Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

New RV tips

Bought a new Coachman Leprechaun 319 MB, 33'. We fly to Dallas next weekend to look it over spend the night and drive it back to North Dakota. It is an RV so I'm expecting some issues but looking forward to being on the road. I'm spending a lot of time looking at:
1) RV trip programs and if it is worth?
2) What clubs show we consider?
3) Also looking at extended service warranty options. Who are some good companies to consider?
I appreciate any comments on anything. Thanks.

Scott
sressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Scott! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Be safe, have fun, and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Have it winterized before you leave, it's supposed to be in the 20's here at night next week. Stay at hotels on the way home I guess.

1). Get a Garmin RV GPS.
2). Good Sam gets you 10% discount at RV Parks and CampingWorld/Gander. FMCA has a decent Roadside Assistance plan.
3). You will find many opinions on extended warranty insurance.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sressler View Post
Bought a new Coachman Leprechaun 319 MB, 33'. We fly to Dallas next weekend to look it over spend the night and drive it back to North Dakota. It is an RV so I'm expecting some issues but looking forward to being on the road. I'm spending a lot of time looking at:

1) RV trip programs and if it is worth?

2) What clubs show we consider?

3) Also looking at extended service warranty options. Who are some good companies to consider?

I appreciate any comments on anything. Thanks.

Scott

With our old coach if we were traveling in freezing weather we would winterize the coach and not use the onboard water system until we reached warm weather. We use bottled water and flushed the toilet with windshield washer antifreeze. However, our new coach has a heated basement so we fill the fresh water tank and use on- board water.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Congrats on the new rig!

1) do you have a smart phone??? All you need is the free App RV Parky... CGs, trips, low clearance . When we get close to a large city we use Waze for traffic and detours if necessary.

2) Passport America half price CGs. 3 uses and it’s paid for itself.

3) You need a law degree to understand an extend warranty contract... to many exceptions.
60+ years and never bought an extended warranty on anything. OK, I did just buy travel insurance (first time ever) for some cruises mainly because of the current Corona issue.

Your pain threshold may be different than mine... no brain, no pain.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You may not like my warranty answer above do here’s a thread on them...happy reading. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ext...ty-499969.html
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott -

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you will be hitting winter right when it is the coldest! It is supposed to be cold all the way down to Dallas and will be freezing for your entire trip back north. Are you sure you don't want to head south for a couple of nights into the heart of Texas to warm up and shake out the MH before heading north?

As noted, you can still stay in the MH in freezing weather so long as you are careful with your water system. As you are flying in, you will have to pick up necessities like a dump slinky and a drinking hose (maybe heated). Cooking utensils may be limited but you can eat out and microwave as needed. You can use the refrigerator and bathroom but consider flushing with antifreeze. Watch the weather forecast and plan your trip to minimize travel in snow and wind if possible. Make sure you get a full propane tank as you will be using it a lot for heat on your trip north. You should be able to set it to a lower temperature and use it while driving.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice. The unit is winterized and I'm not going to use the water system this time. I need to head back south in a couple of months so I plan to stop back at the dealer to fix anything that is not working right. I'm not sure if we'll even stay over night in the MH on the drive back to ND? As long as the heater in the works and maybe the furnace or fireplace work we'll be ok. We can't wait for it to warm up a bit so we can get the bugs out. I'm not new to camping but knew to a MH.
sressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips