opening and I even modified the air intake to move its position high and to the passenger side away from direct intake from the front hood area.
One rainy day I stopped at my selling dealer and they installed a new filter to get me on my way down the road to a service center some 40 miles away. The technician and I noticed how tightly the new filter fit compared to the OEM.
Amazing, but the next 40 miles in the rain were event free...in fact all my water intake issues have disappeared.
Lesson learened: do the obvious first. Obviously the Workhorse center did not check the fit of the OEM filter. Replace that first, then see what else, if anything, is needed.
Now my 2005 Kountry Star runs great in any weather and my mileage is up to 7.6 MPG on the past 2340 miles based upon gals. consumed vs mileage driven and all of the miles have been at higher altitudes in MT, WY and UT.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your info KTYSTR the weather strip has worked for many of us plus the fittings into box have been a problem on newer chassis. It would seem you have fixed that, if you remember the filter part # you used it may help some others.
As you can see I no longer have the box or TUBA your simple fixes are the way to go unless you want to spend money like this OLD GUY.

How would you like to have some KAMRA and be a Newmar forum member its for free and I can fix it up for you.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
How would you like to have some KAMRA... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes Please a new Nikon SLR 8.0 MPX Digital would do just fine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow...what a useful thread for those of us who have old units...My 2001 has a funky hood issue and will allow water to pour in the engine compartment AT ANY SPEED! When locked down, there is a 2 inch gap between hood and couch body. The hinges have been repaired and it still fails to close properly. I do have the TUBA...but new to this MH. The Hurricane has hinges on the sides with a set of springs...none of which seem to work properly. With locks closed I have a big gap still. Seems to me it's only a matter of time before wiper or engine issues rear their ugly head.
Please feel free to school this rookie...
RVM #124
We're the new guys you see at Campground......
2001 Four Winds/ Thor P32 Hurricane 8.1L 31k miles
MarkEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #39

I have the Newmar fix on my 05 but in light rain yesterday I had the issue. Funny, but in heavy rain last spring it was fine. Thinking the heavy rain was a short amount of time vs. yesterday where we were driving in the rain for a few hours. First step based on my reading will be to remove and seal up the filter box.

If there is later/better information can someone provide an update?
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The filter box will suck in rain or just spray that's why many of us installed the CAI and many others made there own CAI as 0EMY did for his coach, his answers for a lot of Workhorse problems are here, enjoy your WH.

---