Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New "storm door" installed

My wife wanted to be able to look out when the A/C was running. We looked for a storm door screen for Motorhomes to no avail. So, she came up with the idea to make our own. Purchased two sheets of clear acrylic, some plastic molding at the Home Impv't. store and now we have a neat revised screen door. I made a three sided frame that the panels slide into with a couple of "button fasteners" on the open side to hold steady. Works great! I'll post some pics asap. of the project. Glad to share any info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We did that 4 years ago when we bought our current coach, and ditto for the coach we had before that one. We really like to have the big outer door open during the day when the a/c is on. Works well aslo on chilly spring & fall days.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alleyman,

I would love to see pictures of this and will likely have questions. It sure is dark, in the TT, when the door is shut.

Thanks!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the read and comment. I plan to take pics this weekend and I will post.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Alleyman,

I would love to see pictures of this and will likely have questions. It sure is dark, in the TT, when the door is shut.

Thanks!

Sheila
Not to steal Alleyman's thunder; but while we're waiting for his pics, here is a shot of the storm door I did for our rig. I didn't go with a frame as Alleyman described, but I just fastened the acrylic panels to the screen door frame with turn buttons. Works well to keep heat inside in cool weather and to keep cool inside in warm weather. We store the plastic behind the couch when we want to let the breezes in.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Alleyman did his frames.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #6

I believe you and yours will really enjoy the new door year round keeping the A/C inside in the summer and the heat inside in the winter I installed one on my Georgie Boy about 5 yrs ago and we are very happy with it. I would suggest one small hint. If you have slides you might want to either open the door or a window to let the large amount of air being forced inside the coach when closing. I found that if I didn't it would put unneeded pressure on the panels. Enjoy and safe traveling...
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks REALLY good Paz!! I will bet that you get a lot of people asking how you did it.

I, too, am looking forward to the pictures a I will be saving this thread for future reference.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pics of new MH storm door

I have attached some pics of the completed storm door . Please respond with questions or comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0438.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	5266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0441.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	5267  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0439.jpg