Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New sewer hose

I have had a variety of hoses over the years and have been replacing them at least once a year. If you look at the expense, it is adding up. I just got the Thetford SmartDrain from PPL today. The crazy thing is that I ordered it yesterday. I am in WA and they are in TX. Well, it did ship from OR.

Hooking it up was not a problem. The connectors were a bit fussy to engage but, once together, they seem fine. This hose is supposed to be crush resistant and of a heavy duty construction so the frequent pinhole problem should not happen as often. I had a Rino hose that failed. It was no better than any other I have had.

Has anyone tried this system yet? There is another manufacturer of a similar system but it costs twice as much. Any comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with that one,I've had the same camco hose for the past two years now and have no problems with it. Let us know how well it works and if you think it's worth the price. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen ads for it and was wondering how good it would be. Keep us posted on your thoughts about it. Thanks

SmartDrain Sewer System

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Once I am finished using the collection of 3 inch hoses I have purchased over the years, I will invest in the Polychute Sewer System which should be a lifetime purchase.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Once I am finished using the collection of 3 inch hoses I have purchased over the years, I will invest in the Polychute Sewer System which should be a lifetime purchase.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
$159 for a 16' hose with fittings .......... wow!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post

$159 for a 16' hose with fittings .......... wow!
Yes but ya get what you pay for, one that will last your lifetime.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My first Rhino fell apart at the seams at 9 months. I found a Rhino left in a park 4-5 years ago and it is still in great condition. I also have a very similar Ramble hose from CW I think ...it is probaby 7 yrs old and working well. Two things that can help: 1- never drag the hose on the ground or concrete; and 2-put a piece of rain gutter, half pvc pipe, or store bought support gizmo under the hose when you use it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New sewer hose

Quote:
Two things that can help: 1- never drag the hose on the ground or concrete; and 2-put a piece of rain gutter, half pvc pipe, or store bought support gizmo under the hose when you use it.

X2 - My Rhino hose is 6 years old and still looks brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Purchased a Smart hose back about Christmas.. Like it so far (Though Im not using in where I am parked just now) The hose seems to be very good quality, the ends seal on well,, I have had no problems with it.

Where I'm at now though I am using a 3-tank hookup and that takes (At this time) my older hose.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I do the rain gutter cover and usually do the caterpillar but I can't here at the kids house. My son is doing a lot of yard work next to the coach and the drain hose is moved often. The ground is ruff and my son will often be the one to move the hose. He is not a gentile as we RV types. But I don't think that is the problem with the hose. All the hoses use the same technology: a support coil and vinyl tape wrapped around it. The only real difference that I have seen is the thickness of the tape. With this new system the change is in the core. It is a tough poly plastic I believe and will flex when stepped on. Now to see what happens in the rough and tough environment of this yard.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes but ya get what you pay for, one that will last your lifetime......Dr4Film ----- Richard

At least,.... you hope that's the case.

;-)

JG
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

I have a Rhino (2nd one). It rusted out after the 1st year. This is the Rhino that collapses to about 3 feet and expands to 20 feet if you need. On a whim I decided to contact Rhino and tell them how crappy it was, they asked to pictures, the hose was out of warranty,but Rhino sent me a new replacement hose free of charge and it's working fine. I make sure after I use it to expand it and let it dry out for a day before I store it, I think that's why it rusted. Rhino said they had never seen anything like it.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
What are they thinking?

I dump a few minutes before leaving and then I am on the road.

I would not want to wait a day to let the hose dry out before having to store my "stinky slinky".

Sounds like Rhino has some quality control issues they need to address OR maybe not. If the hose is shot in one year they most likely like the idea of people having to repurchase again and again and again.

Sorry, I won't be one of them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
SmartDrain update

Well, the good, the bad and the ugly is my story. I got my SmartDrain from PPL and all was fine... for a while. I needed to use the maceration pump for the black tank disposal which meant disconnecting the hose adapter. One day a few weeks ago after the dump I noticed that the adapter went back onto the coach dump tube loosely. The gasket was GONE! Not to be seen anywhere!!! The gasket is not a standard anything. I called PPL and they talked to Thetford about the problem. Thetford told PPL to send me a new drain KIT. I was flabbergasted to say the least. Well, the new kit came OVERNIGHT and that was another surprise. On my first attempt to use the new adapter the gasket tore. It was not in the adapter correctly and failed when I tried to reposition it.

I am in the process of trying to locate a durable replacement gasket. Any help will be appreciated. The overall setup should last a long time but the gasket problem renders the hose useless when it fails. Thetford fell far short on this product design.

Rick Y